Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has your dog reacted badly to 'Cytopoint' injection (new anti-itch shot)

Has your dog reacted badly to 'Cytopoint' injection (new anti-itch shot)

My dog had 'Cytopoint' injection 3 weeks ago (new anti-itch med) and her existing back/pain issues seemed to have increased. Due to get 2nd injection in 3 days......Has anyone else experienced similar?? Hesitating to get 2nd shot.

Welcome Ruby, no experience with those injections here.

I haven't used it either but its a new medication and I never will try a new med until its been tested and tested and tested. Regardless what anyone tells you ALL medications have some sort of side effect. I'd check it out before having any more injections

the company that makes it says its safe with no side effects but the only testing has been done by the company. No independent research has been done on the product as of yet.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hi Ruby Red, I have no experience with that shot, but I'm like Linda in that I avoid new medications. Drug companies are notoriously unethical and care about profit much more than patients. In this case, my instinct would be the same as yours and I wouldn't get the second shot. I always consider my interaction with the vet a dialog, and I won't be railroaded into something that seems like a bad idea for my dog. And when my dog is reacting badly or needs my advocacy in some other way, I am politely pushy until I get my way. The dog comes first. It's about the dog. Not the clinic, not the vet, not the treatment. There were two clinics over the years that I did not go back to, because I did not feel they really cared about my dogs and me and their advice really did not seem right.

I advocate for my dogs and do not care about making the vet uncomfortable if I myself am uncomfortable about what is happening. We're all our dogs have. They need our voice. They need us on their side, watching their back and fighting for them, not taking care of some vet's feelings or pride. Vets are in their own, odd world.

Unhappy

My pittie has horrible skin issues and has had one surgery for a Mast Cell Tumor. She was put on Apoquel which worked for awhile but lately seemed to not work so well. She has another "spot" beside her anus and because of the sensitive area vet chose to just watch it. So with the more scratching vet suggested Cytopoint and she got the shot Thursday. Thursday night I noticed the "spot" had grown in size and she did not eat all her dinner. Mind you she would eat me out of house and home if I let her. My husband was havig surgery yesterday so I could not take her to vet. Today Saturday I got up and the "sore" was even bigger AND bleeding. Is this just the nature of the beast as Mast Cell Tumors are? I THINK NOT!! I read only one study has been done on this drug and I am devastated with this new problem. I had to get my husband home from hospital today so my sweet dog is bandaged up with t-shirts and tape and gauze and whatever else I can get on her. Vet said bring her in Monday. What a joke. I can not do anything now because husband needs my help. This is very concerning and I am worried sick. This dog is my child, and I am praying the Cytopoint is not the cause. Very strange this "spot" has been fine for years and now grows AND bleeds after Cytopoint. I would advise any animal owner to be very careful before using this drug.

its a fairly new drug and no matter what anyone tells you ALL drugs have some side effect. Because its so new I would never use it. Not saying that is what it is but I would not use it. Until you can get her to the vet I'd suggest putting bag balm on it, it will make it soft so it doesn't crust and scab over. You can get bag balm at a drug store or an animal feed store. We used it on cows for everything. You can give her benadryl for the itch and wash it with unscented baby wipes. Do her feet and belly as well with the baby wipes every time she comes in from outside. I suspect when you bring her back to the vet he will shave the area down to the skin and give you an anti biotic. If you do put her on an anti biotic be sure to give her a probiotic. The anti biotic will kill the good bacteria in her intestines and the probiotic will put it back. A dog's health and immune system pretty much originates in the gut so be sure to start her on a probiotic. Actually I give my dog a probiotic daily, whether she needs it or not. It can't hurt and does help
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Unhappy Cytopoint

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    its a fairly new drug and no matter what anyone tells you ALL drugs have some side effect. Because its so new I would never use it. Not saying that is what it is but I would not use it. Until you can get her to the vet I'd suggest putting bag balm on it, it will make it soft so it doesn't crust and scab over. You can get bag balm at a drug store or an animal feed store. We used it on cows for everything. You can give her benadryl for the itch and wash it with unscented baby wipes. Do her feet and belly as well with the baby wipes every time she comes in from outside. I suspect when you bring her back to the vet he will shave the area down to the skin and give you an anti biotic. If you do put her on an anti biotic be sure to give her a probiotic. The anti biotic will kill the good bacteria in her intestines and the probiotic will put it back. A dog's health and immune system pretty much originates in the gut so be sure to start her on a probiotic. Actually I give my dog a probiotic daily, whether she needs it or not. It can't hurt and does help
    I have done all of the above. My point was the safety of Cytopint. Her spot which is probably another mast cell tumor grew 3 to 4 times its size and bled a lot. It has been stable for years until this shot. Mast cell tumors are not fun and the thought of losing her is too much to bear. I am furious with vet who wouldn't see her til Monday. Plus her appetite has slowed down a bit and she seems more tired than usual.

