Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cat is banished outside. Frustrated

cat is banished outside. Frustrated

I have lived with my bf in his apartment for about 4 years,his sister lived with us as well who also had 2 cats (2 females both, spayed). They are all 10+ years old or so his sister's cats and my bf's cat (spayed, female) did not get along and it caused a lot of behavioral problems including inappropriate urination/pooping all over the apartment. The state of the apartment just got worse and worse to the point where it became a regular to smell cat urine and feces all the time. It did not help that the entire apartment was carpet so if you attempted to clean the carpet the smell would still linger. This drove me to the point of insanity as I was the one doing a lot of the cleaning most of the time while my bf was at work and his sister became lazy and never cleaned the litter box.

Anyway, my bf and I have moved into a new house and decided that the cat would only have access to one room which is a rather big den. We let her in on the first day and she was good for a whole hour or so, I look away for 10 minutes and the first thing she does is pee on my brand new rug despite having access to outside, etc. This was the topping of the cake and I couldn't take it anymore because I feared the den room would become the "cat pee and poop smell room" I said she had to live in the garage with access to the outside only.

Please keep in mind that this is from a built up of 3-4 years frustration of cleaning up cat feces on the floor or finding it on your clothes, etc and it just came to a head.

Anyways now I am starting to have second thoughts because I am worried about the cat becoming depressed from not having as much human interaction as she had access to before. I am worried that she might become depressed and run away. But at the same time there is no way we can keep our eyes on her constantly so she will end up peeing or pooping in the room until she is trained out of it but I am worried of the state that the room might be in until that happens so I am hesitant about letting her back in.

I don't know what to do.

has the cat been checked by a vet? There could be some underlying condition like a uti that makes her want to pee in soft places. Its not safe for her to be allowed to go outside, cars, predators, evil people ect, she is in danger. She will get depressed living by herself, cats are social and want to be with their people. If necessary put her in a large dog crate with her litter box and food and water and a bed when you can't watch her. That is not the ideal solution but the only other alternative is finding her a new home.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hi Rayedrgn- Does the new den have a litter box where she can go anytime she has to, or does she need to wait/ask to go outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Hi Rayedrgn- Does the new den have a litter box where she can go anytime she has to, or does she need to wait/ask to go outside?
    She will have access to go out to the garage that has a litter box and an outside cat door. The problem is if she pees indoors, in a corner it could cause issues if it seeps under the edges or something.

She has a litter box and uses it quite frequently but she will also pee indoors unexpectedly.

I have thought about purchasing those pee pads for dogs and maybe lining them along the walls in case she pees at least it wont seep under the walls.

Thanks. So- sorry to be very clear- you mean she has a litter box right there in the same room and knows how to use it but often she doesn't use it?

Or she has to go to a different place to get to the litter box?

Have these cats had vet check-ups? It may be a urinary tract infection which can be treated by an antibiotic. Keeping the litter box clean is very important. Also what kind of litter box do you have and what kind of litter do you use? Having a litter box that is large and deep would work well as opposed to a litter box that has a hood on it because some cats feel trapped in it. It’s a good thing to have multiple litter boxes. I have a problem every once in a while with my Daisy…she will pee outside the litter box and many areas of our carpeting are beyond help. Our vet can’t find any wrong with her physically so this is a behavior problem. I believe that prior to us adopting her she was mistreated and that’s why she has issues. It’s important that you don’t yell or strike out at your cat when she doesn’t use the litter box. You and your bf need to show her more love and give her more attention. Do you play with her and does she have toys to amuse herself while in solitary confinement which I believe is not the answer. It’s not her fault that she has accidents.
    ďSave a life and save a strayĒ

esme, if the cat has a medical problem thats one thing but if she is just doing it to be disagreeable thats another. Nothing worse than a dirty cat, they are either clean or they aren't. And once they turn dirty its almost impossible to retrain them to use the box. Its either keep it confined or let it destroy the house. And nothing smells worse than cat pee
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Rayedrgn View Post
    Anyway, my bf and I have moved into a new house and decided that the cat would only have access to one room which is a rather big den. We let her in on the first day and she was good for a whole hour or so, I look away for 10 minutes and the first thing she does is pee on my brand new rug despite having access to outside, etc. This was the topping of the cake and I couldn't take it anymore because I feared the den room would become the "cat pee and poop smell room" I said she had to live in the garage with access to the outside only.

Please keep in mind that this is from a built up of 3-4 years frustration of cleaning up cat feces on the floor or finding it on your clothes, etc and it just came to a head.

Anyways now I am starting to have second thoughts because I am worried about the cat becoming depressed from not having as much human interaction as she had access to before. I am worried that she might become depressed and run away. But at the same time there is no way we can keep our eyes on her constantly so she will end up peeing or pooping in the room until she is trained out of it but I am worried of the state that the room might be in until that happens so I am hesitant about letting her back in.

