Sugar Dog

Sugar Dog

This is Sugar. Sugar Dog lives on a chain. I try to help him, but he is not mine. All I can do is bring him some good food each afternoon, take him for a 15 minute walk then, and give him some basic health care (vaccination, pest control).

:- (

Sugar looks like such a sweet dog, you're an angel for giving him food, giving medical care and walks, he must love your very much. It breaks my heart to see dogs that spend their lives chained, luckily I don't see that too much in my area. The ones on a short heavy chain that can't even take a few steps, they should be taken from their abusive owners as far as I'm concerned. I wish Sugar's owner worked something else out for him besides the chain. I hope he appreciates all you do for his dog.

That is so sad! Bless you for helping him out as much as you can! Keeping dogs on chains is illegal in my area thank God!

An update on Sugar. It eventually became apparent that Jack*, Sugar's owner, is a real SOB, often drunk, who doesn't give a sh** about Sugar, doesn't know the first thing about taking care of a dog, and, most important DOES NOT WANT TO. For example "Why does he need more than two feet of chain at night? He's just going to sleep anyway." He also told me he beat Sugar senseless one day because he chewed something or other. I would have relieved him of Sugar in a flash long ago, but I already have four dogs at my tiny rented house, two of which already have to be separated at all times, and Sugar is also reactive (among other weirdnesses from living on a chain.) There is no such thing as animal shelters here.

This morning (Sunday) shortly after I woke up, four unknown guys are at the fence of my little house. I was wary that they were selling something, but it turned out they had come to say that they were from the other village and that Sugar had gotten off his chain and bit some people and nobody could catch him- could I please come. "Where's Jack?", I asked. They answered, "He was in a motorcycle accident and is in the hospital unconscious with a whole bunch of bones broken." I thanked them for coming and said I would put on some clothes and go right away.

So I get there about 15 minutes later (driving on the motorcycle), and Jack's estranged wife had already come back from where she lives now downtown and had managed to get Sugar in Jack's house and asks me to put the chain back on- tighter so he doesn't wiggle out of it.

Human nature promptly reared its ugly head. I'm trying to fiddle with and wash the lock, because it is blocked with mud and I can't get the key in at first, and Jack's (ex?) wife starts up about how the people affected want money. I said it's not my fault. Jack is the one who brings Sugar indoors at night. When he didn't show up, Sugar was outside in the rain at night, got very agitated (I assume), and got out of the collar that has worked for a long time. When other representatives showed up, of course there was persistence. I said, if you want money, you'll need to go to Jack's hospital bed and ask him for it. After he wakes up. If he wakes up.

I saw to it that Sugar was safe and secure in the house and went back to mine, getting a late start on weekly grocery shopping and going to buy a muzzle as well.

I returned to the other village in the early evening, gave Sugar his regular food, took him for his usual walk, and was getting ready to go home, realizing that now I would have to come twice a day, morning and evening, not just once a day anymore. But those people showed up again as I was getting ready to leave, and they had not been given up. A big juicy (presumably- but not at all- rich) American placed by circumstance in a convenient cultural web. Once they realized they had no real claim on me and that I was not going to fork up anything, they just let out their anger on me. "Why do take care of this dog anyway? Don't come back again." I said I had already bought a sturdy muzzle and that Sugar's collar was already tighter than before, but that he could not stay inside day in and day out on a three foot chain. "Don't come back again." They repeated.

It was clear what they were going to do. Kill Sugar, tonight. They had already "offered" to do it when they asked for money.

There was only one thing to do. If I left Sugar tonight, he would be dead by morning, probably shot or speared. So after they left, I walked away into the night with him and took him home (he can't ride on the motorcycle anymore- he doesn't trust people like before, probably since he was beaten.)

Now he's here in my front yard tonight. I can make it work, but it's going to be very convoluted, and Sugar will still have to be on a (now longer) chain and outside. I simply don't have another spare room left. However he will have a roof over his head on the little patio, and although it doesn't get too cold here in winter, I can probably set him up with some sort of doghouse when the chill is coming.

I don't know if my actions were wise. But I know if I hadn't gone to take care of Sugar every day these past months, he would have gone crazy or died of neglect by now, and he certainly would have been killed tonight.

