Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Has your dog reacted badly to 'Cytopoint' injection (new anti-itch shot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    In short, yes, I find it odd, too. I have dug around a few times now as well and also come out with next to nothing.
    Thanks for your reply DF, I'd like to see more discussion/evidence of the Cytopoint injection causing serious illness or death in dogs. I like to hear all sides of the story and decide from there, but there is little to nothing on the web.

If the information we want was available from the sources we are looking for, a book would have been published already.

I just compared how two veterinary drug makers (Zoetis and Merck) attempt to prove the safety of their products. Merck has a "product label" link on each medication description, which includes a full list of warning and cautions. Zoetis, as we all seem to know by now, has no links to webpages with that information. Unfortunately none of Merck's products are injections for itchy dogs, but when I read about a topical treatment for ear infections, it was exactly what I was looking for and could not find on the Zoetis site. If Merck made Cytopoint everybody would have known in 2016 all of the side effects it can cause just by visiting their website. My point is Zoetis is the one failing your dogs because other companies make sure veterinarians know everything.

My Springer X aged nearly 7 started exhibiting fly-snapping behaviour recently, and I was assured that it can't be Cytopoint. He had been terribly itchy and it was found to be a storage mite allergy. We were struggling to control it with diet and Apoquel, so we agreed to try Cytopoint - he's been having a monthly injection for several months now. Even with that he was still scratching, so the vet increased the dose after consulting with Zoetis. However now that he has started this fly-snapping, I asked the vet not to give the next dose in case he is having focal seizures caused by the injection. Does anyone else have similar experience? My vet will report it for me as a new side-effect if we think it is this. Kidney function all checked and OK...

Welcome Spot. Sorry to hear your dog is having this reaction to that shot, I really hope that it doesn't progress to seizures or worse. I would definitely refuse a second dose, there are other ways to help with allergies or itching that don't involve such devastating side effects, up to and including death. I only know what I've read about personal stories here on these threads, not much additional info online or any reports of class action lawsuits against the company. I won't ever give my dog this shot, and he does seem to have seasonal allergies every summer into fall.

At least your veterinarian is willing to report a new side effect to Zoetis if focal seizures occur. I did not read all of the horror stories on this forum, but apparently other people have vets who refuse to accept the fact that Cytopoint is the cause of post-treatment disorders, including seizures.

Alpha is not alone. If I ever had a dog with allergies, it would get the same treatment my cat did: customized allergy shots to be given once a week.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.