Please, help me understand my strange new kitten's behavior!

Please, help me understand my strange new kitten's behavior!

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I'm glad I found this fantastic website because I really need some help right now. (I'm not english so any corrections are appreciated!)

I've always loved cats and I've had them my entire life. My cats have always been very sweet and cuddly, but playful, and I love them just like that.
    Recently me and my parents decided to adopt a new kitten because we missed having a cute baby. We were really excited, I was so happy.

Poppy was WAY too young to be separated from her mother, she was around 6 weeks, but we were ''forced'' to take her home even though she was so young, because the lady who was giving her had too many kittens and she couldn't take care of them all.

The kitty was very angry at first, kept hissing at me and my mom, but we knew it was normal and she would eventually settle.
    Thing is, 1st day we took her home, she started playing with everything and seemed very content except she wouldn't let anyone near her. This was weird, if she was scared she wouldn't want to play, right? She didn't even try to run away or hide, she was just... mad at us.
    Once again, we thought that this was normal, even though it never happened before with any of my cats.

2 weeks have passed since then, and Poppy is definitely the weirdest kitten I've ever had. She rarely sleeps during the day, is always jumping or running unsettlingly fast, playing with EVERYTHING, biting my hands and feet. She refuses to be pet or stroked and will get very angry if we put her in our lap/grab her. She pees everywhere (but somehow poops in her litterbox). she absolutely NEVER purrs or even looks at us with affection. But I know she trusts me, she isn't scared, just distant. But (almost forgot) like 5-6 times a day, she will try to nurse on me, and I hate it.

Is this behavior normal? It's disturbing how she spends 15 hours a day running and jumping around without ever stopping, and lacks any affection.

Any answers will be much appreciated!!

Welcome to the forum! I like it too except it needs more active members, so it is nice to have a newbie here.

You asked for corrections, so here they are:

Do you mean English is your second language?

"me and my parents." It should be "my parents and I."

Add "to us" after "giving her."

Now about that weird kitten . . .

At age six weeks, suddenly taken from Mommy prematurely, Poppy had a good reason to "nurse" a human five times per day. However, that is around the time kittens start to eat wet foods exclusively. Still showing that behavior at eight weeks is not normal unless you just mean she is kneading on your lap, which means she is content and loves you. (That is how kittens get all the milk out of their mothers.)

Attacking your hands and feet should never be allowed. Make sure she has interactive toys to play with instead of human flesh. She might want a toy that looks like a fishing pole with some feathers or an animal at the end. At this time Poppy is teething, so she also needs toys that are safe to chew on - stuffed animals, catnip pillows, etc. with no small parts like jingle bells she can bite off.

Not wanting to be picked up and sit on your lap are normal and have nothing to do with lack of affection. Some cats simply hate it no matter how much they love their people. Young kittens are naturally more active and less likely to be lap warmers. Some cats will jump on laps but not stay there if forced to do it.

Peeing everywhere could be related to leaving her mother too early, although my guess is she is stressed out about her new living situation. Someone who has been there, done that should have better ideas to solve that problem, but to start I would want to know if it happened before she changed addresses.

In summary, you don't have the weirdest kitten, just a very wild one who needs to be properly socialized and litterbox trained. Good luck!
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

has this kitten seen a vet yet, if not then she should, she no doubt has at the very least worms, and she will need baby shots and while you are there you can ask the vet about the concerns you have with her behavior. Does she jump in your lap or do you force her to sit with you. Don't force her, she'll come to you in her own time. Some cats never get over the need to suck, I've heard of cats that are adults and suck on their tail. Its a soothing thing to them. And I agree with catmom she is probably stressed. Stress can make them do weird things. Plus she was taken from her littermates and now she is alone, that is enough to stress her out.

Please get her to a vet, he will give her an examination and head off any problems before they happen and he can give you advice on her behavior issues. But for the most part its just kitten stuff and she'll outgrow it.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I agree with Linda on the littermate part. My cat Daisy was stressed about suddenly being separated from her twin bother in addition to finding herself in a new environment.

The tail sucking she mentioned is a chronic medical condition if it never stops. Normally kittens outgrow the behavior.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.