Trying again! Old dog, new tricks!

Trying again! Old dog, new tricks!

Trying to post again! For some reason my first post is blank. I went to the trouble of typing out my story and when I came back a few
    minutes later it was blank! So here it is... AGAIN!

I inherited a 5 year old male dachshund. The only training he has had was that he always slept in his crate. His previous owner died and this is how I
    came to adopt him. He rarely left the home of the previous owner so he has zero leash training, or manners at all. He acts like a mad dog when people enter

the home and howls and barks the entire time he is home alone. I am sure he is grieving and the constant attention form my kids can't be helping.

I read that a good place to start here is by not giving him constant attention. So this is where I began today. However, I feel guilty going about my business
    while ignoring him. How much should do this? How often should I reach down to scratch behind his ears or speak to him? I don't want to over do it but I also don't want to neglect him entirely.

I began training him to go to his crate and stay until called out also today, and that seems to be going very well so far. I need to leash train him but is it too much at once? Or is it fine to hit all these training areas at once? Opinions and advice are appreciated! Thanks! Also, money is an option. I cannot afford to pay a trainer at this time.

ok, he has a big adjustment to make, his original owner was the only one he knew so all this is different for him. Give him attention when he comes to you, don't force yourself on him, let him come to you when he's ready.

One thing at a time and keep the lessons short like 10+15 maybe three times a day. He will get bored and loose interest in what you are trying to teach him if you make the training sessions to long.

first start with leash training assuming he is housebroken, if not then housebreaking is the first thing. I'll assume he's housebroken so we'll go to the leash training. Attach the leash to his collar and let him walk around dragging it without you on the other end of the leash, once he gets used to the feel of the leash behind him pick up the leash and call him to you and take him out, if he pulls and he probably will let him go to the end of the leash and just stop and turn around, when he comes to the end of the leash it will jerk him back, call him to you and praise him and start over. You may have to repeat this more than once but be persistent, when he gets tired of the leash tightening and jerking him back he'll stop.

Once he masters that come back and we'll walk you through the next training lesson. You've got five years of no training to undo, its going to take time but it can be done, hang in there
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    ok, he has a big adjustment to make, his original owner was the only one he knew so all this is different for him. Give him attention when he comes to you, don't force yourself on him, let him come to you when he's ready.

One thing at a time and keep the lessons short like 10+15 maybe three times a day. He will get bored and loose interest in what you are trying to teach him if you make the training sessions to long.

first start with leash training assuming he is housebroken, if not then housebreaking is the first thing. I'll assume he's housebroken so we'll go to the leash training. Attach the leash to his collar and let him walk around dragging it without you on the other end of the leash, once he gets used to the feel of the leash behind him pick up the leash and call him to you and take him out, if he pulls and he probably will let him go to the end of the leash and just stop and turn around, when he comes to the end of the leash it will jerk him back, call him to you and praise him and start over. You may have to repeat this more than once but be persistent, when he gets tired of the leash tightening and jerking him back he'll stop.

Once he masters that come back and we'll walk you through the next training lesson. You've got five years of no training to undo, its going to take time but it can be done, hang in there
    Thanks for the reply!
    I don't force myself but my kids sure do. I had a big talk with them yesterday and and am now actively reinforcing this with them.

He is housebroken thankfully. We have taken him out on the leash quite a bit but man, he is wild on the leash. Circling ankles and pulling etc... He was actually just a little better this morning about the pulling. I am going to start with your advice on the leash. That seems to be the best place to begin. I assume all other leash training will be hard to do until that is mastered.

My other issue is getting him to sit still in order to get the leash on him to start with. He turns circles and dances around in his excitement. It makes it real difficult to get that collar on him, and even more difficult for the harness. I am thinking sit/stay may be what I need to help him with in that?

Again, thank you so much for your advice! I will come back with the results. (Soon I hope!)

sit command

get on your dog's level or sit in a chair, hold a treat close to his nose. say sit and move your hand upward, as his head goes up to follow the treat his rear will go down, once his butt is on the floor give him the treat and praise. Do this multiple times a day until he associates the word sit with sitting. For training you can buy some liver, bake it in the oven then cut it in small pieces for a treat. Liver is good for them and most dogs love it so it makes a good training treat.

Once you've mastered sit then do the stay

Put him in a sit, you stand in front of him, kind of wave you hand across his face and say stay, take a couple of steps backward, if he moves put him back in his original sit and try again, lengthen the space between you and keep putting him back in place and say sit. stau until he understands stay, use a release work like ok then call him to you. when he gets it right a treat and praise, when he moves start over.

for now if he starts jumping and moving around so you can't get the leash on him just ignore him, just sit there and when he calms down try again, if again he gets hyper ignore him. He will settle down then you can praise him and take him out, he will learn that being obnoxious doesn't get him what he wants which is to go out. When he quiets down then he can go for his walk.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Such helpful advice! Thank you! I will do these things.

Thanks also for the liver tip. That sounds so much healthier too than a store bought treat. I really appreciate all of this excellent help. I am about as ignorant as one can be about the whole training process so every bit of your advice is a huge help.

NixieKnox, I like your name. :- ) A fun and satisfying combo of letters and sounds.

I've had gerrman shepherds for well over 40 years, so been there done that. You and your dog will learn by experience. Just like anything else training has to be learned and we all have to start someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    NixieKnox, I like your name. :- ) A fun and satisfying combo of letters and sounds.
    Thanks! I got it from a DR. Seuss book!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.