If anyone would like to help me choose my next dog

If anyone would like to help me choose my next dog

So I've decided that I want a LGD with plenty of drive, and shorthair. Was considering a Caucasian shepherd (AKA Caucasian ovcharka) at first, but they have very long hair. Now left with 2 options: Kangal, or central Asian shepherd (AKA CAO AKA central Asian ovcharka).

So the Kangal would come from a shepherd located in Turkey, here are some of his dogs (1st one has sired pups):

The Central Asian shepherd would come from the first dog, all from the same breeder. Romanian working dogs:

Drive of a 7 month old pup:

http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...26071734_n.mp4

So what do you guys think?

My recommendation is to go to a local animal shelter and let the dog choose you. Maybe you can even bring your other dog along to help your selection.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Ain't no LGD like these in any shelter.

Do you have a herd of animals that you need guarded?
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Nice dogs, I'm not personally familiar with either breed, are they common in your area? Looks like they'd both need lots of land for exercise and would probably be very nice family dogs if well socialized. Are they known to have aggressive dispositions, or can they be friendly and safe around other pets (cats and dogs) and children? I have the same question as Furballs&dogbones, are you getting one for particular work, or just as a companion pet?

Nah lol, just a companion & guard dog. Don't have any cattle or sheep. They can live with any other animal provided it's introduced properly, especially the ones they grow up with. Other large male dogs can present a problem tho if they challenge these dogs, both breeds are very unlikely to back off.

Mr.Pony better mind his Ps and Qs. Where I live I wouldn't want a dog who would be so dominant that's I'd have to worry about neighbors dogs, dogs at the park or visitors. Maybe if I lived on a large property away from people I would consider a dog like that. Anyway, looks like either would be a good choice, interested to see which one you go with. Will it be male or female?

Its going to be your dog so it has to be your decision. In these pictures these dogs look aggressive, that in itself is not a bad thing, just keep in mind the liability and potential law suits if it attacks someone or another pet. My shepherd can be aggressive, she has to be watched constantly and NEVER allowed to run loose. You always have to assume your dog will bite and take the necessary precautions associated with owning such a breed.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

@Alpha a male. Yeah either one would be a handful, but they're great guard dogs, and they're 1 person dogs which is what I'm looking for. Also worth mentioning, they average at about 170 lb which is great since I love large dogs. Spent years contacting shepherds and breeders from all sorts of countries before I found like 2 or 3 breeds that can exceed 150 lb without being riddled with health issues and about as slow as a turtle. Both can move with surprising agility for such huge dogs

Linda I'm aware of the responsibility, the dogs you see are trying to attack people harassing them on their own territory. Outside in a mall or walking on the street, my friends who have been breeding and keeping these dogs for years haven't had any problems that I know of. Of course, someone running past them might provoke them, and a male dog challenging them can get in trouble, but I always keep my dogs on leash unless I'm walking them in the woods where no people/pets are likely to be around. A reactive GSD can mean trouble, but these dogs are about 2.5 times bigger, not planning in taking this lightly at all

a bite happens quickly, you may not have time to react, just warning you to always be prepared
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post
    @Alpha a male. Yeah either one would be a handful, but they're great guard dogs, and they're 1 person dogs which is what I'm looking for. Also worth mentioning, they average at about 170 lb which is great since I love large dogs. Spent years contacting shepherds and breeders from all sorts of countries before I found like 2 or 3 breeds that can exceed 150 lb without being riddled with health issues and about as slow as a turtle. Both can move with surprising agility for such huge dogs

Linda I'm aware of the responsibility, the dogs you see are trying to attack people harassing them on their own territory. Outside in a mall or walking on the street, my friends who have been breeding and keeping these dogs for years haven't had any problems that I know of. Of course, someone running past them might provoke them, and a male dog challenging them can get in trouble, but I always keep my dogs on leash unless I'm walking them in the woods where no people/pets are likely to be around. A reactive GSD can mean trouble, but these dogs are about 2.5 times bigger, not planning in taking this lightly at all
    I agree that either sex would be a handful TKO, the females are smaller but many can be more aggressive/assertive than the males for sure. That's a BIG dog! I'm surprised they don't have issues like hip dysplasia or other joint problems. I bet they eat a lot every day too! Glad you're responsible with leashing them and watching for other people and dogs. Post a picture if you can when you get him, curious to see him.

You'd be surprised how healthy and functional they are for their size, this one is much bigger than I like LGDs to be but amazing mobility for a 235 lb dog (ignore the poor sentence structure)

Here you can see it running alongside a car

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b103n3vi45...624_n.mp4?dl=0

Yea, because you want to make sure your dogs and you get along!

Excellent photos!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.