National Pet ID Week, Use an ID Tag and Microchip!

Exclamation National Pet ID Week, Use an ID Tag and Microchip!

I always make sure my dog and cat have an ID tag on their collars with our name, address and phone number, in case they get lost. The dog I have now is the very first one I ever had with a microchip, and he came that way from the breeder, but I had to pay for the service and give all my information for them. I do feel better having done this. Here's more thoughts about IDs for your pet.

It's National Pet ID Week, which means it's time for a quick review of your furry family member's prospects for making it back home to you in the event he or she is lost.
    And in case you're thinking, "I never let my pet out of my sight, so there's no way she'll ever get lost," you should know that the odds are actually quite a bit higher than "never" that at some point in your animal companion's life, you'll lose track of her.
    PetHub, a company that makes digital pet ID tags, provides some eye-opening statistics about lost pets:

1 in 3 pets will become lost in their lifetime
    • Less than 2 percent of lost cats and only 15 to 20 percent of lost dogs make it back home to their families (per the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy)
    • Most pets who do get home are wearing an ID tag or are microchipped or tattooed
    • 80 percent of pet parents believe pet ID tags are crucially important, but only 33 percent report that their pet always wears one (per the ASPCA)

If you're one of the two-thirds of pet owners who isn't religious about keeping an ID tag on your pet, it might be helpful to know there are several other methods for identifying dogs and cats.

New Hampshire
    All of mine are microchipped. Phoenix would never get lost, she never has me out of her sight. But if the bengal got out even with a microchip I don't know if I'd get him back, he is so friendly I'd be afraid someone would keep him. The cats don't go out but they could sneak out. Hasn't happened yet but anything is possible.

I teach my dogs to always stay with me by hiding on them when they are younger. If you hide from them and they wander a bit when they realize they can't see you they get frantic and once either you appear or they find you they never go far from you again.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I hid from one of my pups years ago at the dog park just to see if he'd notice and look for me, he did. I should do that with Bigfoot some day and see how he reacts.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.