birds in cages

birds in cages

I am always concerned that people will put birds in cages that are too small for the birds to move/fly around. I am wondering how many pet bird owners use cages that actually are large enough, or else let the birds fly around rooms. I have not had pet birds for decades, but when I/my family did, we let them fly around the house.

I don't like to see anything in a cage, especially if they are put in a cage and never bothered with again except to feed them. That is no life for anything, birds belong outside flying around where they were meant to be. I'm not a big fan of birds because I don't like anything that can fly at me but if I did have one it would not spend its life in a cage
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

There is an animal preserve I've gone to, where they had a lot of exotic birds which were in an area that was not even closed. The birds obviously considered it home, staying in the same grouping of trees and using the shelter housing that was there for them. I was so surprised to see all those colorful birds just stay in one place like that, in a non-tropical climate. Maybe the fact that they had a place to go in cold weather, plus had lots of easily available food, made them feel safe and secure staying there. Some of them were actually calling hello and other things from up in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by catsandcorals View Post
    I am always concerned that people will put birds in cages that are too small for the birds to move/fly around. I am wondering how many pet bird owners use cages that actually are large enough, or else let the birds fly around rooms. I have not had pet birds for decades, but when I/my family did, we let them fly around the house.
    How many birds you've put in one cage and which you cage you're using. Mine in prevue flight cage. It has enough space to fly around for my budgie.

Quote Originally Posted by gemma23426 View Post
    How many birds you've put in one cage and which you cage you're using. Mine in prevue flight cage. It has enough space to fly around for my budgie.
    That is good to hear. Most of the bird cages I see in pet stores are rediculously small compared to the needs of the birds.

Then you can search on Amazon. It worked for me.

I agree with Linda on this one. No animals should be put in cages outside of zoos and veterinary hospitals. I don't care how big a cage is or what kind of animal is using it. If you don't want a bird flying around the house, don't get a bird.
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

I see this as an issue with many small animals including rabbits and hamsters. An enclosure serves as a secure environment that should be designed to support the animal in terms of environmental conditions (providing micro climates for animals requiring specific heat or humidity ranges) and behavioural expression (species specific considerations such as substrate to burrow in, perches to climb on, secure hiding places or other features to encourage expression of natural behavioural repertoires). Enclosures also provide security to safeguard small animals from injury in the house or from otherwise losing them, as well as biohazard security as smaller animals tend not to be toiled trained. Often these things aren't considered fully so inappropriately small enclosures are provided instead. Both space and environmental complexity are important factors to consider for animal housing.

There's nothing inherently wrong with providing a small animal an enclosure, as it is possible to create an environment that benefits and supports the animal as well as providing supplemental enrichment with time outside the enclosure (as I don't believe any good owner should avoid interacting with their pets), but if an enclosure restricts behavioural repertoires or is under-stimulating or lacking in some other manner, these are the issues that can create frustration or stress for the animal. I find manufacturers tend to sell enclosures designed to merely hold the animal rather than support them environmentally. I used to have budgies myself and the enclosure was open almost the entire day so the birds could choose whether or not they wanted to come out for a fly around the living room, but they would go back inside when they wanted to rest or sleep, they clearly felt secure with where they lived. we also had cats so the budgies were secured when no-one was in the room with the birds for their own safety. I enjoyed it when one would fly over and sit on my head, but often they'd leave a little present lol.

I do believe manufacturers need to make more of an effort with providing enclosures that take into account environmental needs (including sufficient space and complexity) and that the importance of environmental enrichment be pushed, perhaps in schools seeing as animals are such an integral part of our society.
    Feel free to visit my website for information on Reptilian Care
    https://reptile-savvy.weebly.com/

how about we just leave animals alone out where they belong. Then you don't have to worry about cages.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I think the issue lies with animals born in captivity. I don't advocate capture of wild animals either so we're both on the same page with that one, absolutely in agreement there but we can't turn a blind eye to the fact that captive animals are currently abundant and need caring for, and the best way to do that is to competently house and care for them. But yes, I'll reiterate for clarity that we both want to see animals in the best circumstances so I think we're in agreement at the core of this.
    Feel free to visit my website for information on Reptilian Care
    https://reptile-savvy.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    how about we just leave animals alone out where they belong? Then you don't have to worry about cages.
    The way you wrote that implies all species belong outside, including cats.

I believe we were talking about animals that should be left in the wild, including parrots, nothing was said about dogs and cats, you need to get a grip and stop reading things into things that aren't there

I have a compromise for people who want to keep birds inside: screened enclosures similar to what people build for their cats.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.