Toys in the water bowl

Question Toys in the water bowl

Why do some cats put toys in the food and water bowls, or take them to the feeding station? Daisy did this with catnip mice, but for some reason always put them in the water bowl even if the other bowl was empty. And it was only with fabric mice: she never even put rabbit fur mice near the bowls. Since throwing all three mice away because of water damage I have not ordered replacements.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

I think they just like to stash their toys (or prey) somewhere. My cat always just hid his mice under a throw rug or somewhere like that. Wild cats are said to cache their prey in their 'nests', or feeding area when they feel it's safe and they're comfortable.

Does Daisy then go after the mouse in the bowl and take it out to play with it again? I imagine that would be a bother to have to keep on replacing the toys, but cats....ya gotta love them and their mysterious ways.

LOL Yes Daisy often took it out of the bowl. She also pushed it around the bowls, which inspired me to buy a Turbo Scratcher.

How does she like the Turbo Scratcher?

She loves it! For months she only cared about the ball. Then the magical powers of catnip were sprinkles on the cardboard and she mostly stopped using the seagrass scratching post. Sometimes I have to get her started but it is definitely a keeper.

That's great CatMom, I never used one of those and never used catnip on my cats either.

Update: Daisy put a cough drop wrapper in her water bowl.

I find toys in water bowls all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by catsandcorals View Post
    I find toys in water bowls all the time.
    LOL Like balls or mice? Who does it?

Emily, my first cat, tipped the trash can over to dig out rubber bands from the newspaper. Nearly 100 percent of them ended up in the food bowl.

Any kind of toy. Even a very long piece of sewing elastic which the cats stole from my sewing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by catsandcorals View Post
    Any kind of toy. Even a very long piece of sewing elastic which the cats stole from my sewing stuff.
    Uh oh, be careful about that. Emily found a needle on the floor once and thought it was a toy. She had to go under anesthesia to have it removed from her throat and take amoxicillin after that.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Uh oh, be careful about that. Emily found a needle on the floor once and thought it was a toy. She had to go under anesthesia to have it removed from her throat and take amoxicillin after that.
    They can't get into the sewing stuff, except when I'm actually using it. I had the piece of elastic out to use for something, and one of the cats took it. I didn't want to use it after it was in a cat's mouth, so I let the cats keep it (one drags, the other chases). It is too wide and long for them to swallow. I try to be careful of thread, because in the past I have found long pieces of thread in the litter box due to being swallowed.

Here's a new one: aluminum foil. My mom suggested crumpling up a little bit, which I did 20 years ago with Emily and Patricia. Not surprisingly, after playing hockey and carrying it in her mouth she went to her water bowl and dropped the toil in. I went through three toil balls in a few hours because of this. Silly girl.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.