Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Roscoe not eating

My Roscoe not eating

Over the last few days my Roscoe doesn't want to eat very much at all. After he healed from the abscess on his mouth things got better and he seemed to make up for lost time but now NOTHING is keeping his attention. He'll lick a little of whatever I try to give him and it's just not working. Yesterday I gave him a small dosage of the appetite stimulant my vet had given me awhile back and that didn't work. He looks so small and it breaks my heart. He gets up to drink water and urinate and he sleeps otherwise. I'm crying as I'm writing this because I know the end is coming but I don't want it to happen. Hubby and I talked about it and we don't want him to just starve and me force feeding him at times is not the way I want it to be for him either. It really breaks my heart and I just hope things turn around. He's the oldest of my fury family at 16 and I just hate what's happening to him so much.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I know how you feel, before I got my first bengal I had a tiger cat, he was 18, he still ate but just continued to loose weight. Finally after putting it off as long as I could I had to let him go. Its so hard to loose them but there comes a time when we have to put our feelings aside and do whats best for them. He's an old man and if he won't eat and nothing tempts him you can't let him starve. Hard as the decision is we have to do what needs to be done for their sake.

I hope he starts eating and gets back to himself but at his age you must prepare for in case he doesn't. You know you are not alone here. Any help we can give you just ask
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Esme, I'm so sorry to hear about your Roscoe not eating. Have you tried to offer him things like sardines in olive oil, or maybe raw ground beef? I really hope you can get him to eat again, you must be so worried and upset. He is getting up in years, my heart goes out to you my friend.

Thank you both for the kind words and hugs. I called the vet this morning so he could get checked out and get some fluids, medication something but today is surgery day so I have to wait until tomorrow. In the meantime I'm going home for lunch like I have been and try again to get him eating something.

Forgive me if you already told us Esme, but who's getting surgery today? Hope you get your little one to eat something today.

I'm probably not making much sense lately Alpha...Wednesday's are surgery day at the vet's office and that's why Roscoe couldn't get an appointment yesterday. Today we will see what they say but I have to do what's best for him. I'll let you all know how it goes....thanks my friends.

Oh good Esme, thanks. Good luck today, will be thinking of you and Roscoe.

It breaks my heart to say this but I had to put Roscoe to sleep today. The vet checked him out and said his kidneys were hard and failing. This is releasing toxins in his system and that's why he's not eating. He has a fever, is anemic and he's not going to get better. So I said my goodbye and told him how sorry I am that I couldn't save him. I tried to smile for him so that the last time he saw my face I wasn't crying but that was tough to do. I wrapped him in his favorite blanket that I brought with me and handed him to the vet tech for the last time. I can't believe this is happening and am really hoping it's just a bad dream but I can't stop crying.

I'm so sorry Esme, my tears are spilling over for you and your Roscoe, may he rest peacefully.

I'm so sorry you lost your special boy but in your heart you know you did the right thing for him, you wouldn't want to see him suffer and die a slow painful death. He will forever live on in your memories and you know you did the best you could for him and you gave him a good life. Rest now Roscoe, your journey has ended and you are free of pain.

We all know how hard it is to loose a fur baby but in time you will realize you did the best thing for him. Peace to you Esme, we are here for you if you need us
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you so much for being here for me. I still can't believe my Roscoe is gone. I look for him in his usual spots and can't stand it. I know this isn't the 1st time and won't be the last but he had such a relaxed spirit and got along with everyone. I'm just feeling sorry for myself and it won't bring him back but you're right Linda and Roscoe will live on in my memories. I thank you again for your kind words.

you can feel sorry for yourself all you want, its a hearbreaking thing to have to make the decision to let them go. Even when we know its for the best it still hurts. Tomorrow will be six years since I lost my Molly, poor Molly she was so abused before I got her and she had just a little while with me, Molly the dog that never caught a break. Life is just not fair, we take such good care of them and doesn't matter we loose them in the end. My thoughts are with you tonight, hang in there it will get better, you never really get over loosing them you just learn to live without them.

Oh Esme, very sorry on this sad day. Roscoe had a very good life with you, and that's what it's all about.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Roscoe knows he was loved and you did all you could.
    Mourn, but don't forget the love ya'll shared.

I am so sorry Esme. We all know you did what you could for him and he knows that too. I could not help but tear up when I read your post.

We are all thinking of you.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.