I hope me and the- now five- dogs are going to be alright.

*Name changed here.

You absolutely did the right thing taking Sugar in and saving him. No way around it...I would have done it too. You are Sugar's hero. You will be alright because you are doing what needs to be done for this poor dog. He was really surrounded by scumbags and you are his real friend.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Sugar's sad story has a happy turn, thanks' for stepping up to the plate!

Thank you Esme and Neotheone. Sugar's history of (and still current) volatility and my insufficient facilities make for a stressful situation. Of course the arrival of any new dog is stressful, but this time even more so than others.

So lots of intentional, calm breathing.

Sugar is much enjoying having constant access to clear, clean drinking water. In his old place he was given only "utility water", intended for showers and dish washing, not for consumption. Heaven knows what effect that had. And shortly after that water was laid out, if it was laid out (Grrrr!), it was always quickly muddied by the surrounding ducks. Very rarely did I arrive at the old place and see that Sugar both had water and that it had not become brown with dirt/mud. But now he really seems to enjoy drinking the same water I do, and often cooled from the refrigerator at that.

Also he is already significantly calmer on his walks. He used to pull frantically for most of any walk. Now that has decreased quite a bit.

Finally, so far I am able to fully open the front door so that Sugar, on his now longer chain, can see (females) Boise and Sunny inside downstairs, and vice versa. Although all parties are still wary and on guard, they have mostly stopped barking at each other. I hope to get Sugar to be able to sleep inside with them at night, because right now he is being tormented by the thick mosquitoes here outside at night. In the meantime, I am buying some mosquito coils today to lay out. I really hate using chemicals like that, but the poor guy gets literally covered in mosquitoes sucking him while he tries to sleep. It's truly disgusting, and I can't stand that another night. Hopefully I can make further progress toward enabling him to sleep indoors at night.
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 09-21-2017 at 02:00 AM.

I'm sorry to hear about this turn of events Dog Force, a salvation for Sugar if only temporary....who knows what will take place if/when his owner gets back home. You're a good guy with a big heart to take him under your wing even beyond what you were doing already. I know you already have a little bit of a touchy situation with your other dogs and living situation. I'm sure you're stressed, but you did the best thing for Sugar....hugs.

Hope these characters don't try to do you any harm, or your dogs, or your home....some people are real creeps and will do anything especially if they think they're getting screwed out of money (they don't deserve). Thinking of you and hoping for the best.

You are definitely an inspiration! We can't stand idly by and do nothing while poor animals suffer by the hands of monsters. Life for Sugar now is so much better and I know that your other little ones will be accepting.

^^ and ^ Thank you.

Yesterday twice Sugar turned over and asked me to rub his stomach, which he had almost never done and only long ago. Also, later as I was sitting next to him, he came and rested his head on my leg, which he had never done. Last night the mosquito coil got rid of a lot of the mosquitoes and let him sleep better.

Last edited by Dog Force One; 09-22-2017 at 02:19 AM.

That's truly wonderful my friend

Conditions are difficult and strained. I do not have enough room for everyone. Still working on getting Sugar off the chain in the yard. At night he is able to sleep indoors now, still on the chain for now, downstairs with the girls Boise and Sunny. It's all I can do just to keep everyone rolling from morning to night one day to the next. Not sleeping enough. Often at wit's end. I think I need to have a very large crate built or fencing to divide the yard as a much needed shuffling space. Benny and Joey are not getting any yard time anymore, only twice daily walks, because there is no place to shuffle a fifth dog. None of the three males can be together.

I was wondering how things were going with you and the dogs Dog Force, thanks for the update. Sugar looks like a very nice dog, and it sure does sound like you have your hands full there.....kudos for cutting into your own time and life to keep things going for Sugar and your other dogs. I agree, a small enclosed kennel run that is shaded would be a good place for you to switch the dogs out to make things work there for you. I admire you for all you're doing, you're a good man my friend....hugs.

It's not easy I know but you are doing your best to keep Sugar and everyone safe plus keeping the peace among them can be difficult. Anytime you feel stressed out please come on here to vent but also to re-read all the kind words your friends have written about you. Keep up the great job because Sugar looks so relaxed. I know things will get easier with time and we are here to give you support

Thank you Alpha and Esme. The Story continues.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.