Is it normal for cat to lose weight when switching from dry to wet food?

Is it normal for cat to lose weight when switching from dry to wet food?

My cat used to eat mostly dry food, but ever since he got somatitus, I've switched him to wet food. Is it normal for cats to lose weight when switching from dry food to wet foods?

There are many variables to consider. Is Cookie eating the same amount of wet food that he ate in kibble form? Are you making the switch slowly to help him adjust? How long are you leaving the wet food out for him? And of course what exactly are the old and new foods?
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

can food has more fat and carbs so once his system adjusts to the wet food he will tend to gain weight. If he starts getting to fat change to a senior or low cal wet food
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

You can prevent him from getting fat by serving scheduled meals instead of keeping it out all day.

Dry food tends to be higher in calories than wet food and that may be the main reason. Even doctors recommend only wet cat food if someone wants her cat to lose weight. Do not really worry about little changes as it is normal.

I buy lots of different brands of canned food. My one constipation prone kitty loves Wellness natural grain free. The others won't eat it and they like Nature's Variety Instinct Duck and the lamb get a paws up too.

I offer them WeruvaTruluxe as side dishes. The cats seem to eat the higher end food more if they have a couple of nibbles of something else too, but that's just my crew.
    Last edited by Micheal; 05-02-2018 at 01:21 AM.

The reason cats get more calories eating dry food is it can be left out all day. If you leave wet food out a long time, it will become unappealing to the cat. That does not happen with kibbles, so they are likely to eat more.

it depends on how your kitty adjusts to the food intake. maybe the new food your kitty is eating contains letter nutrients for your kitty to put on weight? either as long as the weight is comfortable and right it should be fine!

Hi,

I'm sorry to say I don't have any tips or answers for you. Hopefully the other people on the forum can help!

Good luck!
    ​Chicken lover!

My cats are super picky so any little change causes them to turn there noses up at what is being offered. With that being said I've never had one lose more than a pound or so when switching food.

I wouldn't worry unless it goes on for an extended amount of time or the weightloss gets severe.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.