First Visit to My Home by Another Dog

First Visit to My Home by Another Dog

Yesterday was the first time we ever had another dog come over to our house. A couple of old friends dropped by with their recently adopted Cattle Dog mix, he was a sweet dog and very well behaved. He got along fine with my dog but he was dominant, which wasn't a surprise since my dog is much younger and not assertive or dominant himself.

We threw the ball in the yard for the two of them, and the cattle dog was focused, a real fetcher, so he got it all the time. Even when we gently tried to throw it to my dog, he was too timid and let the other dog get it. I have no problem with it, he was a nice dog and not aggressive at all.

When he had the ball he would raise his lips when my dog went near it, so my dog stayed put and just observed. In the house we had a large rolled rawhide which the dog dominated also, and chewed it way down, would not let my dog near it.

Although my dog interacts with other dogs at the park, and many of those are assertive and dominant, it was a good lesson at home for him. He accepted his standing as the more submissive one and the visit stayed friendly without incident. After the visit I washed off my dog's ball because it was covered in saliva, dirt and grass...and gave him a fresh new rawhide roll.

My cat stayed in the basement for most of the visit, and came upstairs and sneaked by when the dog was in the yard, and ended up spending some time under our bed. But he hasn't been exposed to many people and he always is wary when we have company.

Phoenix has always been really good with other dogs, but I don't know how she'd be if one came in the house. She has a black lab friend that comes calling once in a while and they run and play good together. never seen any aggression in her with any animal, she will chase a squirrel but can't catch it and wouldn't know what to do with it if she did.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I know you have to be careful with Phoenix, but Bigfoot is so mellow and friendly I didn't worry at all letting that dog in the house right away. I never met the dog before either, but they said he was friendly and I trust their word. Now my dogs past and present have all killed squirrels, Bigfoot killed this one and got a vole too one day.

My past dogs Hans and the puppy Sigilwig.

he is part poodle and they are hunting dogs. They aren't as dainty as they look.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I know, he's not dainty at all when it comes to the outdoors, he also has some Labrador and Water Spaniel in him, so he enjoys being out in nature. I'm glad, because we didn't really want a wimpy dog that couldn't handle hikes in the woods, etc.

That's great to hear Alpha...Bigfoot is such a good boy My cats don't like company either so they hide too.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.