Romeo may he ever rest in peace

Romeo may he ever rest in peace

I had to make one of the toughest decisions of my life 2 days ago on Friday. I had to put my beloved cat Romeo to sleep because he was far too ill to save from liver and kidney failure because he didn't show any signs of being ill until it was far too late. I've been asking myself how did this happen and why I didn't see it until it reached this point. There were no environmental factors since I keep any cleaning product that is or could be poisonous locked away in the cabinet, and I have no houseplants.

He didn't eat for a couple days, but not for a lack of me not trying to find something he wanted, so I took him to the vet. After looking him over bloodwork was done, his diagnosis was that of which no pet parent wants to hear. My vet was straight forward and honest with me, telling me sure I could spend thousands of dollars on a feeble attempt at saving him but in his years as a vet he had never saw a cat or dog survive this. So I took him home and was in denial. But after watching him later that evening I could see his suffering so I scheduled an appointment to have him put to sleep. I took the rest of the week off from work so I could spend time with him and keep him as comfortable as possible. My other male cat Bell wouldn't leave his side for his last 2 days home except for food or the litterbox, and my female Pretty Girl would check on him but stayed by me mostly. They both knew he wasn't doing good

Friday when I took him in to have it done I cried almost the whole morning and on the way to the vet office. I just kept telling him I loved him and I'm sorry I couldn't make him better, and I promised him he wouldn't hurt anymore. I stayed with him when he left this world because I didn't want him to be alone as he left, and wanted to be the last thing he saw as I told him I loved him. It was a while after he was gone before I could leave his side as I said my goodbyes, and kissed him on the forehead and told him I loved him once more. It took me a while to regain my composure before I could leave, as I sat in my truck and wept. I am having him cremated and his ashes will be returned in a day or two, something that will be with me for the rest of my days. I also ordered online a pair of customized military style dog tags yesterday which will hang on the picture of him I have on my living room wall.

I had Romeo since he was 6 weeks old. I got my cat Bell who was also 6 weeks old, a day before I got Romeo. My GF (ex now for a few years now) and I got Bell because we wanted a cat. Bell went and hid under the microwave stand when we brought him home and would not come out for nothing, he just hid and cried. So the person who I called first about a kitten who had Romeo called me back the next day, so we figured we'd get another so Bell would have a buddy and it would get him over being in a new place. When we got there the lady had 2 kittens left, both males. Romeo came right up to me and rubbed on my leg and looked up and meowed at me, and my decision was made immediately. When we got home and he hit the floor sure enough Bell came right out and all was good. Pretty Girl didn't come until about 8 months later as she was an outside stray that came around right before I got the boys fixed, and she made her way into my heart so I got her fixed as well and made her an inside kitty too.

Romeo was a mitten paw, which was another reason why I chose him. He was more of a golden orange and white. He had a personality unlike any other cat I had been around, and it was clear he chose me to be his pet dad. As he grew out of the kitten stage it was obvious he was going to be a big cat. He loved his soft food, and he would let you know when he was hungry. He was definitely a talker, and he knew what you were saying. He loved everyone, and was the most gentle cat I have ever saw around kids. He had the loudest purr, so there was no mistaking when he was happy and content. He went crazy for the laser pointer and would chase that thing for what seemed like forever until he plopped down worn out. He saved me from being late to work I could not begin to say how many times when I forgot to set my alarm clock. As soon as the alarm went off for work he was right there staring at me and giving me a good morning get up and feed me meow. He loved to lay under the blanket at my feet or at my side when I went to bed, and would stay there until I fell asleep. He loved to lay with me (or should I say on me) when I was sacked out on the couch. He was there at the door every time I came home because he knew the sound of the truck. He loved to lay on top of things like the cat tree, the dresser, the headboard of my bed, the fridge, and the countertop in the kitchen. If I didn't want to get up from work or from a nap he'd paw at me, nuzzle on me, or meow at me until I got up. When I was sick or upset he was right there loving on me. When I came home from the grocery store he had to snoop through the bags while I put stuff away, as if to see if there was anything for him. Whenever I did laundry he had to jump in the basket and lay down on top of the warm clothes fresh out of the dryer if I did not put them away immediately. He was obsessed with boxes and f I had one big enough for him to fit in you can bet he would be in it before I could dispose of it.

This cat touched my heart like no other pet I've ever had before. When he was gone it felt like a family member just passed, because the pain was no different nor is the pain I'm still in as I mourn his loss. To me he was my child, I raised him from a baby. I will always have a place in my heart for him, and he will always be missed. He gave me almost 9 years of love and affection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It was very sad to read your story about Romeo but the more you read this the more you realize that you truly loved him. He had a great life thanks to you. You (as well as Bell and Pretty Girl) will miss Romeo terribly but you have memories that can never be taken away. You won't have Romeo physically with you or your kitties but his spirit lives forever.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I know exactly how you feel. I was devastated when I lost my first bengal. I took him to the vet because he was having a hard time to breathe, after tests and xrays I was told he only had days to live as he had a cancerous tumor in his chest, inoperable. I didn't take him home, I had him put down that same day. I couldn't bear to stand the thought of him suffering only to die anyway in a matter of days. I held him when the needle went in and he died in my arms. Its so hard to loose them and we must be brain dead because we keep doing it over and over. He was so bonded to me that when I left him alone he'd pull out his hair, vet said nothing physically wrong with him, it was stress and suggested I get him a kitten. I got him a siamese rescue kitten, the two bonded and I used to say he left me for another woman. She was so upset when he passed that for Mother's day that year my daughter and son in law got me another bengal kitten. Now she's happy again. But even though I love my bengal boy I still miss my other one. One year for Christmas my daughter had a large oil painting done of him and after he died I turned the picture around as I couldn't bear to look at it but now its turned around the right way and he is watching over "his girl" and her new best friend.

I don't think we ever get over loosing them, we just learn to live without them
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

So sorry you lost him. I'm sure he was happy and loved when he was here.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

My heart goes out to you, it sounds like you two were very closely bonded and he was such a sweet cat. I know your heart is aching now....hugs. Thank you for sharing his story with us, he was very handsome.

Thank you everyone. He was very dear to me and is greatly missed. It's been tough so far but I know he's in a better place now free from pain and suffering.

It's not easy even though you know they're in a better place you want that place to be by your side. It's going to take time but I hope you share more about Romeo..that may help ease the pain.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I am very very sorry about your loss.
    I lovemylittleboy ~ Levi's mom

Really sorry to hear this.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.