Starter advice

Starter advice

I am picking up an 8 week old lab puppy in 2 weeks. It's been many years since I had a puppy, much less one that I wanted to train for indoors.

What should I do before I get the puppy? I have a crate with divider, soft bed, crate cover, food & water dishes, collar, leash.

This pup will be alone for 3 to 4 hours at a time max (in the crate). I know that is a stretch for a 2 month old (1 hour per month right?), but I won't have any other option in the beginning. Should I leave the crate divided during that time? Leave the full large crate open? I don't want her to soil her bedding but I don't want to encourage going potty in the crate either.

you seem to pretty much all set for getting her home for supplies. A young puppy should be fed three times a day. Could you put newspappers down or pee pads and put her in a gated room until she's housebroken or old enough to hold it longer than a couple of hours? Put her in the kitchen or bathroom, someplace easy to clean up because you know she will have accidents. I'm all for crate training but she is so little the crate would have to be made small and she'd have choice but to potty in there. When she's bigger and more able to hold it for longer then I"d transfer her to the crate, or you might find gating her off with baby gates where she can't do any damage might work out best for you for now

Also she will be teething, you might want to consider getting her an antler to chew on, they are hard and she can chew to her hearts content and not look for other things to destroy. Get an antler with the branches or points on it, not a small flat one that could slide down her throat and choke her. Get one fairly big, as she won't loose interest in it.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you for the help!
    I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when we get started. I will leave water for her all the time, do you have experience with the bottles you connect to a crate to keep them from tipping it over? Or should I offer her water once an hour and not leave it out while she's training?

if they are taught to use a water bottle it should work out well.

I'm going to give you a bit of unasked for advice, if you choose to follow it is up to you

Do NOT over vaccinate, just do the core shots and one shot at a time, no combo shots, its to much of a hit on their immature immune system.

I also recommend not having her spayed (if you plan to) until she has been in heat twice at around 18 months old. You want her both physically and mentally mature, they need the sex hormones to grow properly and if done to young she will remain puppylike for a long time, plus 80% of dogs that have the ACL tear in the knee were spayed and neutered young. It can happen to any dog but its more likely to happen to a dog spayed or neutered young.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.