Rescued cat do not get along with others

Rescued cat do not get along with others

Hi guys, im new here!

Just found this forum helpful, with the problems that im facing here in my house.

Recently i rescued a cat that was attacked by a dog with several bites almost dying, and i treated him for a month and now hes pretty good

I started trying to introduce him with the other cats ( a couple, one female and male) but is not working, and its being 3 months, and nothing works.
    I tried everything, even feliway, but both cats starts hissiling, growling and run away from him, and he is a kind crazy he goes after,and BAM, they end up figthing and fur flying all over the place.

he is outside in the backyard house, but when i bring him indoor this happens, sometimes when there are outside in the garden its all good, but when they came to my bedroom they end up fighting almost everytime.

I really dont know what to do anymore to put them together, i thought to call jackson galaxy but i dont know if he is willing to come to Brazil to met this little fella.

Any of you had this problems? Any tips to solve it?

They are all Spayed, they go to the vet frequently.

Welcome to the forum! We love rescue kitties.

First of all, what are their names and ages? How long have you had the other cats?
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Hi there !

Mingau ( 3 years - male )
    Chrie ( 2 years - female)

Nino ( the rescued - male ) the vet told me he might be around 3 years.
    we found him around May.

Hi Johnny! You're very kind for saving and helping that boy, good for you! When you say they get along okay outdoors in the yard, but in your bedroom there's a fight, I figure it must be either jealousy or territorial behavior, or a combination of the two.

I never had that problem before, but I think time and familiarity is needed before they can accept the new member of the family. After being attacked by the dog so badly, the new cat is probably fearful and suspicious that your two will hurt him again.

Is there any chance of you getting them all together and feeding them treats in the same room? Like, give Cherie a tiny piece of American cheese, then quickly give Mingau a tiny piece....all while talking calmly and praising them, then quickly give Nino a piece and calmly tell him good boy. That way they know that the new cat beings good things to their life, not just threat of invading their home and cozying up to their master.

The only thing I can think of is to get in a room with them all, get on the floor and be relaxed. Maybe read a book or watch TV. Then observe them, and before something negative is about to happen, anticipate it yourself and stop the offending cat in a firm but gentle way before they act on their thoughts. It sounds like they all need some reinforcement training, you can also have some treats in your pocket to reward any good behavior.

Does the new cat have his separate scratching post, etc., so the others don't have to share until they're comfortable with him? Like his own cat tree that he can lounge on and consider his own for the time being? A small water bottle sprayer, on medium spray, might come in handy to correct any cat who's making the first move to attack, or starts to growl or intimidate. A squirt at the offending cat, with a firm, but not loud, "No!".

Good luck, you have a lot of work but it will be worth it in the end. Hopefully it will result in success. I think Galaxy on one show had the people put in a screen door in the house to separate the cats enough so they wouldn't fight, but gave them the ability to see and sniff at each other. Also fed them on either side of the door so they can all see the other eating and being part of the family.

Hi Alpha, thanks for the advice.

Well, let me explain a little better how they are behaving themselves. Nino is living in the backyard house, there he has everything: a cozy bed, water, food, scratcher. But he keeps meowing at the door the enter in the house, he wants to get in and interact with the other cats.

The problem is that he goes like crazy after them, and due his size ( he is big) the other cats are scared, Cherie runs and is hidden under some bed or in some bathroom and do not leave tha place till he is outside, when they see each other, she runs away screaming, hissing and growling desperately and he goes after her, I feel sorry for her because she gets very nervous.

With the Mingau, due to the attacks he is scared too, of course it was a cat that never fought but arrived first, he wants to be the leader, but Nino is always sneaking and surrounding him and ends up attacking when he is distracted, or when he is eating, peeing or pooping. Many times Mingau is passing because he will take water on the bathroom faucet and it jumps on the biting.

We're trying to put them together, but we always have those problems and now the other cats (Mingau and cherie) are afraid of it.

Thanks for explaining Johnny, that sounds like a tough situation because it's not fair for your other two cats to be so uncomfortable and fearful of the newly rescued one. It's really bad if the other two can't even use the litter box undisturbed, that will lead to them acting out in unusual ways due to the trauma.

It sounds like Nino is really craving socialization and companionship of people and maybe other pets too, ones who will not allow him to dominate or attack. Maybe he needs to be the only pet in the household....is he friendly and affectionate to you personally? Just a thought, but maybe life would be better for all 3 cats if Nino was rehomed maybe to a loving household that had no cats?

Lightbulb

I am seeing two issues:

1. Dominant cat personalities. Mingau is unwilling to give up his status as the top cat.

2. Both Mingau and Cherie think Nino is an intruder when he invades their territory.

Certainly there is more to this situation, but these feline traits stand out because you said Mingau and Cherie are fine when Nino is outside.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.