Hello PF. We boarding/adopting a Bichon Frise. He fears everything. Columbus, GA

Hello PF. We boarding/adopting a Bichon Frise. He fears everything. Columbus, GA

Hi.

We are in the process of adopting Jasper, a 1 year old Bichon.

We live in Columbus, GA.

This dog may have lived his life in a crate.

I thought he was going blind, but now maybe I am thinking there is just so much he has never seen.

Nice to be here.

Charles

Welcome to the forum. I had a rescue shepherd that was a rescue, she was afraid of everything also, she had lived in a crate for 18 months before I got her. But with time and patience she came around as I'm sure your's will too. Just take things slow so you don't overwhelm him and in no time he'll have forgotten his past and adjusted to his new life.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Welcome Charles, very kind of you to adopt Jasper and give him a good life.

WELCOME!! It is lovely that you're adopting Jasper. Thank goodness you are saving him as living in a crate is a horrible life. Patience and much love will be the key but he will be in good hands with you! Please keep us posted and we are here to help with any issues that come up.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Thanks. I will have questions. He finally pooped outside today. First time since he's been here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by booklikeabook View Post
    Thanks. I will have questions. He finally pooped outside today. First time since he's been here.
    Good to hear, sounds like a simple thing but it means he's feeling relaxed and good about his new home.

Maybe he didn't know that outdoors is for pottie.

Still skittish. He pooped this morning again...hooray!

Any solid suggestions on high value treats to keep this trend going?

I make my own treats and all dogs love them I use boneless chicken breast. If you are interested I can tell you how I do it
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

That is great news and to us pet people that's a major accomplishment! Sorry I don't have any suggestions on treats besides Blue Buffalo.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I got him some meatball dog things. I am not sure how he will like them. Doubtful he will accept the meatball following elimination, since he so stressed by everything.

Orijen sells expensive freeze dried treats for dogs and cats that my guys love. When I was training my dog to walk on sidewalks and stop at curbs, I used fresh liver. I bought good quality thin sliced cleaned beef liver, baked it in the oven plain, cut it into tiny squares, laid it flat on a large plate in the refrigerator and let it dry out a bit for handling. My dog is not food driven at all, but he loved it.

Another thing is to get a natural nitrate/nitrite-free BEEF frankfurter, like Coleman's brand, and cut them up into tiny slices. Small pieces of American cheese are good too, but they tend to melt in your pocket and become hard to handle.

Recently bought a different freeze dried lamb treat that dog and cat really like, Sojos brand "Simply Lamb".

Thank you for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.