Training to Stay When the Front Door is Locked Open

Thumbs up Training to Stay When the Front Door is Locked Open

Since my boy was a pup, we started to give him the stay hand signal in front of his face and ordering him to stay when we opened the door. He's been very good about that. Sometimes we go shopping and lock the door open so we can go back and forth bringing in groceries and other stuff from the car into the house.

I always comment what a good boy he is, and good stay, and so does my husband. But I always add that we'll see if he really stays when there's someone with a dog passing by the front of our house. He doesn't give more than a couple of barks and maybe a low growl at the front window when someone is walking or running with dogs.

Well, a couple of days ago, we had the door open because I just came back from Costco and had boxes, etc. I suddenly heard him bark twice and saw a man running across the street with his dog. He barked twice, and stayed at the doorway, and did not go outside at all. I was afraid in that situation he might just dart out and run toward the dog. He's super friendly, so it would be in a playful way, but you never know how the other dog is, and of course, if there's a car coming up the block.

So I'm pretty happy about that, gave him a treat right away for being so good. Not to say he won't try and go out some other time, but I'm feeling pretty confident that he'll behave.

he's a good boy. He knows the stay command. But you never know how reliable he is, if something really catches his eye and he is determined to go, he might. Can never underestimate them ever. Phoenix is good and minds if I am here but I'd never trust her with an open door, as long as they kept going it might be ok as I've never known her to chase anyone going down the street but if they hesitated and started to come in the yard I know she'd go after them.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Glad to know that you're treating him in right way. Absolutely a good boy!

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    he's a good boy. He knows the stay command. But you never know how reliable he is, if something really catches his eye and he is determined to go, he might. Can never underestimate them ever. Phoenix is good and minds if I am here but I'd never trust her with an open door, as long as they kept going it might be ok as I've never known her to chase anyone going down the street but if they hesitated and started to come in the yard I know she'd go after them.
    One of my past dogs bolted out the front door a couple of times to greet a dog that was being walked on our side of the street in front of our house. Luckily the other dogs were friendly like mine.

Bigfoot is really so well behaved. I think it would be tough to stay put while you are coming and going but he's really got the hang of things!
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I'm lucky, because that's a command that might keep him safe one day.

I feel the same way, drop it and come are the two most important commands they really need to learn
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

thats true Irene but I err on the side of caution, you always have to expect the unexpected and be prepared. I always assume mine will bite so I'm always wary of any strangers coming around and to her anyone that doesn't live here is a stranger.

I agree that "better safe than sorry" as the saying goes.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.