Is my goldfish fat or just sick?

Is my goldfish fat or just sick?

Hello,

I have a pearlscale goldfish named Allison. Allison is twelve years old. There is also a four year old oranda named Duchess Elizabeth Antoinette Oranda who has no problems. The tank is 20 gallons.

Allison has some kind of red sore on her belly; it has been there for a couple of years, has some sort of red flesh protruding from it, and has not been cured by multiple treatments of Tetra brand "Fungus Guard" (nitrofurazone & potassium dichromate).

She also has had a growth on her head for about a year and a half. I swear it is not fungus or ich; rather than being white and cottony, it is a fleshy lump about the same color of her head and has been growing out and curling back around her head.

Finally, she is quite rotund. I call her my little golf ball. She has been this way for at least two or three years and does not swim with her fins so much as waddle and thrash around to move. This wasn't really a problem until maybe a month and a half ago when she began having a lot of trouble moving and feeding. She can barely move, she cannot swim all the way to the top of the tank, and often flips over onto her back when she tries to move. For the last month or so she hasn't really been able to feed on her own; I have to gently pick her up and bring her to the top of the tank with my hand and kind of bring her to the food flakes and touch her mouth to them so she can eat them. Lately she doesn't seem to always see the flakes (I used to be able to just support her body while she thrashed up to the flakes she wanted but she doesn't really do that anymore).

Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on and what, if anything, I can do about it? Sometimes I wonder if the problem could be brain damage from the growth on her head. She is quite old and may be just starting a spiral towards the inevitable. She's a very good fish and I want to take good care of her.

I came across some information that might be of help here http://completegoldfishcare.com/gold...ease-symptoms/

Hi Petty254,
    Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately Allison passed away a few weeks ago. She was a good little fish. Thank you for the link, hopefully it will help me with other fish in the future.
    Robin

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.