Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cat Weak Legs, Blood clot?? Help

Cat Weak Legs, Blood clot?? Help

Hello,

My name is Nathan and we noticed that our 11yo cat Daisy recently has troubled jumping up on things. Not gradual, this just happened in the past week. Then we noticed her back legs looked a little weak. Took her to the vet and the vet thinks she injured herself doing cat things and recommended her be restricted to a small room or closet. She's gotten worse. When we per her back she cries in pain. Also when she gets up she always stretches her back legs before walking. Something's not right. She seems to be matching the symptoms of a blood clot but we just don't know.

Her blood tests are good, her urine is good. Has anyone else dealt with this before? As a cat owner, I know something's not right, it's more than just an injury.

Thank you,

Nathan.
    Last edited by NathanL; 02-16-2017 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Add more clarifying info

I would suggest you take her to an animal chiropractor. If there is a little something out of place they can snap it back into place, also do a laser treatment and acupuncture. Not as expensive as you might think, a treatment will run you around $50 and she'll be much better
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Did the vet take an xray at all? I wonder if there's a spine/disc injury? That would definitely cause pain and affect the back and legs, a vet would normally give anti-inflammatory medication for something like that. My cat stretches his back legs often before walking, nothing odd there, but if he had pain like yours does it's definitely a concern. My dog had an injured disc one time and he was in tremendous pain, was put on prednisone until he was better. Good luck, I agree, something doesn't sound right but I didn't think it was blood clot related at all.

Thanks for the replies.

Alpha - No X ray. The cat is not very active in general and likes to lie around all day, so it's hard to imagine something causing her injury. It's the weak back legs that bother me. You can tell she kinda struggles to get up and use her legs. Could be an injured disc, though not thrilled about the cost of surgery. She's not paralyzed, just having a hard time getting up. Once she starts walking, she's ok. When your dog had an injured disc. Did you just give him Predisone? Was there other treatments (surgery, restricted activities, etc.). I haven't read much on this subject because everytime I look up "weak back legs in cats", I get forums for cats with blood clots or diabetes. I think I may take her back to the vet if things get worse.

Thank you for your help!

N

I had to restrict his activities but that wasn't hard because he was in pain and slow to walk, get up and lay down, or change positions. We didn't have surgery at all, just the pain killers and anti-inflammatory meds from the vet temporarily took care of the problem. But they had to do the initial xray to diagnose it. He also shows some arthritis in his spine, but the disc injury was what caused him great distress.

We sent him out to the driveway every morning to get the newspaper, and one morning he slipped and fell down on his side from a patch of ice. We suspect that's what caused the injury in his disc, so it doesn't take much to have these things happen to our pets.

Another thing xrays show is hip dysplasia which would cause weak back legs and atrophy of the hind quarters, we had a dog once who suffered with this too. If I'm not mistaken, although rare, I think cats can have hip dysplasia too. Medication for pain along with natural supplements can be give for relief. We never planned to have surgery for her either, the vet didn't recommend the operation either. The benefits didn't outweigh the risks and expense, and pain for the dog.

Update: After we noticed our cat struggling to walk a little, and after she cried when we pet her, we decided to take her back in. Vet said it was most likely a herniated disc on her back. The prescription was to restrict her activities for 4 weeks, and keep her confined in a closed off space. We cleared out a closet and set her up in there. This is very hard.

We were told if it becomes severe, she will need surgery (about $6,000-$8,000), but for now, because it seems more on the mild side, we can try out restricting her activities. They gave us morphine to subdue her pain but no anti-inflammatories, which I thought was strange. Anybody dealt with this in cats? I'd love to know what to expect in the long term (recurrence, recovery, etc.).

Thanks!

Thanks for the update, it's what I suspected. Can you confine the cat in a larger room, or did the doctor specify something as small as a closet? I guess if it's a very large walk in type of closet it might not be so bad. When our dog had his disc injury, we kept him in the kitchen and walked him on a leash in the yard, but in his case he wouldn't be running around much anyway, too much pain, he yelped easily.

Never had that problem with any of my cats, but I think, if I remember right, the anti inflammatory they gave my dog was Prednisone. No morphine given, but your vet should know what's best, good luck with her.

He said small closet, 2 ft by 4 ft., guess even walking around is too much stress on back. Supposed to call the vet today, I'll mention the prednisone, thanks. We remain optimistic she'll make a full recovery so she can get back to her cat ways.

Wishing both of you the best, I feel optimistic about it. Pets often get injuries like this and recover without surgery. I would hesitate to even have a surgical procedure like that, it isn't always successful in dogs or people.

Good to know, thanks for the help!! :-)

You're welcome.

Sorry to hear the news but glad that the vet was able to diagnose the problem quickly. Let's hope surgery is not needed. Plenty of rest, love, and attention for now. If you want a second opinion you can ask for free here https://www.vetary.com/cat/condition/slipped-disc . I have put in questions on both my dog and cat, and the response is quick. Just scroll to the bottom of the page to ask. Keep us posted, I really hope your cat is better soon. We humans know the pain of a back problem, not fun.

Thanks DeeDee!

Here is an update, in case others reading this have the same issue with their cat. We are almost a couple weeks into our treatment, which is basically locking Daisy up in a jail cell closet. It was really sad having to leave her alone each time and close the door on her because we know all she wants to do is escape and hang out with us, and not be confined in a dark closet, but these are the doctor's orders. 4 weeks seems like forever. Really hope this does the job because surgery sounds awful.

So far the morphine seems to be working, while she still stretches her back legs at times, it doesn't look like she's getting worse, which is a good sign, but of course it could just be the pain killer. The day we took her in, we had pet her back and she whimpered, being sensitive to the touch. At some point, we'll take her off the pain killer for the day and see if she still is sensitive when we pet her, to gage her progress.

This forum is awesome, lots of educational stuff here and lots of animal lovers. :-)

why does she have to be confined in a dark closet. Why not a wire dog crate where at least she can look around and see daylight. I know she needs rest but in my opinion its cruel to keep her locked up in the dark for a month. Have you considered acupuncture and laser treatments?
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

When we are home we leave the door open with a see-through gate so she can look out. If we leave her unattended, she will try climb it and escape, which would strain her back. That being said, we are actually looking at crates as we speak since I agree, it feels cruel. Didn't know it at the time, but we want her to be happy.

I haven't considered acupuncture, but we'll look into that. Right now we are just following the vet's orders. I honestly didn't even know they had acupuncture for pets. lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.