Abandoned dog?

Abandoned dog?

Okay so this dog showed up at my house Tuesday around noon, he's the sweetest dog. He had a collar on so I checked it and it had his name and a phone number. So I called the number and this woman answered and I asked her if she was missing her dog because he was at my house and she sounded kind of annoyed.. but I told her where I was and found out she lives off of another road that my road is off of, not far at all. She told me she'd be home in about 30 minutes. She never showed up. I gave her my exact address on the phone but I don't know hers, she just told me the name of the road. She hasn't called back, I've actually called her again twice and she didn't answer. But it was her cell phone so she's got my number and the dog's been here since Tuesday. My son and I have been playing with him every day, he keeps asking if we can keep him. I'd really like to keep him but I'd hate for my son to get attached to him and then the woman decide she wants him back. So I don't know what I should do? One of the times I called I was going to ask her if she even wanted him because it doesn't seem like it. I've been feeding him and I haven't tied him up or brought him inside or anything but he stays on our front or back porch when we're not out there with him. I don't like that he's running loose, though, especially since he can get in the road, he had to cross a couple to get here.

What would you do??

It's great that you are trying your best with this dog! I would take him inside so as he doesn't get hurt. Is their a vet's name on the tag by any chance? I hope this lady didn't dump this dog but you just don't know what's going on. In the meantime I would call the local shelters, vet's office to see is they can scan the dog to see if he's microchipped. Please keep us posted.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

P.S. If someone called me that my animal was found I would react a heck of alot differently and be grateful that he was safe and sound. I don't understand people sometime! It may be in the best interest of the dog if you keep him....that's my feeling so far from what you've written.

I may bring him in, I was wondering if he might've been an inside dog. There's not a vet listed on the tag but there's something else on his collar, I was googling it yesterday trying to figure out what it was and from what I saw it looks like a bluetooth tracker. And yeah, I don't understand why she hasn't come and gotten him, if it is a tracker it sounds like she wanted to keep up with him so why hasn't she come and gotten him instead of letting him run around? If he is microchipped will the vet keep him to try to find her? If she wanted him back that'd be awesome, I want her to have him if that's the case it's just kinda upsetting me she doesn't seem to care. I've had a missing pet before and I would've been ecstatic if someone called me because they'd found her. I just don't want the vet to keep him and then that woman not get him and they take him to the pound or something

I agree with Esme, I'd go to a vet or shelter and see if the dog's chipped and have it scanned. The vet's not going to keep the dog, as far as I know it would be impossible for them to start doing things like that for stray dogs even if they wanted to. If my dog was missing and someone called me, I'd drop what I was doing and go and get my furkid, besides much thanks, I'd probably give a cash reward of whatever I could afford.

I would call the police or dog officer and explain the situation, tell him you are feeding the dog and he seems comfortable with you. explain your phone call to the number on the tag and the person didn't seem interested in coming for him and for them to check it out and if she doesn't want him then you can volunteer to keep him. That way everything is done legally and she can't accuse you of stealing the dog
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'll call the police and take him by the vet, thank you guys!

I hope it all works out for you and then you can legally keep the dog who is lucky to have found such a caring person!

Quote Originally Posted by perpyderg View Post
    Okay so this dog showed up at my house Tuesday around noon, he's the sweetest dog. He had a collar on so I checked it and it had his name and a phone number. So I called the number and this woman answered and I asked her if she was missing her dog because he was at my house and she sounded kind of annoyed.. but I told her where I was and found out she lives off of another road that my road is off of, not far at all. She told me she'd be home in about 30 minutes. She never showed up. I gave her my exact address on the phone but I don't know hers, she just told me the name of the road. She hasn't called back, I've actually called her again twice and she didn't answer. But it was her cell phone so she's got my number and the dog's been here since Tuesday. My son and I have been playing with him every day, he keeps asking if we can keep him. I'd really like to keep him but I'd hate for my son to get attached to him and then the woman decide she wants him back. So I don't know what I should do? One of the times I called I was going to ask her if she even wanted him because it doesn't seem like it. I've been feeding him and I haven't tied him up or brought him inside or anything but he stays on our front or back porch when we're not out there with him. I don't like that he's running loose, though, especially since he can get in the road, he had to cross a couple to get here.

What would you do??
    Maybe if you call one more time and tell her you want to adopt him because your son really likes him now. It seems to me she just doen't want the dog.She may not have had him chipped herself... they could have done it when he was a pup ,they did that with ours. We had no choice They done it with out us knowing. I would see if he is chipped, and if she refuses to come get him then I would keep him. I would DEFINITELY bring him in. Poor baby. Gotta look out for his welfare not the owner if she don't want him.

I wonder why this woman dump her dog, and then all of a sudden she wants it back. The dog seems to be comfortable with you guys, maybe you can ask that woman for the custody of the paw it seems like she don't want her pet at all since she left it roaming around the community. You have a good heart for animals and I am hoping that everything will be fine.

I don't and unfortunately will never understand why people abandon dogs or any animals......

I agree erikapeterson.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.