My Dog is Finally Starting to Assert Himself With Other Dogs at the Park

Thumbs up My Dog is Finally Starting to Assert Himself With Other Dogs at the Park

My dog is very friendly and mellow, he's just a little over 1 1/2 yrs. now. He's usually the one who gets chased at the park and he actually invites it and loves to run, he's fast, everyone comments, and he can keep his distance if he want to with any other dog so far.

But he's very trusting and will slow down or change directions sometimes in total play mode, and he's received a couple of minor nips in the past from a couple of other dogs that weren't that friendly and not regular visitors to the park. Since then I watch and observe, some dogs will look like they're growling or barking and appear to have their mouths open and lunging, but they never bite or attack.

Recently he started being chased a few times by a younger female hunting dog, she was one to show body movement like she wanted to bite his rear in the chase, but never did. I let him deal naturally with the other dogs because he has to learn to deal with them and read their behavior too.

Well, this past time we were watching him being chased by this dog and the owner was right there. That dog was being pretty "assertive" and mine decided it wasn't playful anymore and slowed down wanting to stop the chase. This other dog started working her way up to his neck now with her mouth open, and for the first time ever, we saw our dog bark, growl and bare his teeth at her. It was enough to make her stop her "attack" and back off a moment. He immediately walked over to us and the owner called her and they went on their way.

I was happy to see that he'll stand his ground if he feels threatened, he generally used to always kind of submit to other dogs, stop and tuck his butt, let them sniff and the majority of them back off as normal when one dog submits. There was a female shepherd who was very aggressive with him when he was younger and me and the owner had to step in and get control of the dog verbally because even though he submitted she was over him looking like she wanted to rip his throat out. We avoid that dog now if we see her in the area, I don't need him getting a serious bite or becoming shy around dogs due to fear.

All in all, the majority of the days at the park are very enjoyable and uneventful, most of the dogs that come there regularly are friendly and play nice. We consider each trip to the park as a learning opportunity for him.

Guess your boy is realizing that if you stand up to a bully most of the time they will back down. Just so he doesn't get overconfident and stand up to the wrong dog. He is a sweet boy and you don't want to bring the aggression out in him. Its in all of them, just depends on how much they have to be pushed for it to come out.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Good Job BigFoot!
    I lovemylittleboy ~ Levi's mom

That's so good that Bigfoot won't take any bullying...he's really growing up nicely
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Thanks guys, he's really on the shy and demure side and so loving with the cat that I don't think there's much aggression in him at all. In fact I was concerned that he would always submit and sometime get seriously attacked when he did by some dog when he tried to submit. I have to fight off my protective mother hen attitude with him around other dogs, because I don't always want him running to mama and shying away from any dog that might be rambunctious.

He hasn't been really picked on at the park, so I feel okay about it. We've been going there for over thirty years with our dogs when often we'd be the only ones there, before it was officially fenced and regulated as a 'dog park'. I had one of my young girls attacked and bitten by two medium sized dogs, a minor wound that we took care of at home, that was a loooong time ago.

Also, my Hans was bitten in the back by an Akita when my husband was there alone with him one time. My husband didn't see the altercation, but knowing that Hans had the bad habit when he was younger of 'humping' other dogs, I can just assume he tried it with the wrong one. Certain breeds like Akitas don't take much from other dogs, they're very dominant and unforgiving.

But dogs are just animals and not all owners take the time to properly train them and socialize them. So I figure he has as much a chance of being bitten as a result of being submissive than he has of showing some assertion. I just hope my baby never gets seriously hurt by another animal...coyotes roam around that park too.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    That's so good that Bigfoot won't take any bullying...he's really growing up nicely
    Because he has good parents! Boy the thought of coyotes will scare me to death. Put a bell on him!!! lol

We put a big bell and an orange collar on him when we take him camping, but in town we just keep a watchful eye. Any sight of a coyote nearby and my dog goes on the leash and stays close to me, I even did that with my big Hans.

Hi Bigfoot. I like your beard. You have a beautiful forest to walk near.

I'm confused about the bell. I think of bells on cats to warn and protect birds and other small wildlife. But at the same time, it seems like it makes the cat (or other bell wearer) more vulnerable himself/herself to becoming a prey. A bell tinkling means any predators around know where the wearer is, but the wearer has no such information on the predator. Also, in a fight, it seems like the bell is a disadvantage and a liability. The opponent knows where you are by the sound of the bell without having to have you in front in sight. Sorry, my point is that it seems like a bell is a danger to the wearer and increases their risk of harm. The first thing I do when I buy a collar is take off the jinglebell. :- ) I'm probably missing something.
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 02-17-2017 at 08:32 AM.

I keep a bell on my cat at all times so I can hear if he's close by either in the yard or when we let him loose on camping trips. It's comes in handy when we don't see him for a little while and start looking for him. Same with the dog, bell only on camping vacations so that we know if he's nearby. Also, in areas where there are bears, they recommend to make some kind of noise to let them know you're approaching so they can leave the area. If you're quiet and catch them off guard, they are more likely to be startled and attack.

Great photo of Bigfoot!! I think the bell is a super idea to make sure you can keep tabs on him....plus also on Loki!
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Oh yes- noise for the bears. That makes sense.

This bear was very close to our truck where we were camped on a recent vacation, I was on high alert after seeing him walk so close to us and sniffing in the air.

OOOOOOOO That is way toooooooooo close!!!!!!! I am afraid BF would be on the leash after seeing that!!!!! Wouldn't chance it for the world .!!!!!

a couple of years ago I came home from work and my neighbor across the street came running over, told me he had come to see if there was anything wrong because the cat was in his window box having a fit, turns out there was a black bear inbetween the house and the garage, later that night I took the dog out and another neighbor came out and told me not to come any further, the bear was in a tree about less than ten feet from me. Probably the same one that tried to get into the garage
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.