Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

old blind cat can't use litter box

I am so very sorry to hear about your beloved Eek. It's such a shock and to have to watch him having seizures is rough. You took such good care of him...more than most people would and you have to remember that. I believe Eek knew you were there for him. Once again I'm very sorry for your loss. May Eek be able to see and enjoy the afterlife.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I'm sorry you lost your cat but on some level he probably knew you were with him. You gave him a long happy life and stayed with him to the end, have no regrets you did the best you could for him.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by catsandcorals View Post
    Had a very rough morning cleanup wise, and I lost 2 hours of sleep waking up to it (yes, I think I can smell it in my sleep; stomped poo is far stronger than non-stomped). He is all fluffy and clean now though, and doesn't smell like poop.

I think his sniffer does not work very well. I have always believed this to an extent, but now I am sure of it. I think even blind, a cat should be able to easily find a bowl of food, and would not lay in a spot of urine or poop due to the smell. He never even tried to smell anything like other cats, and it was about the same when he could see. I think now he is relying on only sound and the declining cognitive and memory abilities of an aging cat.
    Look for toys that make sounds. There are lots of toys that crinkle, jingle, rattle, squeak, or chirp. Make sure there are no loose jingle bells the cat can bite off. Food can be a reward for playing with them when you feed your kitty scheduled meals. For litterbox use, put down a boy that makes noises on contact to help him remember where it is. Try them out in a different room first to make sure he does not scare himself away from the litterbox.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

CatMom, please read posts #28 and #29, Eek has passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    CatMom, please read posts #28 and #29, Eek has passed away.
    I am so sorry I missed that. It was an honest mistake on my part.

Corals, always remember you were a very good, loving caretaker and did the best you could for Eek. I know it is very hard to see a furry friend pass away. Been there, done that. There is no good time for this to happen, but the time you had with Eek should be cherished forever.

Thank you folks for the condolences and kind words.

I wish my last image wasn't of him in convulsions. I need to look at some old pictures of him to get it out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by catsandcorals View Post
    Thank you folks for the condolences and kind words.

I wish my last image wasn't of him in convulsions. I need to look at some old pictures of him to get it out of my head.
    I totally understand that. Fortunately it does not take long to start laughing and smiling at those old pictures.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.