Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

My Poor Josie

My Poor Josie

Well I forget how to start a new thread.... but my poor Josie girl ruptured (not just tore but ruptured) her ACL , I know a torn ACL will heal itself but he said this isn't good , the ruptured one and he also said her meniscus could be torn .

The vet took several x-rays and he recommended surgery first,2) then braces and we have to drive her to PA 3)just pills and quiet. So I went to this website ... www.mypetsbrace.com and it is a wonderful thing! A client at our vet had surgery on her dog and the poor little guy after he was healed ,tore it again. So she said she wasn't putting him through it again and search the internet and found My Pets Brace in Morgantown, PA . I watched their videos and I am really enthusiastic about this.

We want to wait though until all the bad snow stops so we can have a safer trip,,,, but who knows when that will be. I want to go soon. And believe it or not my husband does too! The girl at the vet that went is having tremendous success ! It heals the dog ! I know Surgery is not 100% guarantee nothing is really , but I would rather try this than surgery. It is expensive, but Josie is worth it. The brace for dogs under 105 lbs is $800 plus you have to drive to PA UNLESS your vet will cast the dog for you as shown in the video , then you can send it to them and they will send it back when the brace complete.

But my vet said he don't do the casting for this because the measurements have to be VERY PRECISE, one little tiny little mistake will make the brace not fit correctly. Sigh............. So I have an appointment tomorrow with another vet for 2nd opinion and what he thinks about the Brace. This surgeon only goes to this other vet once every 6 weeks.

I just want o make sure I do the best for her. And get the load off the good leg. But I am sure we are gonna go to PA. I hope real soon. We have dr appoint. for ourselves but , this is more important. The Vet even recommends the Brace over surgery.
    The videos the place provides to show dogs with them and their success is very encouraging!
    Well just thought I would let everyone know in case they would like to check into it.

I am so sorry to hear that about Josie. Getting a second opinion is a good idea and I hope it works out. PA weather has been mild so far so I hope it stays that way when you have your appt. Good luck and keep us posted.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Sad news there about your Josie. Good that you're getting a second opinion for her. How did it happen?

Hi Alph, well she hurt it in 3/16 playing to rough , then she was ok then it wasn't torn or anything. Then the 23rd of this month it was raining out side and she slipped in the rain
    and when she did it stopped her in her tracks! I went out for her and she could barely make it back. My poor girl. She didn't want to sit down though the day before when I walked her, she always sits when I say at stop signs and when cars are coming or other people walking by, and was acting a little like she hurt. All I know is when she was running in the rain she stopped dead. My heart sank! So for now she is on Previcox and Tramadol. Jax don't understand what is wrong and why she can't play poor boy.

Thanks Esme , she is only 1 year and 5 months. I never had surgery on a dog before for ACL they always healed themselves, but the vet said she has a bit too much play in her socket too. So maybe that is why he is pushing for the brace. I don't know if a rupture and a tear are different . But he never ever wanted surgery on Levi or Smokey or Nyla when they tore theirs. He said they would be worse off and the best thing to do is keep them quiet and minimal walking etc. and the scar tissue would heal it up. And it did. But now with Josie I don't know , why he is pushing for the brace( but with the socket having too much play and he said her meniscus could be torn too and since she hurt last year in March it may be a problem that won't go away without help. ...they are costly too. but it will help her in the long run for when she get older. I will see what they say tomorrow she goes at 5:15pm .
    I hope PA stays mild too! Morgantown is clean across the state! Oh yes I will keep you informed

Vicky, if its a partial tear it will heal itself with rest, a full tear will require surgery. Don't let them talk you into PTLO surgery. Tell them you want the traditional. With the TPLO they actually cut into the bone and put a plate and screws, if it gets infected there is no blood flow through the plate and screws so it won't heal, it will spread
    throughout the leg and possibly further necessitating amputation. With the traditional they stabilize the leg with 80 pound test line, if for whatever reason something goes wrong which is seldom does they can just redo it. Just be aware that if she tore one side its not unusual for the other side to go within two years. Thats because with the torn side she is putting all her weight on the good side weakening that one. Either way she will need about three month of down time. The brace is a good idea for a partial tear but no matter what you do surgery is the only alternative to a full tear.

If the miniscus is torn its a very painful condition, that will NOT heal itself. The only fix for that is for them to do surgery and cut the miniscus either completely off or partially so it will have room to more.

Good luck, you have to keep her off the leg, take a towel and put it under her belly to hold her up off the ground to take her out, keep the weight off the leg as much as possible
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Sorry for this rough experience. Hang in there LMLB.

