Feline Social Behaviour Survey

Red face Feline Social Behaviour Survey

Hey everyone,

I am currently studying Applied Zoology at university (in my 3rd year) and I am now able to begin my dissertation! I will be studying what factors may influence social behaviours and interactions between domestic cats and their human companions in a multi-cat and singular cat household.

This is my first time sharing this survey so if you have any feedback, issues or questions feel free to contact me about it. The survey has been tested in Google Chrome where it functions well, please let me know if you're having any issues with other browsers and I'll try and solve them.

If you do own cats, please may you fill in my survey?
    https://eSurv.org?u=socialcathuman

If you own multiple cats, please fill the survey in multiple times with each individual's details.

Thank-you, I look forward to hearing about your wonderful felines!

Just took the survey. The questions did seem a bit repetitive, but that's okay since I only have one presently.

Hey, thanks for your feedback and for your participation. I understand they may seem repetitive due to the similar style/layout of the questions. It's just so I can gather lots of information about all of the different behaviours and allow those who want to elaborate on the behaviours have an opportunity to do so. Thanks again for your feedback, it's appreciated.

I like the idea, but you have it backwards. The cats think they own us!
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Haha, that is very true!

Thumbs down

Here are my suggestions:

Change "rescue center" to animal shelter or humane society if that is what the term refers to. Nobody calls any type of organization a rescue center in the United States, so it is confusing.

On the age and "how long have you had your cat" tables, it is easier to read vertically like this:

1-2 7-8
    3-4 9-10
    5-6 11-12

That is how people read newspapers and magazines - one column at a time.

How often does my cat do this or that? I stopped there because the answers change over time. Kittens grow out of some behaviors, so what I would have selected in January (when Daisy was 6.5 months old) are not accurate today.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Here are my suggestions:

Change "rescue center" to animal shelter or humane society if that is what the term refers to. Nobody calls any type of organization a rescue center in the United States, so it is confusing.

On the age and "how long have you had your cat" tables, it is easier to read vertically like this:

1-2 7-8
    3-4 9-10
    5-6 11-12

That is how people read newspapers and magazines - one column at a time.

How often does my cat do this or that? I stopped there because the answers change over time. Kittens grow out of some behaviors, so what I would have selected in January (when Daisy was 6.5 months old) are not accurate today.
    Hi, thanks for your suggestions.

I am from the United Kingdom so I phrased it as a 'rescue centre' as that's what we call them over here. However, I will add animal shelter within that same option to save any confusion. The survey has been set so the options go in two columns, however there is no option to set the responses to go vertically as I do understand that is easier to read.
    I am also knowledgeable on the fact that behaviours do change and evolve as a cat ages. For example: younger cats tend to be more active and older cats less so. For my study, I am asking what behaviours do your cat(s) exhibit currently. At this moment in time, what behaviours does Daisy exhibit?

I hope this makes sense to you and I thank-you for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by floralfelidaes View Post
    Hi, thanks for your suggestions.

I am from the United Kingdom so I phrased it as a 'rescue centre' as that's what we call them over here. However, I will add animal shelter within that same option to save any confusion. The survey has been set so the options go in two columns, however there is no option to set the responses to go vertically as I do understand that is easier to read.
    I am also knowledgeable on the fact that behaviours do change and evolve as a cat ages. For example: younger cats tend to be more active and older cats less so. For my study, I am asking what behaviours do your cat(s) exhibit currently. At this moment in time, what behaviours does Daisy exhibit?

I hope this makes sense to you and I thank-you for your feedback.
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, it does make sense. I could tell you are British because some word spellings are different.

Daisy still walks on my lap and gives me leg massages, but not as frequently as she did a few months ago. One thing that will never change is licking me at almost every opportunity she gets!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.