Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is CYTOPOINT and SHOULD YOU Use it on Your Dog?

What is CYTOPOINT and SHOULD YOU Use it on Your Dog?

IF you happen to have an allergic dog, then you WILL be hearing about this NEW Drug called 'CYTOPOINT'

The company literature says that CYTOPOINT is an innovative new therapy that targets itch at its source to help relieve the signs of atopic dermatitis in dogs for a month or longer with a single injection.

How does CYTOPOINT help reduce itch and allow damaged skin to heal?

CYTOPOINT is different from traditional drugs that treat itch. It is a biological therapy—a type of non-pharmaceutical treatment that works like your dog’s immune system. CYTOPOINT contains engineered antibodies very similar to natural dog antibodies. Antibodies are what an animal’s immune system uses to defend the body against infection or disease.
    In this case, the antibodies in CYTOPOINT have been designed to specifically target and neutralize one of the main proteins that sends itch signals to your dog’s brain.

This helps reduce scratching so the skin has a chance to heal.

CYTOPOINT is an injection that your veterinarian gives your dog once every 4 to 8 weeks, as needed.

In studies, after one injection, CYTOPOINT started controlling itch within 1 day, and kept itch controlled for a month or longer. CYTOPOINT also helped damaged skin begin to heal within 7 days

IS it SAFE?
    The company says very safe, I am urging caution.

Here is what the company says:

In a clinical study, dogs receiving CYTOPOINT injections had no more side effects than dogs who received placebo injections (injections with no treatment at all).

CYTOPOINT is safe to use in dogs of any age, and can be used with many other commonly used medications and in dogs with other diseases.

Because CYTOPOINT is a biological therapy and not a drug, it is naturally broken down and recycled by the body. It is not eliminated from the body via the liver or kidneys like most pharmaceutical drug products. This is one of the reasons CYTOPOINT can be a safe choice for your dog.

Exactly WHAT is it?

CYTOPOINT is a monoclonal antibody (mAb)* that specifically targets and neutralizes canine IL-31,† an important cytokine‡ involved in sending the itch signal to the brain in atopic dermatitis

Antibodies are substances produced by the body to fight disease ( a blood protein).

Antibodies, also known as immunoglobulins, are Y-shaped proteins that are produced by the immune system to help stop intruders from harming the body.

When an intruder enters the body, the immune system springs into action. These invaders, which are called antigens, can be viruses, bacteria, or other chemicals.

When an antigen is found in the body, the immune system will create antibodies to mark the antigen for the body to destroy.

IS it SAFE to be INJECTING Antibodies into your dog?

Well 'Zoetis' (the company that makes CYTOPOINT) says YES, common sense says to urge caution.

We have NEVER injected antibodies into dogs before as a course of any type of treatment.

In fairness this is on the cutting edge of new therapies for treating disease in people and animals, but there is still much we don't know.

WHAT ABOUT ALL the STUDIES?

How about ONLY 1 study performed by the company..

Data on file, Study Report No. C961R-US-13-051, Zoetis LLC.

WHY No Independent University Studies?

Seems to me that a large multinational drug company like Zoetis could afford some, and probably in the best interest of pet safety to get some non biased research.

I would prefer to see some peer reviewed clinical studies before I can safely encourage you to try this drug on your dog.

And WHERE is the FDA?

Dr. Edward Jones

he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I use it after extensive trial testing and it works

Wow - never seen such a negative message about a product that works and was trial tested

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    IF you happen to have an allergic dog, then you WILL be hearing about this NEW Drug called 'CYTOPOINT'

The company literature says that CYTOPOINT is an innovative new therapy that targets itch at its source to help relieve the signs of atopic dermatitis in dogs for a month or longer with a single injection.

How does CYTOPOINT help reduce itch and allow damaged skin to heal?

CYTOPOINT is different from traditional drugs that treat itch. It is a biological therapy—a type of non-pharmaceutical treatment that works like your dog’s immune system. CYTOPOINT contains engineered antibodies very similar to natural dog antibodies. Antibodies are what an animal’s immune system uses to defend the body against infection or disease.
    In this case, the antibodies in CYTOPOINT have been designed to specifically target and neutralize one of the main proteins that sends itch signals to your dog’s brain.

