New pup at home, currently teething. Snack/chew suggestions?

Question New pup at home, currently teething. Snack/chew suggestions?

Hi everyone, second post here.
    My boyfriend and I have recently brought home a 3 month old black lab mix that we picked out at an adoption event. She was the chillest dog in her pen and didn't really want much to do with being there, more content with just hanging out in the back.

We found out they had just all been fixed the day before the event, so our little Onyx actually slept most of Saturday after being brought home, and even in the cart as we picked up her things. Now that it's been a few days and all the drugs have worn off, she's not really a handful, but she is teething like crazy, and the pain is making her do crazy things.

She's been able to sleep through a bit of it, but when she's awake she's always looking to chew or to mouth at someone (she is corrected every time either by a sharp no or a yelp and the limb is taken away, as is complete attention if the behavior continues).

So far she's learned "leave it" and will immediately back off of things she shouldn't chew, but then she'll get spaztic and jump around. And we have wood floors so with her still-developing motor functions she tends to fall or slide around the floor, which sometimes makes the spazzing worse. She has a few toys located in her bed and she knows she's allowed to chew what's in her bed, or what's in her kennel as we are training her to sleep in her "den" at night. I'm also trying to hold her in place when she spazes and using a calm voice to get her to calm down again.

At Walmart today I tried to see if there were any chewing items she could use, but most things (like the pig ears or thick twisted sticks) didn't specify adult or puppy. There were a few packages with puppies on the front, but again, the back would not specify if it was good for puppies and the internet provided no answers.

I'm running on very little sleep as she's a full-time thing for me and so I just bypassed those chews and picked up a tube of Snausages since I know they're soft enough for her baby teeth and would provide a little resistance for her jaws. However, the Snausage package said no more than 3 a week according to her weight, so I'm looking for any tips to ease her pain. She has some toys that she's been gnawing on and loves. He favorite is a bear that has a rope skeleton, and she even picked out her own rope toy last time we were at Petsmart. I read that ice cubes would help, but if that didn't work to freeze some chicken stock (so I have some ice trays freezing right now).

Is there anything else I can do to help ease her discomfort and keep her calm? Behavior-wise she's been wonderful, but her pain is making her a little more psycho than I'd like, and it's distracting her while I'm trying to train her the basics (sit/stay/down). We have our first vet visit on Monday to also get her stitches out.

P.S. She is NOT my first puppy! I did raise a Jack Russell before, so I'm well aware of crazy pooches haha! My jackie was just the same as a pup though, the runt and the castoff.

P.P.S. Sorry for the long post. I'm a writer and don't know how to keep things short!

wet a face cloth and freeze it then give it to her, this will sooth her gums. Also I suggest getting her an antler, get one with points on it so she doesn't choke, they are very hard and she won't be able to chew through it and can chew to her heart's content. My pups loved antlers, they last a very long time and when she starts to chew something redirect her and give her the antler.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you so much for the speedy reply! Is there a specific brand I can pick up for her, or a specific place I should go? She's napping in her kennel right now, so I'll try to get a cloth ready for her when she wakes up.

he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

sanusages are total junk, all chemicals and the chicken stock would have to much salt. I make my own treats using boneless chicken breast, if you are interested I can show you how to make them. All dogs go crazy over these treats You can also buy some liver, bake it in the oven then cut it in small pieces. And that's organ meat so its good for her

That would be great, thank you!

buy bonelses chicken breast, cut into strips as long as you want but not more than a half inch thick, remove skin, put in a food dehydrator, set on high and when they no longer look shiny don't stick to the trays they are done. If you don't have a dehydrator you can put them on a cookie sheet, set oven to 180. for several hours. 6 pounds will yield 1 pounds of treats.

I don't know exactly how long in the oven as I use a dehydrator

I'd have to use the oven, but luckily we always have boneless and skinless chicken breasts in the freezer.
    On Petsmart's website they have a brand called Dentley's and they have elk and deer antlers. What are your thoughts on this brand or should I just order off Amazon?

probably the same product just a different company. Just make sure they are either deer or elk, don't get any synthetic thing. I like amazon but its up to you

I've just been reading through reviews and most of the online orders have come back with too small sizes, and if this is going to aid her for the next few months I want to make sure it will be able to grow with her.

they come in all sizes, get a bigger one. http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-toys/antler-chews.html

go into your search bar and type in antlers for dogs. Plenty out there to choose from preferably a branched one. go with a large which is about 10 inches long

I've used rolled rawhide chews for my dogs for decades, still have some bags I bought years ago from Costco, don't know if they still sell them. I always used the 10 inch size regardless of dog's age. They're good for teeth and gums and last a long time, I still use them now for my young dog, although he's no longer teething, he likes to chew on them. https://www.amazon.com/Cadet-10-Retr.../dp/B0006J32A0

As with all rawhide chews, you have to supervise the puppy or dog and make sure they're not biting off large pieces and swallowing them, I often just toss the chew before it gets too small and worn, just to be on the safe side. If you're going to leave the dog alone in the house for hours, you have to take up the rawhide and give it again when you're home.

I also trained my pups with small knotted rawhide bones, not to get too mouthy and chew or bite on my hands, arms, etc. My husband and I would keep one a small knotted chew in our pocket at home, immediately when the puppy went to bite on our hands, fingers, etc., we'd say "NO....you chew on this", then put the chew in the pup's mouth. When the pup lost interest, it went back into our pocket for the next lesson. Before long they didn't mouth on people anymore. Always take up the rawhide bones around puppies unless you're watching them, they shouldn't be left unattended with them.

I've used this method for a long time and never had a bad incident. My dogs always had very healthy teeth and gums well into their old age. Several times a year my husband will scale the tartar off of their teeth at home also, never had to put any of our dogs under anesthesia for vet teeth cleanings, don't want to ever have to take the chances of doing that, just the anesthesia is dangerous if not given properly.

check out these reviews here, they sell all sizes and shapes and are about $5 each This place got all five star reviews, check it out

http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-toys/antler-chews.html

Thanks for all the suggestions. A friend went with me and we brought Onyx to the store. We picked out a good antler sliced down the middle so she'll be able to access the marrow inside. Literally, the listed ingredients said antler and nothing else lol. She's been chewing it every so often, so it's a great substitute for her when she needs a chew harder than her rope toys! She made a few friends while at the store too, which helped out with her socializing and public behavior. She will not be allowed to chew it while in her den at night, but I do allow her to sleep with a pillow she's in love with recently. It's one thing she won't chew, just snuggle with.

20229674_10214008362906806_8060119948501535677_o.jpg

My baby is an Autobot, so proud. <3

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.