Help! My cat is overweight!

Help! My cat is overweight!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I've been trying to find some information on how much food I should be feeding my cat. He is 5 years old and he weighs at least 16lbs. I haven't taken him to the vet so I am not 100% sure his exact weight. I got him for my friend who was unable to care for him anymore in June 2016.

Currently I give him 1/2 cup of dry food (Whiskas) that I leave out for him to eat throughout the day and 1 can of wet food (Fancy Feast) at dinner time. Is this too much?

Welcome
    Every cat is different and 16 lbs. may not be overweight. When I weigh my cats I first weigh myself, write down my weight. Then I pick up one of my cats and get on the scale, writing down the combined weight. I subtract my weight from that combined weight number and that’s their weight.
    Except for 2 of my cats who have prescription diet and 1 is a senior citizen who still loves his fancy feast I feed Buffalo Blue. Some of the Buffalo Blue is grainfree and some is mixed with rice and I vary it to try and give them the best nutrition. I have learned along the way that It’s best not to go cheap on their food. You want to extend their lives and make sure they have proper nutrition.
    Also I refer to the cat food bag for feeding guidelines.
    Hope this helps and you need to remember that if you do switch over to a better brand of cat food you do it slowly and tapper down the amount of your Whiskas until your cat is on the new cat food.
    Here’s a link from the ASPCA on feeding your cat that may help.
    https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-c...nutrition-tips
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.