Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

old blind cat can't use litter box

You have some good points with this and it sounds like it wouldn't really work too well for Eek. I wish I had a solution for you but I don't right now but if I find anything that can help you I will let you know. Eek is very, very lucky to have someone like you and I'm sure the feeling is mutual.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Thanks.

Came home to almost a repeat. At least there was nothing stuck between his toes this time.

Although Eek was losing his sight gradually (in the eye that wasn't blind since he was a kitten), we don't know what happened that it become complete when it did. There is no evidence of an underlying medical problem. When he was depressed and not eating, he started a nervous scratching of his temples, scratching to the point of bleeding and bald spots. I ended up making him hoods out of socks, but he still tried to scratch himself. I was terrified he would end up with a bad infection. Then one day he just stopped trying. That was when he started acting strangely, standing facing the walls, crouching while walking, acting confused, going potty just anywhere. I wonder sometimes if he scratched his eye, but I never saw a sign of injury in it. I am pretty sure being blind is what stopped the scratching, so in this situation, that is the proverbial small blessing that comes with all things. Unfortunately for Eek's orientation to his environment, I had moved a couple of months before the blindness became total. I think if I had not moved, he would be having an easier time and would not have acted quite as confused.

I am hoping that he will be able to get used to not being able to see. He responds better to me than he did initially, and is following sounds better than he did initially. I wonder if using motion activated sound devices would help him navigate, though I probably couldn't afford such things.

as long as you don't move things around he'll "learn" the layout and get around quite well. Just don't make any changes, move furniture ect. and he'll find his way around. Also put rubber bumpers on things like end tables or things with hard edges so he can't hurt himself if he bumps into them.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Last name night I saw a post on the dog board about a Halo thing for blind dogs. I'm wondering if there is something like that which would work for a cat's body. He has bumped his head at times.

I discovered that there is such a thing as washable potty pads. I also saw that a lot of people make their own, so I am thinking about making or buying some (depending on expense and time). The cost of the disposable pads has me in the poor house and amounts to literally throwing away money, to the point that I cut out pee spots instead of throwing away whole pads. Most brands allow the spots to spread out, but one of the Hartz brand styles (they have 3 or 4 types) are thicker, heavier, and keep a smaller spot, so that is what I usually use, and those still do well even with holes in them (I take pieces of ones already cut small and patch the holes from underneath). I would much rather soak and wash than cut out pee spots and spend so much money just to throw it in the trash.

They show it being used for cats, don't know how comfortable it would be. I would talk to someone there and get the details on size, etc.

Thank you so much for posting the video. That looks like the same as a dog model I saw, which is not appropriate for a cat's body. I will have to research more. Maybe I could make something after I am more sure of the structural needs for a cat.

Had a very rough morning cleanup wise, and I lost 2 hours of sleep waking up to it (yes, I think I can smell it in my sleep; stomped poo is far stronger than non-stomped). He is all fluffy and clean now though, and doesn't smell like poop.

I think his sniffer does not work very well. I have always believed this to an extent, but now I am sure of it. I think even blind, a cat should be able to easily find a bowl of food, and would not lay in a spot of urine or poop due to the smell. He never even tried to smell anything like other cats, and it was about the same when he could see. I think now he is relying on only sound and the declining cognitive and memory abilities of an aging cat.

Sorry to hear you had another major clean up, you're very loving to make things good again for him, I'm sure he's confused and sad about all this and doesn't want any of it to happen.

I feel so bad for Eek and you. It's a difficult aging so ungracefully but you're a good caregiver and he loves you for it. Hang in there my friend

Thank you. The support I have gotten here really is making me feel less frustrated, so I am forever grateful.

I bought one re-usable large pad to try out. If it goes ok, I will buy more and only use disposables at certain time. This morning's cleanup was so much easier, I just had the one big pad to pick up, and tossed it in the washer set for half hour pre-soak and a post second rinse. I used strictly cloth diapers when my son was a baby, so I think I am ok doing this for the cat. If it works out, I will save a lot of money after initial cost. The one pad I got is about 2ft x 3ft and was $10 at the grocery store. I would need at least 6 of them (use 3 at a time for the space cat is in, and have the second set for when others are in the wash). I think I can get a set of them on eBay which will be less expensive.

That sounds like a great idea and should work well...good thinking! I admire all you're doing for Eek. It's not easy but we do our best for our furry family. You just take a breather and come here to be among friends

Quote Originally Posted by catsandcorals View Post
    Thank you. The support I have gotten here really is making me feel less frustrated, so I am forever grateful.

I bought one re-usable large pad to try out. If it goes ok, I will buy more and only use disposables at certain time. This morning's cleanup was so much easier, I just had the one big pad to pick up, and tossed it in the washer set for half hour pre-soak and a post second rinse. I used strictly cloth diapers when my son was a baby, so I think I am ok doing this for the cat. If it works out, I will save a lot of money after initial cost. The one pad I got is about 2ft x 3ft and was $10 at the grocery store. I would need at least 6 of them (use 3 at a time for the space cat is in, and have the second set for when others are in the wash). I think I can get a set of them on eBay which will be less expensive.
    Glad you're finding ways to make it work and make things a little easier for you. I admire you for all your efforts, your Eek is grateful and feeling your love I'm sure.

I heard this banging that woke me up. I got up and discovered Eek in the litter box. I thought he was just freaking out from being stuck, but no, he was and still is having convulsions, for about 15 minutes. I called the 24hr animal hospital. They told me to take him to the vet as soon as I can, but that there is nothing they or I can do while the cat is convulsing (does that mean cats can't take benzodiazapines?).

I have never seen this happen before. I am wondering if it is a sign that it is time for me to let him go. If so, it is the second sign since last night. The first was that when he was in the living room with me before bed, when I went to get him to put him in his area, I had trouble waking him, and momentarily thought he was dead. I was relieved that he was alive, he seemed ok then. I went to bed. Woke up to this.

I just came out of the vet office. Eek was seizing for about an hour and a half. He was seizing even after they gave him the stuff that makes the animal sleep prior to the death injection, even though the vet said he probably wouldn't, so I was not able to hold him, only pet him one last time. I didn't think I was going to get all emotional, but I did and am really upset right now. Mostly I'm upset because he didn't know I was there. When the cats that had cancer were put down, I held them as they were sleeping before the final drug, and they were awake and aware of me holding them before they actually dozed off.

He was a good cat and a good friend. I will miss him very much.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry...hugs. I can't imagine how upsetting that was for you and disturbing for your kitty. I agree, it was time to say goodbye, I had a dog with epilepsy and a long seizure like that would surely kill them or give them permanent brain damage in my opinion. You must feel very sad not being able to have a peaceful goodbye, but you did everything the right way and acted quickly. May your little Eek rest peacefully now, he had a good loving home and nice life, so you should be comforted by that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.