Surprise deer sighting

Surprise deer sighting

I live in a 50-unit condominium complex. After heavy rains, the grassy area next to my condo (an end unit) fills up with water that quickly flows under the street. The area I live in is mostly commercial; I am not in walking distance of any park land with wild animals.

Or so I thought. I looked out the kitchen window one day and saw a doe! I grabbed Daisy to let her see the deer. The animals just looked at each other, not moving. After the doe decided to move on, the next thing I saw was a fawn with spots (no horns). Daisy was less interested in it than the mother deer, usually looking at me instead. I couldn't see their hooves because they were in the temporary river after it stopped raining. I would have taken pictures if I had my camera.

Has anyone else seen something like this?
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

I see deer, foxes and coyotes all the time, but I'm near woods, had a bear in my yard twice also. My daughter who lives close to the city had a moose run down her street early one morning not long ago.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I am near woods too, but until recently there have been no reports of deer running around.

That's great CatMom! I love seeing deer and other wildlife, just bumped an old thread with some pictures. Here's my cat a few years ago watching a deer for the first time behind our fence. Luckily we see them often, especially when our pear tree was dropping some treats for them.

IMGP2496.jpg

IMGP2501.jpg

Oh wow that is close! Good thing the buck could not get a hoof through the fence.

Is your cat a stumpy Manx?

He might be called a rumpy, he has no stump at all, the little clump of fur that you see is just pushed up fur from him sitting, etc. He is a Manx. We've lived here almost 40 years, and no deer have ever come into the yard, plenty of rabbits and voles though, and an occasional raccoon.

LOVE this photo of Loki...he looks like he's on a mission and really to defend his turf About how much does he weight? He looks very muscular.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Sorry Catmom as I didn't mean to ignore your original question. We've had bears and woodchucks mainly come into our yard and the occasional deer. One time the bear actually came up to our sliding glass door and scared the heck out of my Daisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    LOVE this photo of Loki...he looks like he's on a mission and really to defend his turf About how much does he weight? He looks very muscular.
    Thanks Esme, he's a small cat and not noticeably muscular, but he has very thick fur. The section by his belly seems to be just loose skin, giving him the rectangular shape. I think the last time the vet weighed him he was around 11 lbs.

Sorry Catmom as I didn't mean to ignore your original question. We've had bears and woodchucks mainly come into our yard and the occasional deer. One time the bear actually came up to our sliding glass door and scared the heck out of my Daisy.
    Bears are really scary close up, many years ago we had an encounter with a black bear when we were out camping in Canada. We also saw one near our truck not too long ago on a camping trip. We've seen some very beautiful and muscular grizzly/brown bears in Canada too......but thankful we have none coming into our yard or up to our door, that must have been disturbing!

No problem. I registered to talk about cats anyway.

Alpha I forgot that Loki's fur was so thick and such a lovely shade...he's quite the cutie CatMom we chat about a lot of topics so feel free to start a conversation. Seeing the deer in your area must have been a treat though. They are so graceful looking. Even when we've had the bears come around I enjoy them. Nature is really something to see!

Alpha I forgot that Loki's fur was so thick and such a lovely shade...he's quite the cutie CatMom we chat about a lot of topics so feel free to start a conversation. Seeing the deer in your area must have been a treat though. They are so graceful looking. Even when we've had the bears come around I enjoy them. Nature is really something to see!
    Loki is very cute. But then again, what cat isn't?

It was literally a big treat - for both me and Daisy. I did not know it was possible to see deer right outside my window. One question, why do deer like to walk in rainwater?

Thanks CatMom, I love cats too and think they are all cute. Glad you got to see the deer, I think animals really like it when it's wet or snowy, as long as it's not a flood or blizzard.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.