I don't know what to do.
    You can't blame your boyfriend's cat's behavior for the time spent with his sister's two cats that didn't get along. It seems there was a lot of chaos and territorial or dominating behavior going on for 4 years.

Now that you have a new home, isolating the cat in one room is abusive in my opinion. Cats need to receive attention and affection from their owners. A cat locked up in a room is terrible, how do you expect the cat to behave in a brand new environment without even having the secure feeling of the owners comforting her and looking out for her? She is insecure, confused and quite frankly probably afraid of her new surroundings and life....and I don't blame her, think about it.

I'm glad you're having second thoughts, you should be worried. I feel bad for the cat at this point, and I hope you make some changes and have her a loved part of the family this time around. I wouldn't even let her outdoors until you've been in the new house for at least 6 months, then just introduce her to the outside yard on a harness and leash.

If you really care for the cat, you'll avoid what might turn out to be a fatal mistake, just for an incident of soiling out of the box. I clean out solid waste daily for my cat, and change the complete litter every 7-10 days.

Clean the spot thoroughly, freshen it with a lemon or citrus scented cleaner or even pure lemon juice (no sugar). Don't scold the cat, yell or hit at all! Make sure the cat has at least a couple of cat trees near different windows, where she can relax and get some mental exercise and amusement watching birds, people and other outdoor things. Little mouse toys, busy balls and play with a feather wand even for ten minutes a day will help the cat bond with you and release some energy in a positive way.

Make the time to hold her, pet her, give her special treats, talk to her in a nice way.....and make sure your boyfriend does the same and is on the same page. The behavior has a good chance of changing, but the mood and attitude surrounding the cat has got to be first to change. Make sure she has clean litter boxes in the house, use two in different areas. Pick areas that are quiet and out of the way of human traffic, where she can relax to do her business.

Good luck, start with a fresh and new beginning, you can make this work and give the cat a happy and secure environment that she deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    esme, if the cat has a medical problem thats one thing but if she is just doing it to be disagreeable thats another. Nothing worse than a dirty cat, they are either clean or they aren't. And once they turn dirty its almost impossible to retrain them to use the box. Its either keep it confined or let it destroy the house. And nothing smells worse than cat pee
    Almost impossible, but not impossible. The cat has been taken out of the hostile environment that she had with the other cats for one thing, which probably had a lot to do with the problem. If someone is going to keep a cat confined to a room or the garage, then they should just dump it off at a no-kill shelter, at least that way there's hope of it enjoying a normal life in a loving home before it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Itís important that you donít yell or strike out at your cat when she doesnít use the litter box. You and your bf need to show her more love and give her more attention. Do you play with her and does she have toys to amuse herself while in solitary confinement which I believe is not the answer. Itís not her fault that she has accidents.
    Couldn't agree with you more Esme.

I agree, the cat should have never been put in that position to begin with but she was and now the owners should deal with the problem they created. But I can understand their frustration with dealing with the problem. So its either deal with it, take responsibility for what they themselves created or find the cat another home but who in their right mind would take a cat with these issues?

Sorry for taking a bit to reply I have just checked back on the post. I will try to address some of the questions/concerns that were brought up.

1. The cat is currently being kept in the garage which has a cat door that leads to the outside. She is free to go outside and inside as she pleases. If the cat is brought inside into the den room the door is left open to the garage (the litter box is in the garage) so that she will have access to it. I failed to mention at the beginning that this cat was once feral, she was born on a farm and lived outside for quite a few years of her life but was taken home by my bf. So, this isn't her first time being introduced to the outdoors. Also, there was one point when she had open access to the outside and would go outside frequently to lay in the sun but she wasn't able to do that while living at the apartments because technically there was no yard to lay in.

2. The cat has not been taken to the vet yet but I am thinking about suggesting it. However, other then occasional peeing on the carpet she isn't showing signs of having any type of illness and she DOES use her litter box frequently but she will ALSO randomly pee on the carpet,clothes, etc. Which I personally think is behavior brought on by living with other cats because one cat would pee and then the other cats would pee in the same spot.

3. The litter she is using right now is fresh step clumping litter. She did have an automatic litter box cleaner with blue litter scoop free crystals by pet safe at the apartment but we changed it because it was too expensive and didn't conceal smell as well.

4. The cat is not being completely neglected, we still go outside and pay attention to her or spend time with her in the garage. But we can't allow her inside at this time until we can figure out how to properly manage these behavioral issues first.

Please be aware that the cat is being properly cared for and isn't being neglected but for the time being I am not going to allow it inside the house because if the cat were to pee multiple times in the same corner and it seeps under the walls or soaks into the wood siding, then we would have to tear out the wood and replace it or the smell would linger and build up.

I am trying to avoid damage that would be costly to replace.

Ultimately, I am looking for ideas as to how I can avoid damage being done to the corners of the room if we were to let her inside. Because I know that it is unavoidable until we can train her out of this behavior, should we cover the place in pee pads, plastic, old towels? I am not sure what is the best way to go about this because I don't want to end up with one room that has the distinct smell of cat urine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.