Need help with shiba inu bad.

Need help with shiba inu bad.

I have a 5 month old shiba inu and she is such a pain in the ass. I love her to death but she doesn't listen. She looks at me when I say her name but she doesn't come. She has learned the come command as well as sit. And no bite. But she continues to jump and bite hands. As well as ignore me. I've had a pug and a German Shepard and they listened to me like it was their god given task. But she just shrugs me off like I'm just in her way. I really need help training her. She barks and bites noses when she licks. And she runs out the door and chews on everything.

She's just a baby, give her some time to learn to respond to you in a more reliable way. Be patient and calm, use good small tempting treats to reinforce the commands. Praise and reward whenever she does what she should.

Before she jumps up, command her to sit. Do it before she jumps up, to break any bad habit she might be developing. Spend more one on one time with her, short lessons and lots of love. Have some small rawhide bones in your pockets at home, immediately when she goes to bite nose, hands or anything she shouldn't, put the bone in her mouth and tell her "no, you chew this!". When she walks away from it, pick it up and put it in your pocket for next 'lesson'.

She'll listen if you're patient and put in the time and work to train her. She wants to please you, but you have to calmly show her what she needs to do. Good luck!

Thank you!

You're welcome Austin! She's like a sponge at that age, ready to learn, just repeat enough until she does the command easily....it will become habit.

Hi Austin- I also have a Shiba Inu mix- looks and behaves like a Shiba Inu (except for the shape of his head/face), and he is also the most challenging youngster I have cared for. At home he is mostly fine, but he is very frustrating to walk. He pulls the leash way too much, and nothing I have tried seems to make it much better. When he sees another male dog or a cat, he doesn't just go crazy, he's like- possessed by the devil. Thank goodness the harness and leash have always held up so far. Also after initially being nice to my partner, after some time he got into a spooky mood and attacked my partner out of the blue- probably thinking he was guarding the house, because my partner has his own place. Now my partner and the Shiba must always be in separate rooms. Always. Anyway what I have read is that Shiba Inus are famous for being a very cat like breed. Independent, distracted, self-absorbed, and more difficult to train than many other breeds. The good news is- yes- I love him a lot too. He is now one year and four months old, and he was a rescue who came to me at about 10 months old- six and a half months ago. At home he can be very lovable and affectionate. I have made some progress just going with my gut. I show him love and try not to obsess about the things that frustrate me. I can say that this has made a gradual, modest improvement. He is less self-absorbed than before when he is at home. I don't think he will ever be able to be with my partner again, but you know, sometimes....

These are the terms of endearment.
    Last edited by Dog Force One; 05-17-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.