Owning Pets is Good for the Immune System

Thumbs up Owning Pets is Good for the Immune System

I never had pets as a kid except for a couple of goldfish and my brother's baby turtles. But, aside from basic good hygiene taught to us by our mother, we weren't protected from playing outdoors in dirt or city sidewalks, etc. Not overly protected with sneeze guards like I see these days. Growing up with pets is good for the immune system. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/05/17/owning-dog-improves-gut-health.aspx

• According to the hygiene hypothesis, living in semi-sterile environments can create health problems because the immune system remains immature without adequate exposure to a variety of microbes
    • Studies show that babies living in homes with dogs have more diversified gut bacteria — an indicator of immune system health — than kids who live in pet-free households
    • Studies also show that school-age children who grow up with dogs have a lower incidence of allergies and asthma
    • Evidence is mounting that early exposure to pets primes infants’ immune systems to learn the difference between harmful pathogens and harmless environmental irritants

Very true! As I've gotten older I realize that having pets is not only good for me physically but also mentally. They keep me going and being a diabetic I am so glad they are around to make me feel better and not wallow in self pity. Just looking at their adorable faces makes me smile.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Followers of questionable hygiene are vindicated at last!

Oh dirt, we celebrate you! :- )

And what of the obsessive compulsive cleaners? Oh, their poor kids.

I had heard about the pet/gut connection before here:

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I never had pets as a kid except for a couple of goldfish and my brother's baby turtles. But, aside from basic good hygiene taught to us by our mother, we weren't protected from playing outdoors in dirt or city sidewalks, etc. Not overly protected with sneeze guards like I see these days. Growing up with pets is good for the immune system. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/05/17/owning-dog-improves-gut-health.aspx

Owning Pets is good for everything. Unconditional love and shining eyes ,how can one not love that Not back talk or arguments.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.