Anal Gland Disease

Anal Gland Disease

Hi! I am new to the Pet Forums and I need some advice! and I hate to start off discussing anal glands but I must LOL! I have a mixed female rescue who has to have her anal glands expressed every two weeks. One of my friends suggested anal gland removal however I do not know much about it and need some advice and to hear some stories of people who have had their pets anal glands removed. She has a lot of discomfort and pain when her anal glands get full so we take her every two weeks so she is not in any discomfort. Any advice is welcomed!! Thank you!

I don't think they should be removed, but maybe changes in diet can help the situation. Such frequent expression of the anal glands is not the way to go, in my opinion. If I come across any useful information for you, I'll post it here. An old thread on the subject you may want to read in the meantime. http://www.petforums.com/showthread....ht=anal+glands

Welcome to the forum!

Something you should do right away is buy some carrots (preferably organic), cut them into small pieces and feed them to the dog everyday, depending on the size of the dog, the amount can be from 1/8 cup to 1/2 cup. My dogs always liked eating small pieces of raw carrot, but it can be mixed in canned food too. The carrot helps the dog's anal gland to stay healthy and do as nature intended, express themselves slowly and regularly. I really believe that diet will definitely help resolve the issue....good luck.

Thank you for replying to me I really appreciate it!. Every since this problem started we have had her on a high fiber diet to help boost her stools for natural expression however it does not help. We have had an emergency vet tells us that her anal glands sit in unusual position and he felt they would never express naturally but didn't recommend removal but he was only an emergency vet. I have spoken to other vets that didn't recommend removal either however this one did, so that's why I was looking for someone who has had their dogs removed to get another perspective.

Have you tried adding more bone to her food. You can buy bone meal at a pet food store, just make sure its for pets as they also make one for plants. Its going to be a trial and error thing, to much will make the stool runny, not enough and she'll have a harder stool which may help keeping the anal glands clean. By the way a vet can show you how to express the glands yourself. A bit messy and stinky but it will save you on trips to the vet
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

wattery food is not the answer, that will only make the stools more runny and not affect the anal glands. The dog needs more bone in his diet, that will make the stools harder and harder to push out causing the anal glands to clean themselves out with pushing the stool out which is the goal
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.