How is your dog doing today? I hope she's better today and tomorrow when you go see the vet you can get further help. Coming on this forum and sharing your bad experience can help others who are thinking about using that drug on their dog. I would contact the manufacturer and relay all that's happened...it could help. Please keep us posted.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

just a suggestion: if your vet wants to put her on Atopica (cortosporin) please read the negative side effects before putting her on it.

Cytopoint reactions

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    How is your dog doing today? I hope she's better today and tomorrow when you go see the vet you can get further help. Coming on this forum and sharing your bad experience can help others who are thinking about using that drug on their dog. I would contact the manufacturer and relay all that's happened...it could help. Please keep us posted.

Thank you for the kind words and concern for my baby. The "spot" as we call it is not bleeding today but still inflamed and red and purple. I have put the "cone of shame" on her to prevent licking since she knows something is back there that should not be. I am going to tell the vet tomorrow that this incident s/b reported to the maker specifically with regards using in dogs with histories of mast cell tumors. Since this "spot" has been stable for years w/o signs of growth or any change I will remain highly skeptical irregardless of what the vet tells me. And I have no doubt what he will tell me tomorrow as far as the safety of this drug. All drugs have side effects and I did read that no antibodies have EVER been injected into dogs. If someone knows otherwise please let me know. Thanks again....

My shih Tzu mix was brought to our Vet for skin allergies on Sept 13, 2017, that he contracted about a year ago and the allergies came back this summer with a little more intensity. He had some itchy scaly spots on his skin. His name was Georgie. Georgie was 13 years old and in very good health with no underlying diseases or illnesses. As far as we knew and as far as we observed Georgie was happy and running around the day we brought him in for skin allergies. Last year in 2016, I decided to just put Benadryl cream on his skin and eventually the allergies subsided. This year, because the itching was a bit more intense we decided along with the vet to give him the CytoPoint Injection to help him stop itching. Two days after the injection, Georgie began to bleed internally. His antibodies began to attack his red blood cells and Platelets. Georgie died 7 days after the CytoPoint injection and after 3 blood transfusions. CytoPoint killed my dog. This is a warning to all Pet owners. Cytopoint has not been on the market long, only 8-9 months, with ONE case study. We unfortunately researched everything about the company Zoetis and CytoPoint after the death of my dog. Please DO NOT have CYTOPOINT administered/injected into your Dog for allergies or itchy skin. CytoPoint is a Biologic with Antibodies that are to program how cells send messages to the brain about itching. Georgie was injected with these Antibodies, where the antibodies turned against his body attacking red blood cells and platelets. My family is in pursuit to go after Zoetis for compensation for the $5,000 of Emergency Blood Transfusions that we incurred. Please head this warning and share with anyone you think may be considering CytoPoint for their Dog.

I'm very sorry your lost your dog, I warn people about not using new drugs they claim are "safe" until its been tested on thousands of dogs with no problem. You can't know its safe when only tried on a few dogs but if these particular dogs don't show any reaction they claim the drug is safe. Not good enough for me.

We as pet owners trust our vets to do what's best for them but as much as I love and trust my vet I do research on whatever he prescribes before going along with it. When my bengal broke his leg vet wanted to give him a long lasting antibiotic shot, you know the one that stays in the system for six moths. I said, not happening, give me the anti biotics and I'll make sure he takes it. Not negotiable. They may be vets but we have the final say as what's done to them.

Lisam I'm sorry about your beloved Georgie. That is a tragedy but sharing what happened hopefully will prevent others from having their vet use CytoPoint.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Angry Cytopoint Injection Nightmare

Our Irish Terrier, Murphy has chronic skin allergies and had been using Apoquel, which seemed to work pretty well. We were told about this new injection that seemed to work just as well, if not better and that it had no bad effects thus far. Our Murphy has had two injections without any issues. As the second one was starting to wear off (every 4-5 weeks), he had his third injection this past Friday, September 22, 2017. The next day, he seemed to be not himself such as not eating and laying down sleeping all day. By Sunday, he was very lethargic, walking gingerly (when we could get him up), not eating, and peeing where he laid (right before bedtime). We called the vet first thing in the morning and they took him in and noted that he had a fever of 104. They told us to take him to the animal hospital right away, which we did. By the time we got to the hospital, his fever was 105. They admitted him and did a lot of testing, with no definitive answer. He has been on IV fluids and antibiotics. His fever as of today is 103 and he still cannot get up on his own. He was discharged home to our care with three different medications to fight the infection (antibiotics) and possible fungal infection. He is eating and drinking when we put it in front of him, but will not get up on his own. He has a follow up appointment on Friday and if his fever has not come down, they are going to do a skin biopsy. This is a nightmare and we are already in debit by $3,155 thus far. I wish we had NEVER given him that injection. I strongly urge people to not use this product if your pet has chronic skin allergies (to the point that they have no fur left and get constant skin yeast infections). I am so angry right now and am seriously going to look into legal action again this company for all the pain and suffering our dog and family are going through right now. Shame on them for their limited testing, false advertising and not having FDA involved!!! I pray our Murphy makes it through this toxic poisoning.

Please see my post below. They are using our dogs as guinea pigs for their experiment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.