Thank you DF

Hi Linda , I know a partial will heal itself , he said it was ruptured so I guess it is a full tear . I don't want the TPLO either. she will arthritis the rest of her life with TPLO. I am so upset cause she is so young. I have to see what this other Vet says tomorrow. I tore my meniscus and my knee is fine, I exercised it with the instructions from the DR and it is fine. The only pains I get now is when Jax decides to lay across my legs when I am sleeping. But I have no pain like I did when it first tore.... that was bad. But hope this is just not going to be a big deal for my little girl. But I will do what I have to do. My vet said he would go for the brace. And I know too the other knee will go to after time, that is why I would just get two braces. Be ready lol lol (maybe , they are alot of money but not as much as surgery. But I did locate a Vet that does the surgery for half the cost of the clinic my vet wanted me to go to.
    Thanks Linda for your advice!
    Poor Jax is so frustrated he can't play with Josie like he use to ... poor baby. They just play so hard!!!! And I know that is one cause of it back in March.

its going to be as hard on him as her when she has NO playing for at least three months. I know they were spayed and neutered before you got them but that is one reason why I am so against early spay and neuter

My son in law is having surgery on Friday to repair a torn miniscus. He went today to get fitted for crutches
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I know poor Jax just doesn't know what to do with himself... but he loves the snow and he would stay out there forever. He only likes it when it is deep and snowing though ...funny huh?
    My Dr. said he repairs torn meniscus's several times a week , even 4 a day. But he could avoid it by the rest and exercise if he wants to go that route. I know it is very very painful to have that tear, I could barely walk when it first happened. And all I was doing was walking! Plus I have no cushion between my knee cap and socket, it is bone on bone he said. But I have had trouble with this knee of mine for years , since I worked at Hoover. I have a hard time getting up and down if I have to get on the floor for something or if I walk too long it hurts but nothing to get me on a surgery table. Lol Lol And I don't take any pain pills any more except Ibuprofen.
    And Josie is doing pretty well. But keeping the weight off is where the brace would come in. They a lot of success with the one at My Pets Brace.

I've been thinking about that brace and I'm thinking if that brace is on her all the time and she is not using the leg it will atrophy and become stiff so once the brace comes off the leg will be pretty much useless? Just something to think about

Hi Linda , no the brace is not on all the time, you start out just like for 3 hours and then build up a couple more . But It must be worn outside at all times. And it can come off at night for bed. She can have it off while resting. So no danger of atrophy. You should go to www.mypetsbrace.com and see how it works. It is pretty cool and they get use to them very quickly, before days end the first day. The place is in PA. I just don't want to go when there is an abundance of snow coming! Morgantown PA is where it is. There is another place but it is in Fla but they don't do the casting to get the exact detail of the dogs leg , measurements are extremely important.
    Josie doesn't whine or yip she is doing ok. Far better than the first day!!! She was just pulling herself around the floor with her front legs....still no whining or anything. But the next day of course she was at the vet when they opened. I wish we had a place around here that made these braces. More vets ought to think about it

Good luck with it, I hope it works out ok for you and her

WELL WHAT A SURPRISE WE GOT!!! We went for the second opinion and here my poor girl has 2 complete ACL (ccl) tears! Both legs!! I said WHAT!!!!!!????? So instead of the brace we will the surgery , I said I hope he don't do pins and plates and screw and bone cutting cause I don't want that for her. But their surgeon is semi retired and moved to South Carolina , but comes back every 6 weeks to do surgeries , if he get 4-5 he will come sooner. So Josie was the 5th one in , so they are going to call him and then let us know. The Vet said probably around the middle of Feb. My goodness!!!! My vet didn't say two , but I had her check the left since we were there and bingo she looked at me and said this one is complete too! So this changes everything. No trip to PA. and you are right Linda she would have to have the surgery sooner or later with the brace. He is so very much lower cost too!!!! Both legs will not cost as much as the place my vet wanted us to take her. I will get two legs done for the price of one! I just want her fixed. If it was for arthritis the brace would be great, but now that she has two torn ACL'S / CCL she just needs fixed Boy. My poor girl! She has high pain tolerance this vet said! All she is on is Tramadol and Previcox. But this dog does not wince at anything , no whimpering at all. Josie is such a good girl. It is gonna be so hard to keep her and Jax quiet for this. But I need to have a positive outlook , at least they will both be done, and won't need to worry about it anymore

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.