Pond GoldFish Turning White

Pond GoldFish Turning White

Hi,

I had a goldfish, in my pond, that developed white patches and these patches looked a bit fungussy. He/she also acted very under the weather and kept away from the other fish. I isolated the fish but it died within a few hours.

I have 2 other fish one that has turned completly white and another that is on the way however there is no sign of fungus and they are very active and feeding with a problem.

Any ideas?

Chris

I've only had a few small goldfish in the past, in a bowl, and they didn't change color. From all I've read, it may be due to old age or lack of light. It seems to be a very common thing with goldfish. They say people that jump to the conclusion that it's a disease and start treating the fish, usually lose it.

Thanks for your thoughts. The fish that died definately had a fungus. The other two, one that has gone completley white, and the other that is patchy (and looks rather fetching) are not acting strange. I did read that fish can change colour due to water temperature, condition or just part of maturing. Much of this you suggest in your reply Alpha1.

I have to say the the water tempurature does vary quite a lot in my pond due my location. It'll be interesting to see if there are any further changes now we are heading for Autumn.

Chris

A quick update. All my fish are fine and there has not been a return of the fungus that affected one of them. No other fish, so far, have turned or started to turn white apart from the one mentioned before. He/She has stayed a rather nice white and orange.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    A quick update. All my fish are fine and there has not been a return of the fungus that affected one of them. No other fish, so far, have turned or started to turn white apart from the one mentioned before. He/She has stayed a rather nice white and orange.

Chris
    Thanks for the update Chris, glad to hear your fish are keeping their color and healthy!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.