(Too late) reminder to myself and similar fools

(Too late) reminder to myself and similar fools

When your dog finds himself/herself in a vicious fight (seemingly to the death) with another dog, NEVER, EVER, EVER try to pull a dog out of a fight with your hand(s).

1) Your hand will NOT break up the dogs. And it will NOT stop the fight.

2) It will most likely make the fight WORSE.

3) YOU. WILL. BE. INJURED. You could lose the use of your hand permanently.

When you see your loved one in this hellish situation, it can be extremely hard to stop yourself from trying to grab your dog. Rational thought goes out the window. Grab your brain and don't let go. Do NOT put your hand in.

The truth is, most random, unforeseen dog fights, however horrible and deadly intense in appearance, have not even required a visit to the vet afterwards in my personal experience. If there is no way to intervene without using your limbs, your dog is better off if you let the fight run its course, however difficult that is. Despite all appearances to the contrary, chances are your dog will survive with passing injuries. And if you put your limb in you are likely to come out of the fight WORSE than either dog left alone. Do not introduce your limb.

Sorry, I feel so unbelievably stupid. The brain is naturally prone to shutting down in an emergency.

I wavered all morning whether to go to the hospital for stitches. I have real issues with the modern medical world. I think most people with this injury would have gone for stitches. But for some reason my body heals quickly and skillfully. I think it is because of heightened immunity from the garden of good bacteria in my gut. I am eating extra sauerkraut today. The little people inside me are already at work
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 11-19-2016 at 06:18 AM.

Thanks for the reminder Dog Force, a much needed one here. There were a couple of times over the years that a fight looked like it was starting, and I'd run over shouting to put a stop to it so my dog wouldn't be hurt. Lucky for me and my dogs, we never had an intense fight, but I would still, to this day, feel driven to intervene to protect my furkid. My dogs have been bit a couple of times, but more of a chase and a bite, nothing requiring a vet.

I'm so sorry to hear you were bitten, and I hope your dog is okay. How long is the wound, and where exactly is it located? I'm like you, I hesitate to involve doctors or hospitals unless I absolutely have to. There are things like "butterfly stitch" bandaids, small strong bandaids that are better than regular ones to hold the skin together tight for healing. Also, pouring rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide into the wound helps fight infection.

Glad the little people inside you are already at work, a healthy gut and strong immune system is so important. I take liquid probiotics and eat things like yogurt, plain greek. I think you can also put coconut oil or honey on the wound to help heal. Take care.....hugs.

Oh, Dog Force One, I am so sorry to read your news! No, you are definitely not stupid and no matter how much you may want to tell yourself that, I won't believe it! The real truth is that you acted with your heart rather than your head - but that is not being stupid. Even after reading your post, I'm not sure how I would react in such a situation with my dog, Forgy. My first instinct would be to save him, even if I know I shouldn't risk injury. So even if you think you were stupid, then you would have me for company in the fool's club, LOL!

I also avoid doctor's surgeries and hospitals (unless extremely urgent indeed). You are just as likely to pick up nasty bugs there (even MRSA in hospitals - my father died in hospital after getting infected by it in a hospital). I wish you a quick and healthy recovery, although do please monitor your injury carefully and seek help if you need it. I assume you thoroughly disinfected the wound after being injured?

Get well soon and please update us on how you getting on.

Thank you for your thoughts, Alpha and LPC. All the blood and violence yesterday was scary and shaking, but my hand is already doing its weird rapid healing thing. It's kind of freaky really. Almost like watching one of those sped-up videos. I won't complain.

It was Benny and Joey. I misjudged the balance that seemed to be in place. Benny, in all likelihood from dealing with heaven knows what happened to him on the streets before he came to me, instantly gets in fights with almost any other male dog. It's a defense mechanism, I'm sure, because if I pick him up as we go past some male dog, he can control himself. Benny is not an aggressive or mean dog in the least bit, except around other males. Joey for his part is easygoing and also a very nice dog, but of course when Benny comes after him he fights back. And the thing is, Joey is muscular and has a low center of gravity. He is very strong. So Benny always comes out worse whenever he has gone after Joey.

Well, I thought I had it under control. Observation seemed to show that as long as Benny and Joey were not closed in somewhere, they would avoid a fight. So I never left them in the same room anymore. They had been okay spending time in the yard together, where there is more "free space". We've been fine like this for some time now. But then yesterday, the public water bill collector came by the gate, and all four dogs were in the yard. They started barking as they do when strangers come, and they got agitated. Benny and Joey were jumping around barking, getting worked up, and then realized they ended up bouncing next to each other, and BAM.

So no more. No more. No more. From now on, Benny and Joey must take turns in the yard and must always be in separate parts of the house. Well, it's a big hassle and one I had hoped would not come about, but even if I had time for training, I don't think anything I could do would turn off Benny's deeply ingrained "attack to defend" mechanism.

Silly, wasteful situation. They are both wonderful dogs except in this situation, and I love them both. In any case, even if I did consider re-homing Joey, there are no mechanisms for that here. No shelters, and few people who take care of dogs, much less take care of them well.

Anyway, I've already decided. It is in theory manageable, and Benny has not minded spending the day upstairs in the bedroom when I go to work. He has not complained. Joey spends the day downstairs with the girls Boise and Sunny. (Maye Boise or Sunny would like to be upstairs with Benny, too.) Yes, it's awkward. It's inconvenient. It's not ideal for me or for the dogs. It's not perfect. But what on this Earth is, right?

The story continues.

LPC, very sorry to hear about what happened to your Dad with the mrsa.

Dog Force, so sorry to hear it was Benny and Joey, I thought they were getting along okay. I know it must be stressful to keep them separated like that, guess that's needed unless you muzzle one of them when you're gone. You're kind to those dogs, they're lucky to have you! Heal quickly and completely my friend.

You can buy butterfly bandages and put this on your wound , if a puncture wound you need to keep an eye on it . I hope you'll feel better fast. My dog was bitten by a dog and I use my cane on the dog to made him let go of my dog butt but that didn't work . The dog owners pull their dog off mine. Marty was also attacked bay another dog who had pinned down on the ground and it was so horrible to watch I wanted to pull the dog off but I knew it wouldn't be wise to do . The owner pulled their dog off and my dog was going attack the dog if I hadn't pulled him back with his leash.

You can buy butterfly bandages and put this on your wound , if a puncture wound you need to keep an eye on it . I hope you'll feel better fast. My dog was bitten by a dog and I use my cane on the dog to made him let go of my dog butt but that didn't work . The dog owners pull their dog off mine. Marty was also attacked bay another dog who had pinned down on the ground and it was so horrible to watch I wanted to pull the dog off but I knew it wouldn't be wise to do . The owner pulled their dog off and my dog was going attack the dog if I hadn't pulled him back with his leash. I posted a video on how to use the bandage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9R2etUOxXI

Sorry to hear about those 2 fighting and you getting hurt...glad you're healing fast. Keeping the wound clean and applying Neosporin coupled with eating your homemade sauerkraut should do the trick. I have hope that a little separation between Benny and Joey will work. Then you could re-introduce them while you oversee the situation and they will be friends again. Good luck my friend
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.