What are your thoughts on the prong collar?

What are your thoughts on the prong collar?

Some believe that used correctly the prong collar is a great training device to control our dogs on a leash without any negative impact. However I have many concerns around using a prong collar for this purpose. First, a dog’s neck contains a trachea, esophagus, thyroid gland, lymph nodes, jugular veins, muscle and spinal column. This physiology is like our own and if damaged can cause a multitude of mild to severe health and behaviour issues. Neck injuries can be caused by blows to the neck and a collar is directly connected to the neck, so when the collar is jerked or if a dog pulls on the collar suddenly, this can absolutely cause a neck injury. If a simple collar can create a neck injury, how severe an injury might metal prongs directed toward your dog’s neck cause?

a properly trained dog will walk beside you with no need for a prong collar.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'd never use a prong collar on my dog's neck, it's obvious the injuries and discomfort it can cause. There are gentle leader type harness leashes that control the dog pulling and jumping if that's needed. Just some time with positive training can show any dog how to walk on a leash with manners.

Dangers of the prong collar. I've seen these collars on some dogs like Dobermans that are fit too tightly to begin with and the dog obviously has no need for this overkill technique of control. http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/why-this-veterinarian-hates-prong-aka-pinch-collars

As the title clearly states, I detest these devices. Here’s why:

1. They’re inhumane. Despite what your trainer or pet store employee may say, driving metal prongs into your dog’s neck hurts. That’s exactly why they so expediently stop a dog from straining at the leash, for example. Although eliciting pain may provide a quick fix, the effects are often short-lived.

2. They’re no substitute for a positive training style.
    Too many pet owners employ this tool as a substitute for a more positive type of training. Inflicting pain is an expedient, inexpensive approach, but it's often less effective than the basic obedience training that too few dog owners are willing to undertake.

3. Few seem to know how to use them properly. Why are 90 percent of dog owners not trained to use the collars correctly? I see most people apply constant pressure when a dog lunges or pulls. A sharp tug, as with a standard choke chain, is what’s required.

4. They’re unsafe when misused. While regular choke collars can sometimes prove even more of a health risk when used inappropriately (compared to prong collars, the force of correction is over a smaller surface area with choke collars, which can place more pressure on the neck), misuse of prong collars through continual pressure or frequent pinching can lead to bruises and neck and even eye damage.

5. Some owners leave them on at all times. This is an especially uncalled-for breed of misuse. I can usually spot this particular sin when I see tags attached. All I can offer in these owners' defense is that at least they’re using tags!

6. There are better options. It’s not just about basic obedience training and teaching dogs to mind their manners in public — it’s that better options exist to manage on-leash misbehavior. Front-clip harnesses and head halters, for example, are safer, more humane alternatives that will typically suffice for unruly dogs.

7. Their use encourages more of the same among other dog owners. If it’s what everyone else uses, it must be OK, right? Indeed, the popularity of prong collars perpetuates the misperception that “big, strong dogs require big, strong tools.”

If owners resolutely defend their use of a prong collar because getting dragged down the block is a very real risk (when a dog bolts after a cat, for example), I’d urge them to rethink their choice of dogs the next time around. Big, strong dogs are awesome, but they’re not for everyone.

In short, I absolutely loathe these collars. There's just no reason why the average pet owner should use them, especially when so many better alternatives exist.

Yes. I feel the same way.

By the way Sylvie, welcome to the forum! That's a cute dog in your avatar, is he yours, what breed?

Thanks Alpha1. Yes, this is one of my dogs. Her name is Mollie and she is 'I think' Wheaten Terrier.

She looks sweet, we see many Soft-Coated Wheatens at the park, people mistake my dog for one because he has similar coloring.

If prong collars are so harmless I would love to see the jerk that came up with the collar wear it all day and be walked around like a dog !

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.