This helps reduce scratching so the skin has a chance to heal.

CYTOPOINT is an injection that your veterinarian gives your dog once every 4 to 8 weeks, as needed.

In studies, after one injection, CYTOPOINT started controlling itch within 1 day, and kept itch controlled for a month or longer. CYTOPOINT also helped damaged skin begin to heal within 7 days

IS it SAFE?
    The company says very safe, I am urging caution.
    Here is what the company says:

In a clinical study, dogs receiving CYTOPOINT injections had no more side effects than dogs who received placebo injections (injections with no treatment at all).

CYTOPOINT is safe to use in dogs of any age, and can be used with many other commonly used medications and in dogs with other diseases.

Because CYTOPOINT is a biological therapy and not a drug, it is naturally broken down and recycled by the body. It is not eliminated from the body via the liver or kidneys like most pharmaceutical drug products. This is one of the reasons CYTOPOINT can be a safe choice for your dog.

Exactly WHAT is it?

CYTOPOINT is a monoclonal antibody (mAb)* that specifically targets and neutralizes canine IL-31,† an important cytokine‡ involved in sending the itch signal to the brain in atopic dermatitis

Antibodies are substances produced by the body to fight disease ( a blood protein).

Antibodies, also known as immunoglobulins, are Y-shaped proteins that are produced by the immune system to help stop intruders from harming the body.

When an intruder enters the body, the immune system springs into action. These invaders, which are called antigens, can be viruses, bacteria, or other chemicals.

When an antigen is found in the body, the immune system will create antibodies to mark the antigen for the body to destroy.

IS it SAFE to be INJECTING Antibodies into your dog?

Well 'Zoetis' (the company that makes CYTOPOINT) says YES, common sense says to urge caution.

We have NEVER injected antibodies into dogs before as a course of any type of treatment.

In fairness this is on the cutting edge of new therapies for treating disease in people and animals, but there is still much we don't know.

WHAT ABOUT ALL the STUDIES?

How about ONLY 1 study performed by the company..

Data on file, Study Report No. C961R-US-13-051, Zoetis LLC.

WHY No Independent University Studies?

Seems to me that a large multinational drug company like Zoetis could afford some, and probably in the best interest of pet safety to get some non biased research.

I would prefer to see some peer reviewed clinical studies before I can safely encourage you to try this drug on your dog.

And WHERE is the FDA?

Dr. Edward Jones

81 pound dog was given this Monday. Thursday I had Cytopoint given to my 14 pound dog. Ok so this has not been in the systems long, but stopped all feet licking due to allergies. I am so hoping it will last. The 14 pound Jack Russell is three and has had allergy for two years, so bad she has ended up at Michigan State Veterinary due to infections.

Very expensive to give the shot, $180 for the large dog and $80 for the Jack.

go to forums, dog health and read these posts

+ Reply to ThreadResults 1 to 15 of 15

Has your dog reacted badly to 'Cytopoint' injection (new anti-itch shot)

he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

No not at all so far and hope not. The Rott Mix was given it the other day and all is good. The Jack was only this morning, but no licking. She has a life history of severe allergies. Apoquel has no effect on her allergies and she can not have steroids. I have kept her on Benadryl with only minor relief. SO maybe this is the answer.

hope so for your sake, hope it doesn't cause more problems than it cures.

I am very leary of new meds, ever since they tooted how good that six month heart worm shot was and how many dogs died from it before they pulled it off the market?

My dog is a 14 year old Shepherd mix with life-long skin allergies that have long turned her belly skin into "elephant skin." I think I've tried everything, and prednisone worked best. Apoquel made her fur fall out, especially around her face. My vet encouraged me to give the Cyto shot a try. Lesson learned to read these forums before trying anything new - I honestly had no idea this treatment was so new.

The first shot, given on 8/21, seemed to work great. Stopped her constant licking/scratching, and she seemed happy and energetic. So when she started chewing on herself again about a month later, I had a second shot administered. That was just about 2 weeks ago. At first, it just didn't seem to help. But now, it's like my poor dog's entire body is broken out with a yeast infection. Am taking her in today to vet. She's having a terrible time eating - just gums her food and rubs her chin all over the furniture. She's shivering, so assume that's a fever? I feel just horrible I did this to my baby. I've been using my vet clinic for 20 years. I just didn't think to question, but this was a brand new vet on staff.

