Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Josie

Josie

Hi Linda and Alpha and Esme, I am wondering if any one of you has a tip on getting Josie to eat. She had her right leg done 7 weeks ago, now last Friday she had the left one done. She just won't eat normal and when I put something in front of her , her nose goes 100 miles an hour over it and scoots it around , but won't eat it. I told the vet that we took her to and she just said keep trying , do the chicken , scrambled eggs hamburger....... ugh! If I hear that again I am gonna puke. I put baby food over some things and she will eat it SOMETIMES. I am going to have a nervous break down here. I went and got cans of dog food, one time she ate it mixed with kibble. She loves the Gerber Turkey sticks though, but those are not good everyday and everyday they contain garlic. And they are hardly enough.
    She will eat cheese. But if I put it on something she don't eat. I know her surgeries were so close and she has been through the ringer here, but I had no choice her left leg went bad quick, I walked her one day for just her "short walk " and her bones were just clicking away and she was limping bad Both my vet and the vet where she goes for the surgery agreed that she couldn't wait 6 more weeks . She had just started water therapy too , only had 2 sessions. I am at my wits end. She loves the ball thing I got that dispenses food when they roll it around, but she won't even do that now either. SO I come to you my friends for suggestions.

There are expensive freeze dried treats that dogs and cats go nuts over, even my guy who's not food driven. Stella and Chewy is one brand, and the one I currently use is Orijen. You can crumble them into powder between your fingers and sprinkle over the wet or canned food....good luck!

did you try warming the food? the smell may tempt her to eat. Add some chicken broth or beef broth warmed a little and added to her food. Right now she needs a little carbs along with protein, maybe some pasta or white rice with chicken broth? I know the vets carry the ID food, most dogs like it but its not an especially good food, but getting her to eat is the goal right now. Maybe you could get a small turkey and cook it for her and add the turkey broth over it and warmed up a little may be enough to stimulate her to eat
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

So sorry your girls in such a bad way with her poor legs, and I know you're being pushed to your limit too. Hope hubby is helping a little bit. Hugs.

He is not helping much Alpha. I am just so worried about Josie I am depressed , I am still sleeping with her in the living room too.

Oh yes Linda I have warmed it all , she don't like rice. I may just get a small turkey . I will try that too. She just turns down everything. I wonder why she smells it so fast whatever it is I offer and just scoots it all around then walks away. What could she be looking for? Sigh........ I was thinking on putting some kibble in the blender with some chicken and broth or hamburger and cream it up maybe she would eat it then. And cheese.
    Thanks ladies

Alpha , I actually did try the Orijen freeze dried toppers, she did like those and after a while she don't like those either. One thing she never turns down is a Milk Bone! But she cannot live on those either. I give her one or two when her meds come due cause she has got to have food with Previcox . She takes that and Tramadol and Antibiotics. I try every couple hours to get her to try something. She is loosing weight too. She is not getting much exercise so maybe that part isn't too bad. She won't be over weight will being in active. I wonder if those protein drinks from the health food store would be good for her. I have a bone broth protein one here my husband isn't drinking . Sounds gross huh? Blah. Thanks again for the suggestions. I have tried just about all there is except the turkey again. She didn't even care for that the one time

Quote Originally Posted by lovemylittleboy View Post
    He is not helping much Alpha. I am just so worried about Josie I am depressed , I am still sleeping with her in the living room too.
    I can understand that you're depressed, and probably not getting much rest at all with everything on your mind and sleeping in the living room. Please take care of yourself too, I'd hate for you to get sick.

I am so sorry to hear this and I worry about you and Josie but we're all here for you my friend. I agree with everyone's suggestions and have been there when I try to get my Roscoe to eat. I open a new can every day and he takes a couple licks and walks away. It's discouraging but when I'm home I try almost every hour (as long as he's awake) to give him a little something to keep him going. I also add generic Pedialyte to whatever his eating to help him. Maybe Josie has a bad taste from the medication she's on and that's affecting her appetite. Can the vet give you an appetite stimulant for her? Mine gave me a few that I still have but you can only use a small dose every 3 days. That helped Roscoe out. Hang in there my friend and Alpha1 is right...please take care of yourself.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I was just searching the internet and found some foods to try that never occurred to me...like mixing some cottage cheese or even cat food into her regular food. Also maybe some cooked or raw carrots or other types of veggies could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I can understand that you're depressed, and probably not getting much rest at all with everything on your mind and sleeping in the living room. Please take care of yourself too, I'd hate for you to get sick.
    Thanks Alpha. I wasn't feeling too good this morning. But I will be ok. Thank you friend

Thanks Esme , it is disheartening . I have tried just about everything. One minute she will take something and the next nothing. She smells all over it and then acts like she wants to bury it. That makes me nervous. She smells 100 miles an hour like she is looking for something then does the burying act. The one vet said she has something to stimulate an appetite but it is for cats. I haven't called mine. He isn't in on Fridays. Thank you for your kind words and suggestions.

I hope you feel better...sometimes you just can't help it. They are our babies and we care so much but I try to remember that if I get sick I can't help them get better. Your Josie will come around. Maybe it's just because she's been through so much and the combination of medications is doing something. I'm trying to help and if I come up with any ideas for you I will let you know. Take care my friend

I wonder if Josie has an upset stomach that is making her feel sick when she lowers her head to eat. If she is sniffing the food and seems hungry an upset stomach would explain her not eating. You can give her pepsid ac. or the propectalin

- Many veterinarians recommend Pepcid AC® (generic name is Famotidine) to decrease stomach acid. This helps many pets. The dosage most commonly used is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours. A 20-pound dogshould get about 5 to 10 mg (total dose) once to twice daily.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thanks Esme. I know I think of that too when I am sick. but I just had to go lay down. Tired and run down and now fighting a cold or something (Blah!) don't make for good care. But I got some rest finally Daryle was here today so I told him I am going to bed! Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.