Objects cats turn into toys

Post Objects cats turn into toys

I think every indoor cat does this. Something you own or product packaging looks like a toy to your cat. I had a cat who thought bite-sized chocolate candies were toys (of course I didn't let her lick any). Another cat thought newspaper inserts were tunnels, put rubber bands in the food bowl after digging them out of the trash, and had the common love for boxes. Then I had a cat who loved my shoelaces. Daisy did the same thing before I bought a wand/feather toy called Da Bird. Unfortunately she also has played with cough drops and jigsaw puzzle pieces. What household items do your cats play with?
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Mine likes to steal pens and pencils from the kitchen table and the computer desk. I've caught him many times with one in his mouth making his getaway. He always makes me smile when he tries to act bad. I also had those erasers that you buy in a bag and put on the end of pencils, so he likes taking them off and batting them around.

I usually find his "toys" under the stove, fridge, wall unit, etc. He also goes after plastic bottle caps if I'm not careful. My husband was using earplugs for sleep for awhile and he'd keep them in his end table draw in the bedroom, if he didn't close the draw all the way, Loki would jump up and get his paws into the draw and steal the ear plugs.

He also takes pieces of kibble sometimes out of my dog's bowl and bats them around. Whenever I'm walking and feel a lump under my throw rugs, I have to check and see what it is this time.

LOL Silly cats. It is always very cute when a kitty is walking around with something in its mouth. Daisy also pushes her bowls around on the floor.

This is him, it is a toy, but he's carrying it as a kitten, has knocked over the waste basket, and about to proceed to try and hide it there. He used to also steal q-tips out of the bathroom trash, luckily he outgrew that.

That is cute - and so is the cat, of course.

Daisy saw my pocket pill container while I was putting stuff in my travel backpack and thought it is a hockey puck.

Daisy got another idea: sandals! Mom wears sandals all the time at home except to sleep and shower. Even outside the condo she often wears sandals. Not surprisingly, Daisy likes them.I saw her use one as a pillow, then play with it for a few minutes, after seemingly trying to take a nap between the shoes. Super cute! This is the same cat who likes my shoelaces. I am starting to wonder why there are not many leather cat toys.

Bengal steals my car keys or my watch. I used to just put them on the desk until he started hiding them, now I put them in my jewelry box with the door closed. The siamese likes bags, come in the house with any kind of bag and she lays in it. They both like boxes, the toys are ignored in favor of the box or a bag. And if the printer is printing he tries to pull the paper out as it comes out of the printer, he'll kind of twist himself around so he can watch it print and try to grab it out
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

You all have cracked me up!! Some of mine (Daisy and Toby) like to pull the tissues out of the box and run around the house with said tissue between their teeth. It's funny to watch but then I have to go grab it off them so they don't eat it. I still keep tissue boxes out but have learned to keep the top tissue tucked in.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

You crack me up too Esme! I love seeing cats carry toys in their mouths - my Daisy used to carry mice and Da Bird attachments.

Now that she is knocking weird stuff onto the floor, I finally decided to give her a medication bottle cap (the kind that is not childproof). For some reason she did not care about them.
    Last edited by CatMom1994; 08-27-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: update

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.