A question on the advice re: probiotics if they give her antibiotics. Where do you get these for a dog? From a pet store, or from vet? My dog is about 48 pounds.

You can get probiotics either on line or any place that sells pet products, I don't know about petsmart or pet co but a high end pet food store would have them. Even Amazon carries them. Probiotics does not go by weight of the dog, just give one pill daily, it also comes in a powder form so you can mix it with her food. I think the pill is easier but just so you know it does come in a powder.

If the vet suggests ATOPICA (cyclosporin) say NO! That is a killer drug, perfectly healthy dogs other than skin allergies have taken it and had stage five cancer in a matter of months. It kills the T cells and cancer takes over. Check it out on line if you want.

Well about week into the shot. Results are the licking on the Rott mix gone. I just could not afford to have her given it again to be honest. SO I hope it last till the frost which will clear the fall allergies. Jack has suffered for the three years we have had her. Nothing has worked ever, even the three day stays at MI State. Results are skin not as red and licking has dropped about 90%. Bed time the licking starts but this is the best result ever with her. The little girl has decorated bubble collars when it has gotten bad in the past.

Will I give again to the Jack? After reading here, I will take her to MI State Vet and see if they feel it is ok rather than the new Vet office.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    You can get probiotics either on line or any place that sells pet products, I don't know about petsmart or pet co but a high end pet food store would have them. Even Amazon carries them. Probiotics does not go by weight of the dog, just give one pill daily, it also comes in a powder form so you can mix it with her food. I think the pill is easier but just so you know it does come in a powder.

If the vet suggests ATOPICA (cyclosporin) say NO! That is a killer drug, perfectly healthy dogs other than skin allergies have taken it and had stage five cancer in a matter of months. It kills the T cells and cancer takes over. Check it out on line if you want.
    Thanks for letting me know - I haven't heard my vet suggest Atopica or cyclosporin. She gave my dog antibiotics for the yeast infection (I also asked about the probiotics, and she gave me some packets). She ran bloodtests, and was skeptical of my suspicion that her condition has anything to do with the Cyto. The vet also kind of dismissed my concerns about this treatment only having one study on it (by the maker) and she said that she checked my dog's symptoms against a database where vets from across the country are logging side effects to this treatment. She said none of the symptoms were in there. She is thinking Valley Fever, but we won't know on that for another week.

Regardless, I definitely wouldn't recommend this treatment - I'd investigate other solutions. $108 a pop for each shot plus $400 for the visit, meds and bloodwork yesterday made it pretty costly. Not to mention gambling with the health of my pet.

I wish everyone the best who's trying this treatment and dealing with unexpected side-effects. Thanks so much for posting all of this.

read this article https://draxe.com/colloidal-silver-benefits/

One of my daughter's bulldogs kept getting ear infections, yeast and another thing hard to get rid of, her vet recommended using silver instead of a regular antibiotic and it really worked. Silver has been known for many years as an antibiotic. You can read many articles on the benefits of silver. But read the above link, you have nothing to loose by trying it at this point

this article specifically explains the benefits of silver for dogs

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...loidal-silver/

My 1 year old Boston Terrier has had 2 shots of Cytopoint and wont be getting any more. After the 2nd injection he broke out in what looked like a scalding rash and is also having trouble with his leg. He acts like his leg is really stiff and almost walks sideways. I'm praying this goes away. It has been 1 month today since his last Cytopoint injection. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and going back to my original plan. I will not run to the vet for relief without also trying to find a cause for whatever is causing the problem. I've started keeping a diary and my Boston gets very red from being outside. So, I'm assuming environmental allergies. Bathing seems to help so I am going to keep on that track for now and see if I can figure out what is outside that he's sensitive to.

also it might be a good idea to get unscented baby wipes and wipe his feet, belly and face when he comes in from outside, get off as much of the irritant as you can. after his bath use resicort conditioner, rub it in well and do not rinse off

Thanks so much Linda! I will definitely try this.

Hi Linda,
    It looks as if Resicort has been taken off the market. However, Vitasone 1% sounds like it may work. Have you had any experience with Vitasone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.