Warning: If your dog is sick and you just started using a seresto flea collar

Warning: If your dog is sick and you just started using a seresto flea collar

I needed to say something in hopes it helps someone out there that has no idea what is wrong with their dog....take the serestos flea collar off immediately! Two healthy dogs of my in-laws have just died because of this. The first was older and my in-laws thought she died due to old age. So they decided to put the serestos flea collar on their other dog because it was expensive and they had just gotten it. Well, immediately, this dog was getting sick, lethargic, no appetite...went to the vet numerous times (who also said the serestos flea collar was ok to use). The vet tried different things but could never really figure it out. They had no reason to think it was the dog collar. Well, it's too late now, but all the symptoms between the two dogs were exactly the same and both started when the collar was put on. We also researched it on amazon. For most dogs, the collar works perfectly fine....but not all. there is review after review on how this collar makes their dog sick (wish we would have researched it earlier). I am sick to my stomach that this happened, and am disgusted there is no warning on these collars. When I tried a search for serestos on this website, I was surprised to see nothing came up. (actually tried again and edited..it's seresto, not serestos). But if your dog is sick and you use one of these, its worth a try to take it off and see if that helps.
    Last edited by Tepps516; 05-02-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: seresto, not serestos

Hi Tepps- Thank you for posting this warning to other people, and I'm very sorry that your family lost your two dogs this way. You honor them by protecting other dogs through this warning.

I'm so sorry for your losses. Thanks for sharing this information!

Sorry to hear about your family dogs, thanks for the warning.

That is so very sad and I'm sorry for your losses. We all appreciate the warning and getting the word out can help others. Still it's a horrible way to learn about a product.

We have a nine week old cocker spaniel puppy that all of the sudden started throwing up and crying all night. He has been great sleeping in his crate for over two weeks, so it was very unusual. Then he didnít want to eat, and kept throwing up the next day. Then we remembered that the vomiting started the same day as we put the Seresto collar on him. We took it off immediately and gave him a bath, and now he is sleeping. I hope that was the end of it, and Iím so glad we noticed it in time!!! Weíve used the collar on multiple pets of ours, and never had a problem. I guess bear is just allergic to it! Iím so sorry about your pets!

We have a 2yr old mini aussie who has been very sick for about 2 months now. We have taken her to the vet who has run blood test, urine test, X-rays and given so many different meds to stop the vomitting, her lethargic to do anything and diarrhea. We also have a 10yr old who has now developed diarrhea and is on meds as well. Neither one of them wanted to eat so made up chicken, rice, cottage cheese and water to make sure to keep them hydrated. Last night as I was sitting there I thought to myself, "You know looking back I think all of this started with we got the Seresto Flea Collars for our three." Our 1yr old hasnt shown any signs of sickness. I immediately took all of the collars off and will be bathing them all today. This is scary a product that has been talked about as being so good. I guess I should have gone with my gut feeling the price is great especially when you have 5 animals to treat with flea and tick meds. Something cant be right with that price for an 8 month period when we have been paying so much more for years. I have always used Advantage and/or Frontline as one of our babies cant take Frontline.

I am just so sick to my stomach knowing that I could have been causing all of this sickness and feel so bad! I think there needs to be some more research on this product.

What do you all give for flea and tick meds that maybe holistic as that is now the way I am going!

Hi Ctekaat- Not holistic, but I have used Frontline Plus with my dogs since 2005. My parents always used it with our cats before that, and the cats lived well to a very ripe age. Never had a problem with Frontline Plus, and it has always worked.

Frontline Plus must be applied very carefully on the skin (parting the fur) between the shoulderblades.

If someone cannot apply it carefully, they should not use it, as it is dangerous if ingested.

The Seresto collars sound positively evil. The manufacturer should be sued after hurting so many pets.

Thank you for the information about frontline. I may look into that.

this is what I use and my dog goes for a run in the woods every day and never found a flea or tic on her

https://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produ...ag/999024.aspx
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.