How to Keep Your Dog Active and Fit

How to Keep Your Dog Active and Fit

Canines are designed for movement. If your dog doesnít get regular opportunities to run, play and exercise aerobically, even if heís not overweight he can end up with arthritis and other debilitating conditions that affect his bones, joints, muscles and internal organs. In addition, many canine behavior problems are the result a lack of physical and mental activity.
    Your dog should be getting an absolute minimum of 20 minutes of sustained heart-thumping exercise three times a week. Thirty minutes is better than 20, and six or seven days a week is better than three. Itís important to keep in mind that simply strolling with your dog isnít an adequate workout. He needs sessions of power walking ó moving at a pace of 4 to 4.5 miles an hour (about a 15-minute mile) to achieve good cardiovascular intensity and caloric burn.
    Power walks can provide important health benefits not only for your dog, but also for you, including lowering your risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and joint disease. In fact, if you do it right, power walks with your dog may just replace your need for a gym membership.
    And what could be better than spending some extra bonding time with your pet, while insuring heís getting all the physical activity he needs to be healthy? First, though, you have to reprogram your pooch if heís grown accustomed to sniff-piddle-dawdle walks. Donít expect to make a one-day transition from leisurely strolls to power walking. It will take several sessions for him to catch on.
    Of course, youíll also be taking your dog on casual walks, so youíll need to help him learn to distinguish between the two. It could be a time of day thing ó for example, you could schedule slower walks for first thing in the morning and again before bedtime, and workout walks in between.
    Or you could develop a verbal cue that tells your pet heís about to go on a power walk. I also strongly encourage the use of a harness for exercising with your dog. A leash attached to his collar can quickly become a health hazard as youíre cruising city streets or even country roads. Many dogs learn which walk theyíre going on by whether the leash gets attached to their collar (short walk) or a harness (time to get serious!).
    Other Options for Exercising Your Dog

If you arenít able to move at a power walk pace, youíll need to involve your dog in other types of cardiovascular exercise like swimming, fetch, Frisbee, agility competition, flyball or dock jumping. You might also consider a bike ride alongside your dog using a special dog bike leash.
    Some dog parents believe if they do lots of weekend activities with their pet they can make up for lack of exercise on weekdays. But the problem with this approach is that you can actually create injury to your dog by encouraging him to be a weekend warrior.

When a dogís body isnít well conditioned, sudden bursts of activity can cause injuries that lead to long-term joint damage. Consistent daily exercise is a much safer approach. Even if you have a huge fenced-in backyard, your dog wonít get the exercise he needs unless you get out there with him and engage him in activities that will give him a consistent cardiovascular workout.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...t_rid=54394133
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I like to walk our dogs twice a day, two laps each, around the yard in side the fence of our 2-1/2 acre property. Good for the dogs + humans too.

Mine goes for a run in the woods daily, as soon as she sees me put my shoes on she is ready to go, my son had taken my car to work the other day and when she ran out to go she couldn't find my car and she was frantic, as soon as he got home she went but she was in a state until she got to go for her run
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

We always take our dog for daily walks, just came back from a camping trip in the mountains and he had a 3+ mile walk every day besides running around and playing. I think it's important to get dogs out each day, too many people especially in cities keep their dogs in the yard with no mental or physical stimulation....or worse, in the house or garage.

A good morning and evening walk is must keep him active. Don't give too much food because it will make his body fatty and lazy. Play with your dog for sometimes if you find some time during the day.

Morning walks keeps them active and then some play time .

Walking is really good for the dogs but they still need to be monitored knowing that numbers of missing dogs got higher every time. Let's keep an eye for our dogs and accompany them always if possible.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.