Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dog with anxiety

Dog with anxiety

I got my dog back after 5 years. She doing good with the change but me n her always been close. Now when i leave she just howls n cries for hours. She never did this before is there any way to help

Do you make a production of leaving, like telling her good bye and petting her before you go, if so stop doing it, just leave. She is lacking in self confidence and afraid you aren't coming back, leave for a short time and come back, make the time longer and longer and ignore her if she is howling or barking, until she settles down don't pay attention to her. If she gets cues from you like putting your shoes and coat on change your routine, by coddling her you are encouraging the behavior, just go out the door and ignore her, when she realizes she is not being rewarded (by you coming in and fussing on her) the behavior will stop.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I just started try not to tell her bye i use to do it n she was ok but now i guess from being away from me so long she sacred

Why was she away from you for 5 years?

I went away to school and i just got a house . She was with my mom

Poor baby, she loves you deeply and be afraid of you to leave her for another 5 years.

That wat i been thinking. She is my rock some ppl said she should go back to moms . My mom came to visit and when she was leaving my dutchess ran to me like i am stay here. I just dont kno how to help she howl n cries n sometimes she open the cabinet n just take one thing out . Its been a year that i got her back.

My advice is to leave some piece of clothing that you have worn (like a sweater or shirt) that has your scent on it. That can help her think you are close by and calm her down.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I agree with Marina that she loves you and is insecure and scared you'll leave her again, can't blame her. Also, Esme has a good idea about the clothing, something that hasn't been just washed, that really will give comfort with your scent.

Can she be trusted on your bed? If she could sleep there while you were gone that might help.

Ah yeah give her some of your clothing. It is a big change for her again. Poor girl. She is in a new house and everything. She will be ok . I hope when you are together you can walk her and spend good quality time with her.
    I lovemylittleboy ~ Levi's mom

O yes she is the queen of the house . I let all my babys in my bed she even has her own big rigth new to me. We go for runs she hates walking lol . She has a big yard that her n my other dog always run n play together. Thank you all for the help n support the last group i was in gave me negative responses and said my dog was not happy n miss my mom but she better wit me my mom work to much n when i got her she could not even run now she out runs me wit in a year she not fat n on a gluten free food n i make her homemade cookies.

It sounds like you really care and you two are the perfect match Angie, I hope she calm's down some more and feels more secure about you returning every day. Please keep us updated on how she's doing.

That is awesome that you love her so much...queen of the house is how it should be
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Been doing everything you say and thing r getting a lil better she crying as bad

Like Linda said, when you leave to go somewhere just ignore her and don't make a fuss. If she starts to whimper never say 'it's okay', that's just reinforcing the whining behavior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.