Tank Mates For Betta, 5.5g

Question Tank Mates For Betta, 5.5g

I've got a male Betta in a 5.5g aquarium. I'd like to add some tank mates to his tank. I know with the tank size that I am very limited as to what can go in there without overstocking. I'm thinking of just adding inverts and no more fish for this reason. My three favorite freshwater inverts are African Dwarf Frogs, Shrimp, and Snails. I know for sure I want a snail because I'm having an algae explosion in my tank. I've been researching and am thinking of adding a Horned Nerite Snail as they don't get very big. I'm thinking either Ghost or Red Cherries for the shrimp species.

Asking for y'alls opinions on this: 1 Betta, 1 Horned Nerite Snail, 2 African Dwarf Frogs, and 6 Red Cherry Shrimp, too much or doable?

I asked my hubby as he takes care of our fish tanks. He said that it all depends on the size of your tank. Do you have at least a 10 gallon? Our betta is in a 20 gallon long tank with heater, filter, etc. We have 1 ghost shrimp, 2 cory catfish and 6 neon tetras. Hope this helps.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Looks like hers is a 5 1/2 gallon tank Esme.

Sorry I miss read that part so thanks Alpha1. But that seems too small for everybody to live happily together IMO.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Thanks Esme! That's what I was thinking too. Will probably just add the snail and shrimp.

Just found this fish stocking guide site. I played around with it and according to it I could have my male Betta, 1 Nerite Snail, and 1 African Dwarf Frog and still be under stocked. Here is the site: http://aqadvisor.com/

You need to make sure the animals are from water with similar parameters, most especially pH and temperature. The animals might not act sick, but the animals will be stressed, be more prone to iinfectiions, and have shortened lives as a result of temperatures and pH levels that differ from their natural habitat.

Another thing, is that you can't really go by vendor website compatibility guides, or their aquarium size requirements. Most will give tank sizes that are not big enough. Research what kind of movement specific animals do in lakes, rivers, seas, etc., and you will understand that just because an animal can live in a box, doesn't mean it will thrive and be content with its restricted living conditions.

If you want to add more friends you'll need at least a 10 gallon tank. I'm using a 30 gallon tank right now; my Betta lives there with a few Glofish, tetras, Corydoras, snails, and plecos just fine.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.