Ferrets as Pets?

Ferrets as Pets?

Hi, I was just wondering- do ferrets make good pets at all? I have been doing some research on/off and think they'd be a great addition to my family. If it helps to answer, I already have two guinea pigs, so I already have some experience working with small furry critters. I of course understand about odor, cleaning the cage, diet, etc. Just wondering for those of you with ferrets of your own! Thanks so much for your opinions!

Did you ever get the ferrets?

I adore ferrets. They are super smart and full of entertaining mischief. They love to play.

I have had them a couple different times, both unplanned, at the will of people who didn't want them anymore who asked me to take them. I really loved them, but I will not keep them again, because there really is no way to completely control the odor they have, even though they will use litter boxes.

They need a lot of room to run around, so really a typical cage is too small; I let them run around the house whenever I was at home.

One of them did some really crazy stuff. He was taking socks out of the laundry and pulling them into a hole the repair man left in the wall behind the bathtub. I couldn't figure out where all my socks were going. He left alone all the other laundry things, just taking socks. I guess he liked foot odor. I found school notebooks pulled under the sofa, all 3 bags of the candy for Halloween was pulled behind the dishwasher. They can drag things heavier than themselves, and get into tiny places, so I would lose a lot of things.

I used to have a neighbor that had a ferret, I barely caught a fast glimpse of him when I was there, he was always hiding behind the couch or somewhere else. I asked if it was just because I was there, and they said no, he always hid like that.

The ones I had were curious about people and animals, so they would come out of hiding spots to greet everyone.

I think they are nice pets. At one time my mother-in-law had a ferret along with a cat and 2 dogs. Everyone was a rescue and they all got along. The ferret was sweet and liked to be picked up and held. He was paper trained, liked to sleep in a drawer lined with towels that she kept slightly open for him. She never kept him in a cage and he was really fine. Nine memory of my mother-in-law who passed away last year...she loved animals and always took in strays...my hubby takes after her with his love of animals also
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.