Help for cats during the hot summer weather

Help for cats during the hot summer weather

Yesterday my Fluff Daddy was panting and breathing a bit heavy. I gave him canned cat food with water and put him in front of a fan to cool off. We don't have central air and it's been hazy, hot & humid. He was fine after that but it really scared me as he has so much fur.
    Here are some tips from this website: https://www.petcha.com/7-signs-of-cat-overheating/
    Protect your cat from coming down with heatstroke or heat exhaustion with these tips from veterinary experts:
    Keep the cat indoors in a cool interior room. Rub the cat with a damp towel. Immerse the cats feet in a tub of cool water. Make sure the cat has bowls of cool water available. It helps to drop an ice cube in occasionally to cool the water. Wrap a cold compress under the cats neck to help cool it off. Try using an eyedropper or syringe to hydrate the cat if it refuses to drink water. Do not shoot the water down its throat, as it can cause choking. Place a drop or two at a time in the corner of its mouth to help hydrate the cat.

“Save a life and save a stray”

I keep my ac set at 60 so its always nice and cool in here, I'm comfortable but at times the bengal will crawl under a blanket, him being a jungle cat doesn't seem to mind the heat. At times he will even go in his window box and lay in the sun. Phoenix only goes out to piddle then I make her come back in, she has to much hair to be out in the heat, but on nice days when it isn't to hot or humid I do let her go in her kennel to lay in the grass. I have fountains for fresh water at all times available also.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

That’s funny about Orri…he’s quite the jungle cat. I can just imagine how furry Phoenix is…yipes! I do have water bowls in many rooms throughout the house. When it’s hot I’ll change them several times/day and also add some ice cubes to try to keep the water cool. Plus I’ll add water to their dry or canned food

Glad to hear Fluff Daddy was okay Esme, good advice you shared here too. The only room that I have air conditioning in is my bedroom, small one in the window. During summer my cat never hangs out in the bedroom at all, doesn't even sleep with me at night like he does in winter. Luckily we have some shade from trees in front of the house, so it keeps it cool, always cooler than outside for sure.

Me too Alpha. If I'm hot I can't imagine how walking around with a full fur coat feels! We put an air conditioner in a room they like to spend time in but some of the cats were afraid of the noise. I know they will go where they are comfortable but sometimes I have to intervene and move them to a cooler spot. Sometimes they'll stay where I relocate them, sometimes not. Go figure

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.