Food lure wont work, need help on teach Heel.

Food lure wont work, need help on teach Heel.

New to forums so hello...

Anyways I have a Golden Retriever thats not food driven even a little. Its bad enough that after first few treats you give her she may just spit them out. We have tried many different things but nothing hold her attention. Thats not the problem though as we use a squeaky ball as her reward and has worked great.

But now I am trying to teach her to heel on my left side but she won't follow a food lure she just doesn't care. If I use the ball like we have for everything else she just sits there waiting to hear what I tell her to do or for me the throw it she wont follow the ball. Tried tug toy but she doesn't care about it either, we tried doing touch command but not working out so well.

So just looking for some idea if anyone has any to help us learn this. Was so easy for my other two dogs but both of them go crazy over any kind of treat I have.

lazytitan I know how you feel we have a Labrador he is three now but we have tried everything short of a choker chain to try and get him to walk nice on a lead, the only difference between your dog and ours is that our dog is motivated by food but that still hasn't helped, we have also tried many different harnesses that is supposed to stop them pulling.I wish I could give you a helpful answer, some one else on here might have some answers.How old is your dog?

If using a chain choker collar, make sure it's on properly...shaped into a "P" for puppy, before placing it over the head. A sideways correction is always more effective than a backwards pull, it makes them off-balance, and they don't like that feeling. Keep her on your left, when she pulls forward, do a short tug to the right correction. Using a vocal "shhh" type addition may help with the correction. Too many verbal words can be detrimental to the training. Good luck!

The other day at our puppy training class the teacher suggested taking a long wooden or plastic spoon and putting a little bit of peanut butter on it. Then hold the spoon down in your left hand (or whatever side you want your dog to walk). You can even let them lick on the spoon while you are walking to have them get the hang of it. It keeps them in the right position right next to you too. I realize that your dog is not motivated by food but sometimes peanut butter is irresistible. It's worth a try. I would only use high value treats when training too.

Can puppies have peanut butter? I'm trying to leash-train my 12-week old right now and she constantly pulls on the leash and tries to show me what she's NOT going to do. She even puts her paw/leg over the leash to pull it down. Smart girl, but a real control freak!

Peanut butter is okay for dogs, but there are warnings that they may have trouble digesting it, may have issues with the consistency, high fat and may cause obesity or pancreatitis, etc. I would just use very small amounts at a time, and I would suggest using a more natural peanut butter, one without sugar in the ingredients. Careful with other nuts though, some are toxic like almonds, macademias, walnuts, etc.

Show her you're in control, in a calm and confident way...you're the leader. No baby talk during training, worked for me!

Hi, I am new to the forum and just looking at the different post and just wanted to add that I have been told that peanut butter is irresistible to dogs and usually does not hurt them. I have also heard that liver sausage (you get it in the deli section) is irresistible to dogs as well especially when you have to give them oral medication. You place the pill in the middle of the liver sausage and they take it with out even blinking or maybe I should say barking.Good Luck!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.