Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

cat is banished outside. Frustrated

I've read that they dislike walking on aluminum foil. This is a long shot, but maybe if you put down a strip of aluminum foil along the edges of the carpet, the cat won't go there.

also double sided tape
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you for adding more information. I've used a number of things like foil and tape and those are pretty effective. Also I've put some a hand towel down...folded in half with a small piece of plastic so that the urine won't seep to the other half. I've also tried sprinkling some cayenne pepper in the location. I really hope things can work out.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

When my dog developed epilepsy, she often lost control of her urine during her seizures. I used the water resistant cloth shower curtains, the ones that come in plain colors, under my couch and chair covers, and anywhere needed. It helped not to let any urine soak through, of course folded over is more effective. I hope things can work out too.

I went through this with a stray cat I brought in 4 years ago (neutered male) he had been outside for a least a year before we took him in.
    First- close off access to the outside. If she's been indoors for some time and she's a senior cat the outdoors isn't really that safe for her. I would personally close off access to the outdoors.

Even if you are die-hard against eliminating access to the outdoors please consider what I have to say next. I've been through this. I know the frustration and beyond simple frustration- the desperation- that goes along with dealing with a cat that routinely toilets outside the box.

First- get the vet exam. Talk about the inappropriate elimination with your vet. Rule out any medical issues. There are so many that can cause them to go outside the box. A UTI is a concern but the cat might also just have arthritis- she might need a box with a smaller rim so it's less painful to step inside.

Once the cat has been cleared of medical issues then you need to consider and be honest about how that box is kept. Some cats will want a different box for pee and poo. You really need to have multiple boxes. They need to be big enough for the cat- most commercial boxes are not nearly long enough- sterlite bins or under bed storage bins/ sweater bins from walmart or home depot are better. It sound's like you don't want litter boxes in the den but if she's going outside the box- there should be one or two in there. I didn't want litter boxes in my living room either- but we had three giantic ones in there. Recently- after a couple years we reduced it to two. They are big and highly visible to company. They create dust- but the cat uses them so we've adapted. Litters should be scooped 2 or 3 times a day but not all cats want completely new litter- some will want some old litter mixed in with new so it smells like they own it. So completely changing out litter and washing boxes might be the opposite of what the cat wants.

You will have to get a little scientific and experiment with what might work. It could be that she had a UTI at some point previous and since it was painful to go to the bathroom in the box she is litter box averted. She trained herself not to go there. Also if she was ever attacked or provoked/ bothered by the other cat while using the box she might be trying to avoid it. Our cat was a real problem for about 2 years. After the first year of trying everything we broke down and dropped the money on a behaviorist who was an hour away from us. She worked with him and finally told us that he was a completely unusual case- in the 1% of cats where mere behavior modification wouldn't work- he needed medication. With 11 giant litter bins with different litters (towels, paper towels, natural fibers- wheat, corn, shredded newspaper, play sand, clay etc- the whole gamut) he had NO preference. Apparently ours is so indiscriminate that he does not care what he is going on- he'll even use an empty bin as a urinal. We had 11 litter bins over three feet long and scooped 3 times daily or changed out towels after each and every elimination. Nothing worked until we combined medication and training.

Once you've had the vet consult I could tell you what we had to do to train him but there is no point if there is a simple medical explanation. Training was long and hard so it'd be much easier for you to know what to do after you know the cat's status medically.

Sorry it has been a while but just figured I would update.There has not been anymore accidents since that one time however I still don't trust her to have free range of the house because of other behaviors I am not fond of such as jumping onto kitchen counters, sharping claws on furniture or getting into the trash (I swear this cat is worse than a dog). The cat is allowed in one room of the house which is the den that also has access to the garage, we are often in this room so the cat gets to be around people. I blame a lot of her bad behaviors for spending most of her life growing up as a stray on a farm. I don't know if it is possible to train her out of all the bad habits.

Thanks for all the advice!

cats can be very destructive, they are worse than dogs. If you get them young you can train them to use a scratching post instead of your furniture and teach them to stay off counters and tables. Apparently your's was never taught when she was young so you are going to have a hard time retraining her now. But good luck with trying
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.