Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Has your dog reacted badly to 'Cytopoint' injection (new anti-itch shot)

It's such a shame that there are such bad side effects. Speaking out about it hopefully convinces people not to let their vet talk them into getting this shot for their dogs. I just hope that the side effects subside for those poor dogs who've had the injection and they can recover fully.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

good luck with trying to educate people, some listens to their vet or someone that's had good luck with something. Never mind the facts, people believe what they want to believe and nothing anyone says will change their minds. If someone asks for advice then give it to them but if their mind is already made up before they even ask you are just wasting your breath. Some people have to learn the hard way.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thanks so much to all of you who posted. After reading this I will NOT be trying this "Wonder Drug" on my dog. We'll look for an alternative for his itching.

Cytopoint - severe diarrhea

My Boston Terrier got a Cytopoint injection on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Cytopoint is nothing to be thankful for. 2 hours after injection she started having watery diarrhea. Being a Boston she is normally gassy but she passes gas constantly since the shot and the odor is unlike any of her toots I’ve ever smelled. It is horrible. She has urgent diarrhea every 1-1/2 to 2 hours around the clock since Wednesday. I have had no sleep. Of course after the fact I find out this is so new with little to no long term studies. Naturally she got the injection late Wednesday her vet is not open on Thanksgiving or today but he is going to hear from me first thing Saturday morning. Never again. I urge extreme caution to any considering Cytopoint.

when you talk to your vet tell him you want some propectalin, that will help with the loose stools and settle her stomach. Also give her a probiotic, you should be giving her a probiotic daily anyway.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

ViviansMom...sorry to hear about your dog. Linda has a good point about propectalin and if your local pet store doesn't sell it you can buy it online (Amazon, chewy.com) have it. Hopefully that could help until you contact the vet's Monday and ream them out. Hope she gets better soon.

My dog Jacob, an 8 year old, perfectly healthy, Siberian Husky, recently passed away on Saturday (December 2nd). He dropped to the ground and stopped breathing. Jacob was in perfect health and the doctors at the hospital could not figure out why he died. I took Jacob to the vet exactly two weeks before his death. He had a small wound on his paw that he kept licking so I decided to get a Vet's opinion on what my dog needed. After they checked Jacob, they printed out a list of 10 things Jacob needed to treat this small itchy spot on his paw. The list of "necessities" that they were trying to make me purchase were over 500 dollars. I then asked the vet which ones are crucial for Jacob's itchy spot. They suggested the Cytopoint injection and explained that it has had great results for dogs with itching. They gave Jacob two injections of Cytopoint. Exactly two weeks from his injection, Jacob's heart stopped beating and he passed away. I'm not 100% sure if Cytopoint is the reasoning behind my dog's death, but Jacob was a young, healthy dog who was perfectly fine before his visit to the vet. Cytopoint is a new injection for dogs that has barely been tested. Be very careful with visits to the vet and what they advise your dog to take.

I'm so sorry to hear about Jacob. It's such a shame that we trust our vets so much and then it turns out so tragic.

I am so sorry to hear about your dog , but I want to thank u for sharing. You have probably saved my dog Bruno’s life. I gave my dog a cytopoint injection about 6 weeks ago and directly after the injection my pug refused to move, walk or eat . It has taken lots of TLC to bring him back to normal. And thank God he is a very strong resilient 13 yr old pug and with every passing day slowly recovered. I will most definitely NEVER give my dog a cytopoint injection again. He was so bad, I will never take him to that vet again. It is sad that vets are giving these injections without really knowing ALL of the side effects or any of the long term effects. My advise to anybody that cares about their dog....stay away from Cytopoint!!!

I had posted on this "wonder drug" when it first came out, if you'd like to read it

http://www.petforums.com/showthread....ight=cytopoint

what you mean with TLC?

Quote Originally Posted by DrG View Post
    I am so sorry to hear about your dog , but I want to thank u for sharing. You have probably saved my dog Bruno’s life. I gave my dog a cytopoint injection about 6 weeks ago and directly after the injection my pug refused to move, walk or eat . It has taken lots of TLC to bring him back to normal. And thank God he is a very strong resilient 13 yr old pug and with every passing day slowly recovered. I will most definitely NEVER give my dog a cytopoint injection again. He was so bad, I will never take him to that vet again. It is sad that vets are giving these injections without really knowing ALL of the side effects or any of the long term effects. My advise to anybody that cares about their dog....stay away from Cytopoint!!!
    Please could you let me know what exactly you did with your dog, because i gave a first shot to my dog two weeks ago and now started to show excessive watery eyes, and all all mucous areas are getting squamous and the itch not seems to get better, im reading all this cases and now im very concern and i want to act fast. PLEASE help me!!

I have a 7 yr old itchy Golden Retriever. She had been on 1 16mg. Apoquil and 3 Zyrtec daily for approximately 2 years. I took her to a Vet Dermatologist and was recommended Cytopint injections. She had her first one on Dec. 18th. It worked like a charm and she had immediate relief. I boarded her at a vet/boarding facility from 12/23 to 12/26 while I was out of town for Christmas. When I picked her up on the 26th, she had a large amount of yellow matter in her left eye. She had been groomed as well while boarded so I assumed soap had gotten in her eye. When I got her home, I began to look at her and something was wrong. The left side of her face was drooping. Her whiskers were pointing down, left nostril was closed, eye would not blink and her left ear would not perk up and was not responsive. She slobbered from the left side. It looked like she had had a stroke. I took her to another vet who checked her out. She said she had Facial Nerve Paralysis. I'm not certain the Cytopoint is the problem but she was "perfect" before the shot. I'm praying that when the shot wears off, some of the side effects will too. We won't be using this product again.

So sorry RkyMtnGrl, what a terrible thing to happen. It does definitely sound like a stroke, hope she has some recovery.

My max great pyrenees mix passed last week on the 29th a few weeks after his first cytopoint shot after yrs of apoquel thought this could bea cost effictive option and it worked great the first couple weeks then he seemed to be feeling down thought maybe his allergies were bothering him come the night after Christmas hes completely lethargic not eating and miserable rushed him to the vet the next morning they did blood work and was in complete kidney failure they said it was chronic? Although they never suspected it before.. they tried to save him but his bun numbers weren't coming down enough by the thrid day of saline flush he was soo wiped he wouldn't get up at all and he didn't make it my pupper man to the day 1 month shy of 8 years passed in my arms.. cant say for certain it was the cytopoint but the suspicion is real

My sympathy for your loss Becca, if this is that dangerous, they must stop using it. As you say, it may be hard to prove.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.