Australian Shepard Murderous Behavior

Australian Shepard Murderous Behavior

My Aussie has killed several cats and my 18 year old basset in the past year. My Basset was old but in otherwise good health. The bites sunk deep enough that my Aussies teeth were the only ones that could match, and she was the only one that had injuries on her and blood under her nails. I know it is her.

My other dogs will kill cats, BUT none quite as brutally as she does. My Aussie will leave behind a graphically unrecognizable corpse. My other dogs will never eat what they kill or tear it apart.

I'm honestly terrified because I have several young children living next door. She's never shown aggression towards other people.

Is this normal behavior for a dog? Are my other dogs just more docile or is this some response to abuse from her previously negative environment?

if that dog is that much animal aggressive if she were mine I'd keep a muzzle on her whenever there is a possibility of her being around other animals. As far as children, she is a loose cannon and you can't be sure she won't bite someone.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Wow that is really spooky.... I am afraid I would have to find a person who knows how to handle aggressive dogs . That is RED ZONE and a half!!!! Especially with kids around. she is as Linda said a ticking time bomb. If I had a dog that killed another one of my dogs , I am afraid it would not be living with me anymore!

If you decide to rehome the dog make sure you tell the new owner everything about her. If you don't and she kills something you will still be liable. In my opinion if the dog can't be retrained to be around other animals without wanting to kill them my decision would be to either keep her muzzled and away from other animals or put her down. This dog is a liability and before she hurts someone and you get in really bad trouble you have to make a decision about what you are going to do with her.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I never realized that a dog could be so violent. I take it she's a rescue but do you know a little about her background that can help turn this around? I'm sure you love her but you can't let her keep killing and if I were you I would have to put her down. It's such a shame and such a sad situation.

Is she a rescue? You should go to where you got her and tell them what is going on. I love dogs , even mean ones, but this is out of hand and I would have to hold those people responsible if you got her from a rescue if they hadn't told you. I hate to hear all that she has done.... I hate worse that she may have to be put to sleep. But I would wear a muzzle constantly and find an expert for her. Something happened to that dog to strike up such behavior, it would be nice to help her

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.