Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do I give him up?

Do I give him up?

In desperate need of advice. I don't want advice from the humane society. They figure the dog has a home and that's that. I love my pit but I live in the mountains and he's cooped up in the house all day, under stimulated, just like the pound. I have a demanding work schedule/life and I don't want to dedicate my little free time to a dog. He's not happy and nether am I. It is a constant source of anxiety. I figured if we could just get to summer, I could adequately excercise him and keep him in my fenced yard. I also may be enlisting at the end of summer. To me, this situation is not the answer. The answer to me is neutering and spaying to prevent unwanted animals having to live their lives in kennels... not trying to change the animals personality...
    Last edited by Racinkc1; 01-27-2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: People don't understand what I'm asking

Hi Race- Neutering is unrelated, and it is not the answer. It will probably make things much worse.
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 01-27-2017 at 05:07 PM.

neutering will not change is personality. The dog needs exercise to release that pent up energy. Can you install a doggie door so he can go in and out? Or can you have someone go in a couple of times a day to take him out and play with him, run him ect. Its not fair to the dog to keep him cooped up in the house all day every day. Waiting for summer is not the answer, winter will come again and you'll have the same problem. You need to spend more time with him or hire someone to spend time with him, he is not happy with this arrangement. If you can't schedule some time to be with him then the best thing you can do is to find him a new home.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'm not trying to change his personality, he's already neutered. When I said that I'm meaning responsible pet ownership and not breeding animals that will wind up unwanted in over populated kennels across the country. It's a sad thing we do to them. Neutering and spaying is the answer cause there are too many unwanted pets!!!! It looks like I need to give him up. SAD.

I know what you are saying but why would you get a dog knowing you work long hours and the dog would be left alone all day and when you are home you don't want to spend your free time doing things with him? In my opinion that in itself is abuse. You have to remember you have a life outside of the home, you have friends, go places ect, the dog has no one but you. And if you are never around to do things with him and train and play with him that poor dog has a miserable life, always alone. Dogs want to be part of the family not left alone day after day with nothing to do but eat and sleep. If you could get someone to come in a couple of times a day, play with and exercise him he'd be a much happier dog and wouldn't demand so much attention from you.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Racinkc1 View Post
    In desperate need of advice. I don't want advice from the humane society. They figure the dog has a home and that's that. I love my pit but I live in the mountains and he's cooped up in the house all day, under stimulated, just like the pound.

I have a demanding work schedule/life and I don't want to dedicate my little free time to a dog.

He's not happy and nether am I. It is a constant source of anxiety.

I figured if we could just get to summer, I could adequately excercise him and keep him in my fenced yard. I also may be enlisting at the end of summer.
    Considering all you say about the dog being cooped up alone all day, not wanting to dedicate what little free time you have to the dog, that you're both unhappy and anxious and that you intend to enlist at the end of summer....I would recommend you do what's best for both of you. Take the time to find the dog a good loving forever home with a family who will treat him well and keep him as part of the family. Just be very careful to make sure the people who adopt him are able to care for him and responsible animal lovers. Good luck, please let us know what happens.

I agree with all that's been said here. I feel sorry for both you and your dog...no wins here. When you put him up for adoption please get vet references and actually check them. Yes please keep us posted.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

If you like you can post his photo and more information about him here, with the general location in the state where you live. http://www.petforums.com/forumdispla...6-Pet-Adoption

Great idea Alpha!!

Wow Linda, you guilt trip me more than the dog! I was just trying to give him a home. My bad!
    Last edited by Racinkc1; 01-27-2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Becsuse

I didn't mean to beat up on you and it's a tough situation. Your dog deserves to have a happy life.

Its not a matter of guilting you, you are not being fair to the dog. This is a pet forum and pets are our priority

[QUOTE=Esme;44095]I agree with all that's been said here. I feel sorry for both you and your dog...no wins here. When you put him up for adoption please get vet references and actually check them. Yes please keep us posted.[/QUOT

Thank you Esme. The shelter agreed to take him back. I'll try to find him a home for a little but that's it. The shelter has more resources than I do and I hate to put him on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    If you like you can post his photo and more information about him here, with the general location in the state where you live. http://www.petforums.com/forumdispla...6-Pet-Adoption
    Thanks for the advice alpha, I will put him on there now. Anything I can do to help the poor guy out...

It's good that the shelter will take him back and you're right about no craigslist...too many kooks. You want to find him a safe, loving home and because of his breed the shelter or here are your best bets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.