Hello, I'm new to the forum, and my gerbil's undereye fur is red?

Talking Hello, I'm new to the forum, and my gerbil's undereye fur is red?

Hi, I have had a lot of questions about my pets in the past and I figured it would be quite useful to be involved in a forum like this one where I can ask specific questions rather than looking things up. I have a gerbil (Mac) two parakeets (Mr. and Mrs. Bird-Bird) two axolotls (Ollie and Alabaster) many fish, one of which is Edgar the blue Texas cichlid, a mini Australian shepherd (Ginger) and a horse, Goldie, who I do not own but ride regularly. I would appreciate all answers to my questions!

Something that has been pressing on my mind: this afternoon, when I went to feed my gerbil, Mac, I noticed that the fur under his eye (normally salt-and-peppery gray) was tinged with definite red. I could not see any kind of wound there, and there aren't any sharp objects in the cage anyway. I couldn't find any blood anywhere on him or around the cage. He will be five years old around August, so he's definitely up there in age - is the redness just discharge from his eye? The eye itself looks quite clear. Should I be worried?

Mac outlived his brother, Cheese, by nearly three years. I never saw any of this in Cheese, nor my other hamsters (Mac and Cheese are were/are my first gerbils.) Even though he's quite old, Mac has always been active. The red area is completely dry, and he's not scratching at it or anything like that. I will update if I see more redness.

Also I've read that irritation from bedding can sometimes cause redness around the eye, but the bedding I've always used has never bothered them before, it's unscented, paper, not dyed.

Any help would be extremely appreciated! Thanks

WELCOME! Wow you have a lot of animals and I love all those names! Sorry I don't have any experience with gerbils but keeping a close eye (no pun intended) on him is what I would do.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.